13/14 IC Pump Upgrade... Results Inside

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
There is a huge debate regarding whether or not upgrading the IC pump will make any difference, but as far as I know no one shared their experience and what the effect on IAT2 was.

I always liked the argument that Ford's engineers felt the necessity to upgrade the pump for 13, and where I live I need everything I can get to reduce heat soak.
For reference: Triple pass H/E Data are in

For the install, I already had VMP's extension harness so I bought the harness for the pump from Tasca and connected it to VMP's. But, had I known earlier I would've bought it from VMP. They sell a complete kit for the swap.

14lsmzk.jpg

Onto the real stuff.
The pump did actually make a difference. However, not that big of a difference. I've seen an improvement of 5* on average. On speeds above 60 IAT2 were 8-10* lower so you can say the higher the speed the better. Nothing changed on WOT but since I made that thread I changed to a 2.5 pulley and I'm seeing 12 PSI so there might be an improvement there.

So to me its worth while because of the kind of heat we get here, and I think there is some potential still left in it like going with bigger hoses to improve flow.

Other references:
GT500 IC/HE Pump Comparison
Comprehensive IC Water Pump/System Test Data

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm not sure bigger hoses will help as the biggest restriction in flow for the intercooller system are the stainless tubes connecting the manifold adapter to the intercooler. The i.d. of those tubes are .55". The holes that line up with the tube in the manifold adapter are the same size. I opened my tubes up to .625", in addition to the holes in the adapter, I plan to do an experiment with the stock arrangement and the larger tubes to see how much more coolant can pass though the intercooler over a given time limit, both with the old pump and the 13/14 pump to see if all that effort yields anything. While .075" doesn't sound like much, it's a 29% increase in area at the tubes. I just hope it translates to the same increase in flow.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm not sure bigger hoses will help as the biggest restriction in flow for the intercooller system are the stainless tubes connecting the manifold adapter to the intercooler. The i.d. of those tubes are .55". The holes that line up with the tube in the manifold adapter are the same size. I opened my tubes up to .625", in addition to the holes in the adapter, I plan to do an experiment with the stock arrangement and the larger tubes to see how much more coolant can pass though the intercooler over a given time limit, both with the old pump and the 13/14 pump to see if all that effort yields anything. While .075" doesn't sound like much, it's a 29% increase in area at the tubes. I just hope it translates to the same increase in flow.

Someone makes a kit with new fittings and will machine the intercooler to accept 1" OD tubing I think. I don't remember where I saw it, but I'll probably go that route when I put my trunk tank in so I can run 1" hose all the way around. Also going to be deleting the factory IC pump and only running the Rule 2000 that's in the tank.

sdleo26

Established Member
I just did the same pump along with the 13/14 heat exchanger. This replaced the OEM KB Bosch pump and the tiny H/E. I am seeing roughly a 15* difference in my IAT on average... huge improvement from what I had. I also did a battery relocation and used a canton intercooler overflow. The pump pushes an insane amount of fluid. It is a jacuzzi in the canton tank, with roughly double the fluid; perhaps that had an impact as well.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Someone makes a kit with new fittings and will machine the intercooler to accept 1" OD tubing I think.
If you remember who, post up some details. I could have opened up the tubes a little larger, but most of the barbed fittings on the whole system had about the same internal diameter. In fact, I cut back the barb tapers to make sure all were no less than .625". While pretty time consuming to open up the tubes with a dremel and a brush hone, it's not like it's a major investment. Getting an intercooler and a heat exchanger system opened up to 1" or 1.25" is not going to be a cheap mod.

Beercules

Established Member
Last edited:

Black Cobra '99

Established Member

Yes, I meant going with larger tubing including the connecting tubes.
With a higher flowing pump I'm sure there will be improvement, when I first jumped the 13 pump the hose going from the pump to the HE was rock solid.

JB_2010GT500

Established Member
Thanks for posting. I got a good deal on a 13/14 pump. It's been sitting on my shelf for a rainy day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
Great info - thanks for taking the time to document it.

Thanks for posting. I got a good deal on a 13/14 pump. It's been sitting on my shelf for a rainy day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are welcome.
Since this is a widely discussed topic I'm sure a lot of people would be interested, glad I could be of help :)

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
I have VMP's triple pass HE and Morso tank, the numbers on that is in the link in the first post.
For the this test the only thing that changed is the IC pump, going from the stock Bosch to the 13.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
Good info, thanks for posting. Has the additional flow entering your Moroso I/C reservoir created any issues with aeration or foaming of coolant inside the tank?

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
Good info, thanks for posting. Has the additional flow entering your Moroso I/C reservoir created any issues with aeration or foaming of coolant inside the tank?

Not at all.
I remember someone who had that problem, he had the 3x tank so it could be what causing the foaming.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
If you remember who, post up some details. I could have opened up the tubes a little larger, but most of the barbed fittings on the whole system had about the same internal diameter. In fact, I cut back the barb tapers to make sure all were no less than .625". While pretty time consuming to open up the tubes with a dremel and a brush hone, it's not like it's a major investment. Getting an intercooler and a heat exchanger system opened up to 1" or 1.25" is not going to be a cheap mod.

Not sure if this link will work if you're not part of the group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/247...574274362755804/?sale_post_id=574274362755804

"GT500 intercooler flow mod
$650
This is the long awaited GT500 version of my original and extremely successful Cobra ported intercooler kit.
Includes end adapter, hose ends, flow tubes, machined intercooler core (customer supplied), stainless hardware, and optional 1" heat exchanger ports if applicable.
Current gains on GT500 4.5L Whipple test car showed drop from 135-137° at end of 1/4, down to 83-84° consistently."

Islandcat

Established Member
Ok I can't seem to join the group as they haven't accepted my request, so what exactly is this kit? Who sells it and is there a way to find it on the internet besides fb?

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Ok I can't seem to join the group as they haven't accepted my request, so what exactly is this kit? Who sells it and is there a way to find it on the internet besides fb?
Same here, but I'm not on facebook despite almost having to sighn up for reasons like this.

Users who are viewing this thread