Interior Paint Comparison

Homebrew

Established Member
After trying 2 different paints to try to match our interiors and getting what I consider to be less than acceptable results, I decided it was about time somebody did a comparison between the most recommended paints for our interior.

First Let me say this didn't turn out as well as I had hoped. First I find it terribly difficult to get the camera to reflect the exact colors that the eyes see. That coupled with the fact, at least in my car, no two pieces seem to match. I am comparing the right colors when I say that. I realize that the shifter bezel for instance is two-toned. The color in the center should match the radio bezel and the outer color should match the console. Turns out, after getting it in the right light, my original radio bezel and the inner part of the shifter bezel don't match. Who'd of thunk it. The instrument cluster bezel seems to be different than both of those. Now they're all very close to each other, but vary slightly in shade. separately, it's hard to tell the difference, but if you look at them side by side, you notice slight differences.

Again I can only say I've seen this for sure on my car, but I doubt I'm alone in this. I suspect that's why there seems to be a wide variety of recommendations for interior paint. People going by a different parts that vary slightly in their shade. That coupled with differing opinions of what matches and what doesn't causes alot of confusion. While I'd like this to be the end all on the matter, that simply is not the case. I can only offer you pictures for your interpretation as well as my first hand thoughts and opinions.

Here are the paints being compared:
M4JZ-19M547-4245H Medium Graphite
M4JZ-19M547-4149H Charcoal Black
M4JZ-19M547-1074H Midnight Black
50Resto 01-04 Dark Charcoal
Duplicolor Dark Charcoal Bumper Paint

The colors were sprayed on sheet of plexi in strips approx. 8.5" tall by 3.5" wide. They were not sprayed on an actual interior piece and mounted. I do have pictures of the 50resto on the radio bezel and mounted however, but for the test, I only did the strips due to paint quantity limitations with the ford paint. The ford paint came in 6oz cans and I wanted to have enough of whatever color appeared the best to me to paint some interior pieces.

Thoughts going in:
Having used the 50resto before I did this, I knew it wasn't even close and there had to be something better. Having also used the Duplicolor, while it was better than the 50resto, it only seemed slightly better. I draw those conclusions on having sprayed my radio bezel with each on previous occasions. I knew going in that M4JZ-19M547-4245H Medium Graphite wasn't even a contender, but threw it in because I seen it mentioned on at least 2 occasions, most likely by someone who assumed an older car was under discussion. I assumed the best candidate was between M4JZ-19M547-4149H and M4JZ-19M547-1074H.

Without further delay, here are the pics:
IMG_1393r.jpg

IMG_1394r.jpg

IMG_1395r.jpg

IMG_1396r.jpg

IMG_1397r.jpg

IMG_1398r.jpg

IMG_1399r.jpg

IMG_1400r.jpg

IMG_1401r.jpg

IMG_1402r.jpg

IMG_1403.jpg

Here is a shot of the 50Resto paint on my radio bezel mounted in the car:
IMG_1329r.jpg

Conclusions:
In my eyes, none of these seem to be a very good match for our interiors. That said, having tried 2 of the colors already, the only other color I'm interested in trying on my bezel is the M4JZ-19M547-1074H Midnight Black. For the radio bezel, inner shifter bezel, etc., I think this is the best of the 5. However my opinion may change when I paint the radio bezel and mount it. One thing I discovered painted the radio bezel in the past, it always looks like it will match better when it's out of the car. Somehow it always looks different mounted. When I finish repairing my customized radio bezel, I'll paint it with the midnight black and add pictures to this thread. I might even spray it the duplicolor so you can see what that looks like mounted. I had hoped to prove that one of these colors was better suited to the console, dash, etc., but that doesn't seem to be the case either. For instance, if someone asked which color to use for a pillar pod, I'd have no idea what to tell them. Maybe after some further experimentation, an option will present itself. IMPO, any of these colors will stand out amongst the rest of the interior. It's just a matter of how much.

Notes:
The M4JZ-19M547-4149H seems way too dark to be a good match for anything in my opinion. Though I would like to explore this color with a larger interior piece to further reinforce this.

The Duplicolor is a close runner along with the M4JZ-19M547-1074H, however it seems to have almost a blueish tint to it when compared to the other colors. The hue of the duplicolor just seems to be wrong, though it is close in shade.

The M4JZ-19M547-1074H is going to be what I spray my bezel with next, I have hopes that it will be the best of what was compared, but it still won't be a close enough match for my tastes. It also appears to have a slightly different hue than the factory color however.

The 50Resto paint IMPO wasn't even close when I used it. I would not recommend it to anyone.

The M4JZ-19M547-4245H was exactly what I expected, a lighter grey most likely used on earlier models.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions are appreciated. Any additional paints I try will be added to this post, though at this time I have no other paints I'm looking to try. However when I repaint my bezel and get it mounted, I'll post pics and my impressions.

-Kevin

Zeyzer

Blue Blooded
Established Member
Awesome stuff Kevin.... I think I'm gonna give the 4149H a shot on my steering column pod and see how that goes.

Iron Fist

Established Member
Homebrew,

Colors look different under different lighting conditions, (In the plastics industry we match colours based on the lighting source) look at the paint swatches indoors and reevaluate with an incandescent bulb and then under a florescent bulb.

Homebrew

Established Member
Zeyzer said:
Awesome stuff Kevin.... I think I'm gonna give the 4149H a shot on my steering column pod and see how that goes.

Just a heads up, though I know the pics above are misleading, 4149H is actually a tad darker than the interior. Whichever way you go though, if you wouldn't mind and have the ability, could you send me pics or post them here so people can see how well it matches for future reference.

Iron Fist said:
Homebrew,

Colors look different under different lighting conditions, (In the plastics industry we match colours based on the lighting source) look at the paint swatches indoors and reevaluate with an incandescent bulb and then under a florescent bulb.

Thanks, I had actually heard about that before though. :beer: I purposely took the pics outside in the sun since more people would view their cars outside than under florescent or incandescent lighting. Thats the more natural scenario and I wanted to reflect what would likely be the appearance in those conditions. My problem seems to be with the camera, or more than likely, my usage of the camera. Colors often appear darker in my pics than in real life. It also can vary pic to pic. Here's an example of my first custom radio bezel, painted with the same can of 50resto paint I had pictured above.
cobra_bezel5.jpg

The picture above I was referencing:
IMG_1329r.jpg

The bottom picture is closer to how it looks in person. Notice though how much darker the top picture is. They were painted with the same can't of paint and in person they both look more like the bottom picture. Part of the problem(at least in those pictures) is using the crappy built in flash. However I'm still trying to accurately reflect what my eyes see in whatever kind of lighting. Regardless of the manner of lighting though, what I see and what the camera shows, tends to be different. Alot of has to to do with my inexperience with a DSLR. But because of that, what I've posted here is only useful for comparison's sake. It's not the definitive answer I wanted to present. It somewhat is for me, but for others, my opinion is just that, my opinion.

In my pics 4149H looks like a good match for the inner shifter bezel, but in person(to me) it appears a bit too dark. I know can see it's because of shadowing. I think I may try to take some new pictures, maybe I'll do it under controlled lighting, though the only thing I have to use for that is a positionable florescent lamp. Maybe I should try some later in the day shots as it was a tad bright when I took the pics in the first post.

CEE1NG_RED

Established Member
Homebrew...which interior paint would you recommend for the a pillar, steering pod, and dual speedometer pod? I know pictures may change due to camera and flash, but what by far is the best that you would recommend for these 3 parts? Post some more pics of your progress... Good work and information.

Last edited:

black 10th vert

Established Member
I'm wanting to know the consensus as well, since I have the dual gauge cluster bezel that I want to paint to match. Which of these colors do you think is best for that?

thanks, Brian

03zycobra

Established Member
I used the Duplicolor Dark Charcoal Bumper paint and I coudn't be happier. It's been 2yrs now and it looks as good as the day I painted it. I don't believe there is a perfect match out there but this is as close as I have seen.

CEE1NG_RED

Established Member
I used the Duplicolor Dark Charcoal Bumper paint and I coudn't be happier. It's been 2yrs now and it looks as good as the day I painted it. I don't believe there is a perfect match out there but this is as close as I have seen.

Pics in the car w/ the sun out please... :burnout:

Homebrew

Established Member
Honestly I can't recommend any of them whole heartedly if you're picky like I am. However If I absolutely had to choose one of these, I would probably go with the duplicolor charcoal or the 1074h. None of these are very good matches IMHO. 03zycobra if you have pics and wouldn't mind posting them in the thread, it would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to see this thread fill with pictures of other people's results.

-Kevin

CEE1NG_RED

Established Member
Honestly I can't recommend any of them whole heartedly if you're picky like I am. However If I absolutely had to choose one of these, I would probably go with the duplicolor charcoal or the 1074h. None of these are very good matches IMHO. 03zycobra if you have pics and wouldn't mind posting them in the thread, it would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to see this thread fill with pictures of other people's results.

-Kevin

Homebrew...what is the best match for the "red circled" portion (refer to picture below). Base on the picture, I see that 50resto matches best, but how does it look in person? Thanks...

PAINT.jpg

03zycobra

Established Member

-Kevin

I can e-mail you a pic. It's not the best though. It's funny though looking at the interiors of alot of mustangs, it seems that some interiors stock don't match. Had that problem with my 02 Saleen. Nothing matched.

SpectorV

Established Member
great info... figures it would be hard to match, my 01 had dark charcoal and my 03 cobra is medium charcoal

black 10th vert

Established Member
guess I'll try the Duplicolor first, and see how it looks. My dual gauge cluster bezel is black right now, so it doesn't match anything. Since I have an anniversary car, I also contemplated doing the lipstick red, like the seat insets, and door panels - anyone know what color that is (to by in a spraycan)?

Brian

03zycobra

Established Member
Prepping the pod is critcal. Wipe with alcohol and lint free towel, apply light coat, let dry and repeat. If you are going to do this outside you might want to wait until spring.

black 10th vert

Established Member
Thanks, I was planning to wait until some warmer weather to do the actual painting, but wanted to line up the "right" color in the meantime. Have you had any luck with a particular color?

Brian

Homebrew

Established Member
Homebrew...what is the best match for the "red circled" portion (refer to picture below). Base on the picture, I see that 50resto matches best, but how does it look in person? Thanks...

PAINT.jpg

That pic is misleading. I really need to retry the pics I think. I assure you that the can I got from 5.0 resto matches NOTHING in the car. You can see a shot in the first post of my radio bezel painted with the 5.0 resto paint and it's far too light for anything in the car.

I can e-mail you a pic. It's not the best though. It's funny though looking at the interiors of alot of mustangs, it seems that some interiors stock don't match. Had that problem with my 02 Saleen. Nothing matched.

If you wouldn't mind, I would like to see the pic. I know what you mean about the stock interiors not matching, my console is noticeably darker than my dash. It was like that from the factory.

Is it Charcoal grey? Pics? I don't want it to be glossy like auto/bumper paint.

IMO it does have a slight sheen, but nothing to be too concerned about. The one thing I personally don't like about the duplicolor is that I feel it has a slight blueish tint to it. YMMV though.

-Kevin

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread