VMP TVS Pulley question/issue

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
So I installed a VMP 2.5 pulley when I did my TVS swap, well the pulley is shorter the blower snout i'm not sure if this is normally how its supposed to look or if its supposed to be pressed on more.
20130902_215727_zps282765a9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20130902_215740_zps07d49601.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
The reason i'm asking is this morning I heard a belt squeak for a couple seconds :fm: than it went away, it happened one more time and that was it I haven't heard it since. So I atleast wanted to make sure the pulley looks correct, maybe I can adjust the Metco idler so the belt is tighter.

lsp408

Established Member
Did the pulley and blower snout flush? I know the instruction say to make sure snout and pulley are flush.

I can't really tell from the picture, did pulley line up with the rest?

Also, if you still got old pulley, see if you can measure it and take side by side photo

Last edited:

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
the pulley is flush with the snout, I have a 2.385 pulley on the way, I will compare the too once it comes in, sorry for the bad
What do you guys like better the Metco Idler kit or the 90mm idler, or are you guys using both.

Last edited:

Kenneth

Established Member
mine looked like that also with the Billet Pro 2.5 pulley.
never had any problems with it.

lsp408

Established Member
As long as blower pulley line up with rest of pulleys. You are good.

I think if you have the metco aux idler, you don't need 90mm. Or 90mm idler, no need of metco. It's also depends on the belt length in the end. If you use both, the stock belt may not be long enough.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
the pulley is flush with the snout, I have a 2.385 pulley on the way, I will compare the too once it comes in, sorry for the bad
What do you guys like better the Metco Idler kit or the 90mm idler, or are you guys using both.

You can go slightly past flush if you want to try it. There's a slight lip inside so you won't go too far unless you really rack on it.

Same belt?

Does it look like the belt is riding straight or trying to move backward? My guess is straight.

You do NOT want to use a Metco adjustable and a 90. One or the other. Don't over tighten the Metco. This pulley won't slip. I'd even suggest LOOSENING the Metco one notch.

frederick184

Shelby Enthusiast
Established Member
Interesting. I drove my car to work this morning after having installed a TVS with 2.4 pulley at the weekend. At the weekend it sounded fine, but now the belt is noisy on startup and at lower speeds. When I reach 60 it goes away and once the motor is warmed up I never hear it again at any speed. I'm using the original belt and thought maybe it was very slightly too long. Pulley is flush with the snout and looks like it is running true.

Colin

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
When I did the TVS swap I replaced the blower belt with a new ford stock one so I wouldn't think the belt would be the one squeaking. I started It up this morning and the noise was worse so I left it home and drove my truck to work, I'm thinking it could be the metco idler pulley making the noise, I will pull the belt off when I get home and let you guys know what I find.

frederick184

Shelby Enthusiast
Established Member
When I did the TVS swap I replaced the blower belt with a new ford stock one so I wouldn't think the belt would be the one squeaking. I started It up this morning and the noise was worse so I left it home and drove my truck to work, I'm thinking it could be the metco idler pulley making the noise, I will pull the belt off when I get home and let you guys know what I find.

I ordered a shorter one from VMP.

Colin

SuperFly03

Established Member
You can go slightly past flush if you want to try it. There's a slight lip inside so you won't go too far unless you really rack on it.

Same belt?

Does it look like the belt is riding straight or trying to move backward? My guess is straight.

You do NOT want to use a Metco adjustable and a 90. One or the other. Don't over tighten the Metco. This pulley won't slip. I'd even suggest LOOSENING the Metco one notch.

Why not both?

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Well I found the problem, one of the lower ford idlers near the A/C compressor had failed. With the pulley tight I could wiggle it side to side, all the other pulleys seem ok, here are some pics, tell me what you guys think,
20130903_183022_zps80a32ef5.jpg

20130903_183026_zps76637ed6.jpg

20130903_183034_zps212bcb42.jpg

20130903_183111_zps57a85be8.jpg

I will order a new one tomorrow and hope that fixes it.

frederick184

Shelby Enthusiast
Established Member
Fitted a shorter belt today and it cured my slipping problem. I have VMP/2.4 pulley/90mm idler/stock lower

Belt had a glazed finish so looked like it had been slipping for a while. Now it is quiet and it holds boost no problem.

Colin

Unrealford

Established Member
Older thread ,but I have same issue the VMP 2.5 pulley is flush, but. doesn't seem right with the extra space on back side?
.Did you find the issue?

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Older thread ,but I have same issue the VMP 2.5 pulley is flush, but. doesn't seem right with the extra space on back side?
.Did you find the issue?

From what I remember with my 08 gt500 I left the pulley flush with the blower and everything was perfect.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Regarding OP's issue, that pulley looks like its for the stock M122. The TVS pulley is longer.

RedZR

Established Member
The first picture looks as if the pulley needs to go back onto the shaft more. I used the 90mm idler on mine and had a tough time getting the pulley on right. It was flush on the snout but on too far (not enough clearance in the rear). Once I pulled it up a little on the shaft it was good. It's not flush with the shaft, but it runs true with no noise.

Is the edge of the belt frayed? When mine was not lined up the edge of the belt would fray a little.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread