Turn Signal Switch?

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
Hey gang,

Got a question for you electical experts. I am having a problem with the driver's side turn signals flashing erratically when I use them. I checked and replaced all of the bulbs front and rear, replaced the turn signal relay & flasher unit, and I still have the problem.

Here's where it gets funny...I can get the signal to work properly if I SLOWLY press down on the turn signal lever. If I just 'flick it' down normally, it flashes too fast, and will not operate the front signal. The rear will flash crazy fast.

This only happens with the driver's side, passenger side operates fine.

Is this most likley the turn signal switch? Wiring doesn't appear bad on the signals or bulb sockets themselves. :shrug:

Any advice would help. Thanks as always!

mcaligiuri

Established Member
yeah had the same problem on my 6 cylinder stang, it was the whole unit. contacts got bad i guess, cost me like $120 i think for it.

fordmanforever

Venomous
Established Member
it's the turn signal switch just replaced it in my 96 and only have 40k must me a monday car. It's fine now. Bought mine at a salvage yard for 20.00

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
fordmanforever said:
it's the turn signal switch just replaced it in my 96 and only have 40k must me a monday car. It's fine now. Bought mine at a salvage yard for 20.00
Mine just began doing that when I turn on the passenger side. It only does it sometimes. I figure it's the switch and will replace it eventually when I have time. Typical Ford electronic parts! :mj:

badass98vert

Established Member
the lights flash fast when you dont have the usual load on the circuit (the front light not working). its gotta be the switch internals. depending on if you "flick" it on or lightly turn it on depends on how good the contacts inside the switch connect.

calgarycobra

Banned
I havent had this go wrong on my 97 cobra, but 2-3 of the 87-93 foxes I have owned have all ended up doing similar things. Solution was to replace the turn signal switch in each case. My cobra turn signal switch looks just like the fox ones I had, so I am going to *guess* that its a similar/identical design.

Users who are viewing this thread