REprogramming a NEW KEY FOB...ASAP!!!?

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Ok, so today I went outside to work on the car. I recalibrated my TPS and also wanted to change the + terminal on my battery.
Well, in order to do the TPS, the key must be in the ON position.
While under the hood I disconnected the + terminal and swapped thenew terminal on and reinstalled it.

Well, i locked the keys in the car because when i reconnected the battery, the doors locked.
So I had to hit the unlock button on the door with a coat hanger.
NOW my key fobs don't work. NEITHER of them(my gf had my spare set with her at work today).
I tried resetting them using the on-off 8 times within 10 seconds method, but that didn't work either.

I'd like to try disconnecting the battery again and hitting the key fob when I reconnect it, but I'm afraid the doors will lock again. For some reason my 2keys I have will not open my doors or trunk. I HAVE TO use the key fob to lock/unlock the doors. The ignition cylinder must've been replaced at one time.

Anyway, you can see my predicament, but what do I need to do? I can't even lock it up cuz I won't be able to unlock it!!!!

Help me ASAP

Thanks guys...

riored94cobra

Established Member
to reprogram one, you have to teardown the left side of your trunk and touch the two metal prods together with wire to put ur car into the reprogram mode.

while in reprogram mode u should be able to get ur current key fob to work.

I forget the exact directions, but I've done it on my 95 gt with one fob before. I got the directions from the ebay seller who sold me a fob. u might want to try and e-mail one of those sellers for a copy, i wouldn't pay for it tho.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
OK, so just touch the 2 prongs and then start hitting the buttons on the remote? That's it, huh?
What's the deal with turning the ignition 8 times, cuz that certainly wasn't working.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
OK, all I could locate in the driver's side trunk with 2 prongs was the end of a harness, next to the white keyless entry box. I tried jumping them but got no spark or anything. It did nothing...now what?
Is the white box junk???

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
turn the key to on.. just the dash lights come on... then take a pocket knife, cross the 2 pins together, then youll hear the lock go down and up.. take the knife or jumper wire out.. then hit 1 button on each remote... locks while cycle for each to confirm it programmed. turn the key to off.. locks will cycle again. thats all... if ya need help instant message me

97cobraheaven

Established Member
its kinda in there but its obvious when you see it. the on/off 8 times is for the new edge guys, but you have to also hit lock, unlock, lock, unlock, then the 8 on/off. is it workin yet?

rgurleyjr

Random SVT Poster
Established Member
Yes, it's grey. You insert a jumper pin, turn on your ignition, then after the locks cycle one time, hit any button on your first key FOB. After the locks cycle to let you know you programmed that FOB, you do the same for any other FOBS you may have.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I tried that thoutg.
But I had the key turned in the ignition when I jumped the plug. but it didn't do ANYTHING.

OCSnk

NowIESnk
Established Member
Here are instructions I have......very easy

You have to turn the ignition to acc then go to the trunk and momentarily jump the programming connecting pins in the quarter-panel. The doors will lock and unlock to confirm programming mode. Then hit any button on each remote. The doors will lock and unlock to confirm, and then turn the ignition off. The doors should lock and unlock again to end programming mode.

the connector is on the driver's side mounted to the wheel well portion of the fender. You are looking for a small 2 pin male connector that is exposed.

Other key intructions

Spare Key Programming

Note:
Service control modules require only one key to be programmed before allowing the vehicle to start. If a control module is changed, the technician must inform the customer to program any additional keys using the Spare Key Programming procedure detailed in the Owner Guide.
The system has capacity to store a maximum of 16 keys. After the initial key has been programmed or using any programmed key, follow the steps below:
Note:
Encoded keys must have correct mechanical key cut for vehicle.
l Cycle ignition switch from RUN to OFF with a programmed key.

l Within 15 seconds after this cycle, insert a new encoded key into ignition switch and turn to RUN or START.

l If programming is successful, the THEFT indicator will illuminate for two seconds and the control module will enable the vehicle to start.

l Repeat until all chosen keys have been programmed, up to 16 keys total.

l If programming is not successful, the THEFT indicator will:

-- Flash for one minute if no key code is received. The key is either damaged or is a non-encoded key. (Try a new key and start procedure over again.)

-- Flash for 15 minutes if key code is received yet engine is disabled. The key was not programmed successfully. Start procedure over again.

l If programming is not successful, possibly the new key was not inserted within 15 seconds, all 16 key codes have been stored, or the key is a non-encoded key. If the key was not encoded or inserted within 15 seconds, repeat procedure.

Another

The following is the procedure for programing a THIRD key.

1) Insert an existing key and turn the ignition to ON (Run) and then back to OFF.

2) Within 5 seconds insert the 2ND existing key and turn the ignition to ON and then back to OFF.

3) Within 10 seconds insert the NEW 3rd key and turn the ignition to the ON position. Leave it ON for 1 second and then back to OFF.

4) The security light will light up for 3 seconds to indicate that the NEW key has been successfully programmed. That's it.

Now if you lose a key, you still have two keys so you can again program a 3rd new key. Without getting ripped off by the dealer.

Last edited:

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I put the key in the ignition, turned the key and then tripped the 2 prongs with a flathead screwdriver.
I did the same thing yesterday, but with a piece of wire, and it did nothing!
So, to whomever may dig this thread up through a Search, be sure to use a scredriver to trip the small Gray 2 prong connector behind the trim on the passenger side of the trunk.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP GUYS!!!!!!

-P.J.-

Users who are viewing this thread