HID Question

Superman750

Part-Timer
Established Member
So I have been looking for HIDs online for the Cobra and I am noticing some extremely significant price jumps that I cant quite justify. I want to get a good kit, but I also dont want it to be ridiculously priced. I am looking for a simple plug and play kit, and I am looking to do both headlights and the fogs.

I understand that the headlights are a 9007, and am I correct that the fogs are 9145 or H10?

At HIDguys.net it is about $285 for both kits Headlights and Foglights

At American Muscle it is $500 for both American Muscle

At DDMtuning.com it is $140 for both DDM

and at Retrosolutions it is $361 for both Headlights and Foglights

So what gives? Why the extreme price differences? Would the one at DDM be a good choice? Thanks for the help!

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
The kit I have on the Cobra was a gift several years ago and it was from AM, I believe around $300 at the time. The kit on my Explorer is from Ebay, around $99. And the kit on my GXSR is from ddmtuning.com, about $120 for both high and low beams. I couldn't tell any difference with install, or how they've held up. Had zero problems with any of them.

wjjeeper

Established Member
First your fogs are H10.

I didn't look at your links to check, but a big price difference in HID kits is if the hi beam are HID. Some of the lower priced kits have HID low beam, but Halogen high beam. Make sure you decide what you want in that regard, and check the kits that you're considering.

Personally I went with a HID lowbeam/ Halogen highbeam kit and they are fine fine by me.

VincodeY

Established Member
From all the kits I've seen, they all look the same. /shrug. The only thing you must do is buy the slim waterproof kits.

ttk53

Established Member
First your fogs are H10.

I didn't look at your links to check, but a big price difference in HID kits is if the hi beam are HID. Some of the lower priced kits have HID low beam, but Halogen high beam. Make sure you decide what you want in that regard, and check the kits that you're considering.

Personally I went with a HID lowbeam/ Halogen highbeam kit and they are fine fine by me.

where did you get a kit like that? it is onlyone bulb?

I know you can get a low beam only or a high/low

wjjeeper

Established Member
Yes it is one bulb, and I bought them from a company here in Canada.
The kit is actually pretty nice.

I'll have to look up their website when I get home. Let me know if you want me to post it.

RussZTT

Established Member
HID guy prices appear the same. Go with him, you wont be disappointed. :rockon:

JymBart

Established Member
I have both the Hid Hi/Lo headlights and Hid foglights. Both are from Hid Guy, .... Oscar's at Hidguy is first class, answers the phone, a USA phone number and quality parts backed by a warranty. All parts plug & play. You can't go wrong.
JymBart

Last edited:

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
I have/had the DDM kit. I would advise to go with HIDGUY kits. His kits are all inclusive, the ones from DDM I recieved did not have a harness for the lights, but rather a wire with naked plugs that you were supposed to simply "jam" into your stock headlight connector. Cheap POS kit. Plus I had excess current draw with their ballasts. FWIW when I swung by thier shop to exchange my defective lights, they had boxes and boxes filled with returned/warrantied crap. I'm guessing the stuff is so cheap they just swap defective crap for another unit and junk the returned garbage.

Last edited:

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
WHAT??? 500???!!!!!! i got my 8000k plug and play for $95!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread