New "to me" rims I'm working on.

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
I had a local guy put a set of Steeda rims up for sale. They are Pentars, but I think they used to be called ultra lites back in the day. Anyway, They were machined aluminum that had the clear coat coming off. So I picked them up for $400, with the plan of stripping them and re clearing them. So I sent the rear two rims to Michigan to be widened from 9" to 11". This cost me $380. When i got them back, the whole stripping process didn't work as planned, and was really starting to be a pain in the ass. So I had a local guy that does powder coating check them out. I was on the fence about Powdering them Black or not, when he showed me his chrome Powder. I loved it, so that's what i went with. He's only charging $240 to do all 4. He just sent me a pic of the first rim. The rest should be done tomorrow. I will e sure to post them up once I put them on the car also. Not too bad for a little over $1200.
tiefitr5.jpg

tiefitr4.jpg

tiefitr3.jpg

tiefitr2.jpg

tiefitr1.jpg
[/QUOTE]

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Hell - That's a great deal! Would love to get a better look at the chrome powdercoat. I have heard things about ut but never saw in person.

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
Hell - That's a great deal! Would love to get a better look at the chrome powdercoat. I have heard things about ut but never saw in person.
I had never seen it before either, but he showed me some stuff he'd done with it and it looked really good. Much better than I thought it would. It's not quite as shiny as real chrome, but it's shinier than Polished aluminum. Also they will be relatively maintenance free. He's gonna clear over the Powder also.
My only problem now is I want to run 28" tires on the street as I do at the track, and the only tires available, that I know of, are M+H 325's and MT 295's. The M+H's are 10.3" tread width and the MT's are 10.6" tread width, So I'm afraid they are gonna look stupid on an 11" rim. So I will probably Either end up selling these rims for 18"ers, to be able to run the MT 345 28" tall tires they make for 18's, or swap back down to 26" tall tires for the street.

jazzcornet

powdercoating technician
thanks so much for the props man. I'm really glad you like them. When you first came over to look at them, you didn't seem too enthused about it and I was beginning to get worried that you wouldn't like them. I have the second rim in the oven right now but the others will have to wait until morning when i have some daylight to make sure i coat them evenly.

32vofFury

WHINE & DINE!
Established Member
my dad is getting the tranmission case in the dragster done in chrome powdercoating. Should look pretty good.

wheelhopper

Established Member
I believe Steeda calls those the Ultralite II. Be sure to post some high resolution pics once they come in. This could be the answer to making curb rashed rims look good for relatively cheap.

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
nice, look alot like CCW 505A's

who did the widening? i need a set narrowed
Thanks, Seeing a bunch of the vettes running around on the 505A's is what sold me on the look, I just can't afford to drop $4k in rims.

I used the most reputable place I could find. They are in Michigan, and they've done a ton of high hp cars with no failures.
http://www.weldcraftwheels.com/

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
I believe Steeda calls those the Ultralite II. Be sure to post some high resolution pics once they come in. This could be the answer to making curb rashed rims look good for relatively cheap.

I will. I'm no Photog, but I do have a 7.3 meg point and shoot. I'm probably gonna have a photographer friend take some shots once I get the rims on and some darker tint on the car.
If you need anything done, Jazz can def hook you up, although I think these rims were a bit more work than he is getting paid for!

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
thanks so much for the props man. I'm really glad you like them. When you first came over to look at them, you didn't seem too enthused about it and I was beginning to get worried that you wouldn't like them. I have the second rim in the oven right now but the others will have to wait until morning when i have some daylight to make sure i coat them evenly.

How hard is it to powdercoat (black) over chrome rims?

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
Well when he cleared over one of the rims, it dulled the finish more than I liked, so He's gonna take the clear off the rim and then I will pick them up. They won't have the extra protection without the clear, but we'll see how they hold up over time. My car doesn't see salt or bad weather, so they should last quite a while. You can see here in the pics how much the clear dulled the finish.

fade3.jpg

fade2.jpg

fade1.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread