Turn signal acting weird

play23

Needs a Lift
Established Member
This is on a friend of mine's 98 Cobra. It's doing the fast clicking, such as when there's a bulb out. All of the bulbs have been replaced along with checking all of the fuses. Am I forgetting something??? That's the extent of my knowledge on what to look for. Maybe a bad connection on one of the wires?

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
STAMPEDE3 said:
It's the switch, very common.
I'll bet if he just moves it up or down to the "Signal to pass" position it works.

Exactly, the bad things is when it finally does go out his headlights won't work so he needs to get it replaced soon.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I've seen vehicles do that when the bulbs have been replaced with the wrong bulbs. The correct ones were put in and it stopped.

love bandit2

Established Member
its been doing that on mine too... I found if you hold it half down for a second, then click it all the way in it works ok... I've gotten into the habit of doing that.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
isn't there also a relay? or is that what yall refer to as switch? i had to replace a relay in my expedition cause it was doing that in the back

play23

Needs a Lift
Established Member
Thank you very much. :coolman: I wouldn't have thought about the switch itself since it only has 36K on it. Appreciate the help. :beer:

66GT5.0L

Established Member
I've got the same problem in my car. I actually just went through this in my '00 F150. Replacing the switch fixed the truck. This turn signal problem is in the "Sticky" for common SN95 problems... instructions on how to replace the switch are there too.

Good Luck!

SNAKEYE

Established Member
Not to dismiss the success of those who had their multi-function switch replaced and got their turnsignals back to a proper flashing rate BUT the multi-function switch has nothing to do with effecting the rate of turnsignal/hazard warning flashes as it simply directs the power to the bulbs to be flashed. For that matter, whether all bulbs in the turnsignal/hazard warning circuits are good or not, the rate of the flashing is not effected. Why you ask?: because the flasher units in our Cobras are electronic. They are not the old bi-metallic strip-type flasher units (the little aluminum can looking thing) with the bi-metallic strip that heats-bends-clicks-cools-bends back-repeats same, of yesteryear. They are solid-state with circuitry that is uneffected by the number of bulbs being operated (4 in turnsignal mode, 8 in hazard warning mode).

Two things (other than manual internal modification, ie. sequential turnsignals) could effect the rate: 1) something is wrong with the power supply/ground circuits to the flasher unit, or 2) the flasher unit has had an internal component failure of some type.

No. 1 can be caused by poor contact of the flasher unit's prongs in the plug. Find the flasher unit ( mine is a yellow plastic thingy about 1" square by 1-1/2" long) up under the dash by the fuse block, unplug it from its connector and plug it back in. Check for flasher rate. If OK you're done. If not, the grounding side of the flasher unit's supply circuit may have a bad ground connection effecting overall supply voltage to the flasher unit. The ground connection for the flasher unit is located on the right side of the console up under the dash. There are two green screws there with three wires grounded to the metal frame of the dash-to-console steel frame. No need to determine which screw specifically grounds the flasher unit, just unscrew both of them. Clean (emery or sand paper) the rusty steel frame surface where the wire terminal lugs contact the steel. Clean the lugs themselves. Wipe any residue off of the steel surface. Solder the exposed bare ends of the wires in the lugs to the lugs (this will assure proper electrical connection of the wire to the lug and eliminate any possible problem within the lug's compression barrel). Re-assemble screws. Test flasher rate. If okay you're done.
If not okay No. 2 applies - replace the flasher unit.

Last edited:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
While I agree with some of this ^^^^

The hazards and turn signals share the same solid state flasher.
Turn on the hazzards and if they work the ground/ power supply to the flasher isn't the problem.

However, the turn signal switch actually completes a circuit of its own, completeing a ground at after the bulbs.
(on wiring diagram, this is G100,G101 front. G302 rear and G206 at the gauge cluster)

If the turn signal switch has dirt, gunk and isn't making a good connection it will vary the voltage through the flasher and cause it to flash abnormally.

This is the only explination as to why a cleaned or new switch will fix the problem.

http://www.e-toolbox.com/ads/wiring/va076664.pdf

Of course I could be wrong, lol
Mechanic background VS. electrial engineer.

Last edited:

SNAKEYE

Established Member
STAMPEDE3 said:
While I agree with some of this ^^^^

The hazards and turn signals share the same solid state flasher.
Turn on the hazzards and if they work the ground/ power supply to the flasher isn't the problem.

However, the turn signal switch actually completes a circuit of its own, completeing a ground at after the bulbs.
(on wiring diagram, this is G100,G101 front. G302 rear and G206 at the gauge cluster)

If the turn signal switch has dirt, gunk and isn't making a good connection it will vary the voltage through the flasher and cause it to flash abnormally.

This is the only explination as to why a cleaned or new switch will fix the problem.

http://www.e-toolbox.com/ads/wiring/va076664.pdf

Of course I could be wrong, lol
Mechanic background VS. electrial engineer.

Well then, just for chuckles, get a can of contact cleaner and spray the MFS to eliminate any problem with crud. With the battery disconnected, operate the turnsignal stalk AND the hazard warning button several times while applying the cleaner to the contact areas within the switch.
Also check all of the indicated grounds before plunking down $'s for a replacement MFS.
The referenced ground points G100 and G101 are easy - they are the green screws atop the radiator support crossmember just above the headlamps. Same procedure as I outlined for the under-the-dash ground.
The reference ground G206 is the same ground that I described as being on the rightside of the console.
The referenced G302 ground connection point is the toughest: according to the service manual, as best as I can make out, it's on the tranny hump under the console. Not nice.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
That's way too much work to do just for chuckles. lol

But Am I correct on this?
Does that make sence to you?
That was the only thing I could think of as to why the switch change or cleaning will fix the problem 99% of the time.

Also would explain why it would work in the signal to pass position but not in the full on blinker position. (Dirty contacts in full on)

Last edited:

Jerry98vert

Established Member
I have the turn signal arm for sale off of my 98, $15 plus a couple of bucks for ship, pm me if any wants it, it worked just fine when I pulled it out.

SNAKEYE

Established Member
STAMPEDE3 said:
That's way too much work to do just for chuckles. lol
My point exactly

STAMPEDE3 said:
But Am I correct on this?
As I stated, it's the flasher unit or the wiring to the flasher unit.

STAMPEDE3 said:
Does that make sence to you?
None. Either the circuit is complete and the bulbs flash at the rate of the flasher unit, or they may illuminate dimly due to increased resistance in the MFS contacts (but that won't last too long as the contacts will heat up and melt the MFS's plastic), or they won't flash at all because the contacts of the MFS are toast.

STAMPEDE3 said:
Also would explain why it would work in the signal to pass position but not in the full on blinker position. (Dirty contacts in full on)
The flash-to-pass feature uses completely different circuitry and contacts (headlights not turnsignals), and the stalk itself operates at 90-degrees to the way it operates when using the turnsignals, so even mechanically the two are independent.

FWIW: I am having the misfortune that my sequential turnsignals are not always operating properly at engine idle speeds. This has everything to do with voltage available at the sequential units and bulbs at the rear of the car, nothing to do with with the overall rate of flashing. But during my diagnostics procedure of tracking down where the voltage loss is occuring between the front and rear of the car, I unpugged the entire rear wiring harness at a plug located in the left rear corner of the trunk to measure voltage available with no load (bulbs) while operating the turnsignals and/or brakes. And guess what, just as I mentioned before, the rate of flash of the front turnsignals was unaltered by the removal of the load of the rear bulbs. So a burned out bulb is not the cause for a change in rate of the turnsignal flash frequency. The flash frequency of the flasher unit is only effected by its internal circuitry, or perhaps a change of voltage supplied to it. And it does not get voltage through the the MFS.
As you elluded to above, flushing the MFS is not an easy job. Replacing it is incrementally more difficult. I suggest that those who replaced (or had someone else replace) their MFS disturbed poor electrical connections that ultimately got the flasher frequency back to normal. Or, in the case of having someone else having done the work, had the flasher unit replaced along with the MFS, and don't even know that it was replaced.

Last edited:

Snarf

Lacey Chabert FTW!
Established Member
play23 said:
Thank you very much. :coolman: I wouldn't have thought about the switch itself since it only has 36K on it. Appreciate the help. :beer:

It may only have 32k on it, but its 9 years old.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
SNAKEYE said:
STAMPEDE3 said:
STAMPEDE3 said:
The flash-to-pass feature uses completely different circuitry and contacts (headlights not turnsignals), and the stalk itself operates at 90-degrees to the way it operates when using the turnsignals, so even mechanically the two are independent.

I worded that wrong, it's not the flash-to-pass. What I was refering to was when you push the signal arm halfway to signal that your getting over. Not flashing the high beams.

SNAKEYE

Established Member
STAMPEDE3 said:
I worded that wrong, it's not the flash-to-pass. What I was refering to was when you push the signal arm halfway to signal that your getting over. Not flashing the high beams.

In that case it is the same electrical contacts. The only difference is that you don't push the stalk far enough for it to mechanically latch and keep the signal flashing until you either push it off or the automatic mechanism pushes it off as the steering wheel straightens up.

SNAKEYE

Established Member
So, play23, it's been a couple of weeks since you first informed us as to your friend's weird acting turnsignals.

Inquiring minds would like to know: did you guys ever solve the problem?

Users who are viewing this thread