04 mach 1 engine into 96 cobra questions

bbrewer5

OK so I have a 96 cobra, and a complete 04 mach 1 pullout. Intake to pan, all underhood wiring, dash harness and cluster, ccrm, ecu etc. on to my issue/question.

Will the 04 mach 1 ENGINE harness and ecu work with all the 96 cobra wiring?

I discovered after pulling everything apart that the 04 dash harness will not work at all with the main body harness that runs through the interior on back. The mach 1 underhood chassis harness wont work with the 96 dash harness either. So im going to have to put it all back to stock.
The one thing i dont have is the 96-98 engine harness (I do have the 96 fuel rail). So my question again is, will the mach 1 engine harness and ecu work with all the 96 chassis stuff? Minor wiring altercation is no biggie.

If not, whats my cheapest alternative?

Thanks for all help!

Last edited:

mvk13

oooohhhhh Shiny!
Established Member
Why change everything? Add a bung for the 2nd temp sensor and get it tuned. I have dropped a c headed 4v in my 98 and it worked fine with the 2V comp and harness. You might have to wake them a few wires. But that's about it really. The real pain in the butt was modifying the 98 Cobra fuel rails to work with the 01 cobra intake manifold. My buddy with a TIG welder made short work of that though.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

PACIFICGREENSVT

Established Member
^ yup what He said. Extend some sensor wires turn the knock sensors off and a few little other things in the tune. Also get the Red monsters harness.

bbrewer5

Why change everything? Add a bung for the 2nd temp sensor and get it tuned. I have dropped a c headed 4v in my 98 and it worked fine with the 2V comp and harness. You might have to wake them a few wires. But that's about it really. The real pain in the butt was modifying the 98 Cobra fuel rails to work with the 01 cobra intake manifold. My buddy with a TIG welder made short work of that though.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Because it's what I have. This isn't a 2v car so I don't have anything 2v related.
It's an actual 96 cobra that I got as a roller. I've had an efi Windsor in it for a few years. I have all the original 96 cobra wiring EXCEPT for the actual engine harness.
I do, however, have the mach engine harness. My question was will the mach engine harness and ecu work with all the 96 chassis harnesses. There's a lot of different, and flat out missing connectors between the two so I'm starting to have my doubts.

PACIFICGREENSVT

Established Member
Life would be a lot easier for you if you found a 96 2v or 4v eec and wire harness. But to answer the question as far as the mach harness goes I've never read about it or seen it being done before.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
Do you still have your original Cobra ecm ?
I believe , that if you are using the mach ecm, and complete engine e harness , all you are going to need to figure out , is gauges , water temps , and oil pressure .
Look at the sensor , use an ohm meter to find it at the connector , and the same back from the instrument cluster .

bbrewer5

PACIFICGREENSVT
Yeah, that's what I am starting to realize. I think it would be cheaper to get a 99-04 body harness (the one that runs from the tail lights all the way to the dash) than it would be to get all the engine and ecu harnesses.
That way I can run all the 04 mach stuff in the dash, ecu, and underhood. everything would be plug and play and the worst I'd have to deal with is a simple reflash to get rid of pats, if even that.

Most of the interior is out so it shouldnt be terrible, and it saves me from changing the stuff under the hood again.

96redcobra

Established Member
Just find a 96 cobra engine harness, I used the Red Monster COP harness and extended a couple plugs. Used one of these on the stock 04 fuel rails
http://www.foreinnovations.com/product_p/22-904.htm
With a fore regulator, some -6 braided hose and one of these to adapt for the return
https://www.aeromotiveinc.com/product/ford-oe-return-line-38-female-spring-lock-to-6-an-male/
A JLT Ram-Air fit for 04 Mach 1 fit just fine couldn't use the strut tower brace though
Added another bung to the coolant crossover for the second temp sensor

Users who are viewing this thread