Oh no you didn't...

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
My clutch cable snapped on my last night on Montgomery ave while I was at a red light pushing the clutch in to go in gear. I just heard a PING and the pedal went dead, I found the top of the cable on the floor. The wire literally just snapped, no rust or anything. Stock cable, been on the car since '94 unless someone had changed it before it was mine. Some of you have felt the HEAVY clutch in my car. Until then I thought that when I said I have the heaviest clutch ever I was just being biased. I'm hoping that the cable snapped because it was just bad, or maybe snagged on something and if the new cable makes the clutch feel better I'll be happy.

Either way, I'm stressing out right now because I need the car ready to go by 4:15 to get to work. I have a new clutch cable coming into a local Ford dealership and Kevin is gonna help me throw it on. With two determined men, how long would you guys think it might take?

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
Sign me up! Ah it's gonna be a pain jacking the car up... I have to roll it up onto wood planks to get the floor jack underneath and that's no fun when you can't get it in gear. I'm sure running it through the engine bay into the trans should be easy enough it's just getting it through the firewall and through my quadrant that I'm afraid of. My power seat doesn't work either so there's not much space to work under there.

If you can provide me with any "tips" while I do this, I would be forever grateful.

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
Lemme guess, you have a UPR triple hook quadrant right?

My UPR triple hook snapped 3 cables in a year the exact same way you just described, I switched to a Steeda double hook a year and a half ago and I've yet to snap another cable.

Back when the cables kept snapping I only had to wake up a half hour early for work and I had plenty of time to put the new cable in as long as I cut the plastic/rubber self adjuster piece off the night before.

TRBO VNM

hopefully you have a pry bar. hook it on the quadrant first under the dash. then into the clutch fork, but you may need something to pry the clutch fork forward to get the cable into it. a pry bar works great.

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member

My UPR triple hook snapped 3 cables in a year the exact same way you just described, I switched to a Steeda double hook a year and a half ago and I've yet to snap another cable.

Back when the cables kept snapping I only had to wake up a half hour early for work and I had plenty of time to put the new cable in as long as I cut the plastic/rubber self adjuster piece off the night before.

Not sure which quadrant I have, probably the triple hook. How do the "hooks" work, does the cable just go through one?

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
You'll see how it works when you get under there, it's self explanitory when you look at it. I never needed a pry bar with mine, I was always able to run the cable throuh the engine bay, screw the firewall adjuster all the way in, run it through the firewall, hook it on the clutch fork, crawl under the dash and hook it on the quadrant, then screw the firewall adjuster out to bring the engagement point up a bit.

TRBO VNM

You'll see how it works when you get under there, it's self explanitory when you look at it. I never needed a pry bar with mine, I was always able to run the cable throuh the engine bay, screw the firewall adjuster all the way in, run it through the firewall, hook it on the clutch fork, crawl under the dash and hook it on the quadrant, then screw the firewall adjuster out to bring the engagement point up a bit.

assuming he has those aftermarket parts.

also, sorry about your bad luck with the UPR. I have been running their triple hook since I had my 92 stang and I have never had a problem.

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
assuming he has those aftermarket parts.

also, sorry about your bad luck with the UPR. I have been running their triple hook since I had my 92 stang and I have never had a problem.

You're one of the lucky ones man, there have been a bunch of us SN-95 guys that have had awful experiences with the UPR triple hook ripping the heads off OEM clutch cables in the same spot Busta is describing. Hit or miss parts for the loss :(

Venimus03

Established Member
Check with SVT-VNM I believe he has dealt with clutch cables before :rolling:

Last edited:

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
I just finished pulling the old one out. What I noticed is that the lever in the clutch housing is very very easy to push in and release, which gets me thinking that maybe (hopefully) my cable was the problem for the pedal being stiff as hell. Kevin's on the way with the new one which cost me a nice $168 and we'll have it on in no time. Thanks a lot for all the help guys, it wasn't too hard to figure out and it's nice learning a little about how the clutch actually works.

PS... That C-clip holding the cable to the trans was MEAN. Despite the little notch in it the bastard did not want to move!

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
Make sure the cable is routed so that there are no sharp bends in it, it should go straight forward from the fork and then have a nice smooth bend up through the bracket and then another smooth bend back into the firewall.

My c clip was a pain in the ass the first time I had to get it off for me too, I almost lost the dam thing because it shot so far when I finally got it to let go :)

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
Well Kevin came over and helped me get the new one on. It's on, the clutch feels AWESOME, and even the gears shift VERY smoothly. Thank the lord.

SVT-VNM

*** Snow, Needs to Detail
Established Member
Check with SVT-VNM I believe he has dealt with clutch cables before :rolling:

I think I need to order a stock adjustable JUST to have it on hand.

I hit up Kevin when he was helping you out Busta - hope you guys got it on alright. I'd say with the RIGHT tools - 1.5 hours. But last summer was my first experience and it took me forever to realize I needed a pry bar to bring that clutch fork in. That and the fact that I put on a non-adjustable cable that was 2 inches shorter on the first try. :lol:

04yellowcobra

Established Member
Kevin's on the way with the new one which cost me a nice $168 and we'll have it on in no time.

Is it gold plated? What all did you get? A clutch cable is 40 bucks, even if you got everything, quadrant, cable, and firewall adjuster its just over 100. But hey if you paid that much I have some ocean front property in Arizona to sell ya!!

Shifty Powers

The Shifty Mobile
Established Member

thanks u bastard..... you know what i mean!!!! if u dont remember.. i think it was a certain someone who told me to get something,at atco, i still have yet to put on lol.:poke:

Users who are viewing this thread