17 Roush RS3 vs 13 Gt500

stanger1

Established Member
First off, this was not a race, but today, I got a chance to test a 2017 RS3 with an auto trans.
I went in with an open mind.
This one was a 670 hp car.
Right off, I was missing the GT500 power or torque. The Roush is nice, power good, auto trans was nice. But just not enough to make me want to trade my 13 GT500 for it.
On my drive home, I was thinking just how good my stock Shelby really is.

Sent from my SM-G955U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Clemson

Established Member
That Roush will never be a Shelby. At the end of the day, youre really just trading a Shelby for a GT. And the depreciation will reflect that. Still cannot fathom the desire for an automatic transmission in a muscle car....

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Still cannot fathom the desire for an automatic transmission in a muscle car....

Totally agree.

Its the difference between between fishing in a barrel, or... going deep sea fishing.

boduke0220

Established Member
That Roush will never be a Shelby. At the end of the day, youre really just trading a Shelby for a GT. And the depreciation will reflect that. Still cannot fathom the desire for an automatic transmission in a muscle car....

Agreed but when you can buy an auto GT and put a Whipple and e85 and go run mid 9s on slicks and skinnies then let your wife drive it to work on Monday, that is insanely impressive to me.

With that Said I've got a 2016 GT, 6 speed manual with a Vmp tvs. That I'm selling to get into a 13/14 Shelby. Always wanted one and really like the Factory quad tips, plus the TR6060, CF driveshaft and rear end can take a beating. Looks are subjective and I like both. Just believe the drivetrain is better in the Shelby. But an auto GT with a blower is no joke

kwarnerjr

Established Member
. Always wanted one and really like the Factory quad tips, plus the TR6060, CF driveshaft and rear end can take a beating. Looks are subjective and I like both. Just believe the drivetrain is better in the Shelby.

Not to be a Debby Downer but I fried 2 sets of OEM axles on my 13' with DR's and a few bolt ons.... that said I still love the car and would never go back to a GT. The GT500 has a certain presence and feel that even a modded GT can't replicate in my opinion!

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

boduke0220

Established Member
Not to be a Debby Downer but I fried 2 sets of OEM axles on my 13' with DR's and a few bolt ons.... that said I still love the car and would never go back to a GT. The GT500 has a certain presence and feel that even a modded GT can't replicate in my opinion!

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Nothing some Mosers can't fix! But that's good to know, can't wait to get mine

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
A big draw to the GT500 is the upgraded trans vs. a mustang GT. I also like to row my own, but was torn between a new '17 auto GT and this GT500 i ultimately bought.

True statement though.... a blown auto Coyote car is NO JOKE at the drag strip!

stanger1

Established Member
Group,
The Shelby is special and when you add up all that is has going for it, adjustable suspension on the fly, TR6060 modified just for the 13-14 GT500, Still love the heat extractor on the hood, just so many things.
I have owned two Roush TVS cars before, so that is why I wanted to check out the 2017 RS3.
Yes it could be made faster, but to me, sitting at a stop light and people see that awesome name "SHELBY" on the back and kinda makes ya feel good.

UOP Shadow

Established Member
The only thing Shelby on the 13-14 GT500s is the name. Ford SVT did ALL the work on the car. Ford bought the rights to use the Shelby name so they could charge another $5000 for a Ford Cobra.

With that said, I loved our 13 GT500. I traded it for a 2015 50YLE. The speed of the GT500 was intoxicating and it was way too tempting to not lose my license every time I drove the car.

With that said, the 2015 is a much better car, although slower. At my age, I can live with that.

Sent from my XT1575 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

LencoCS1

Established Member
I thought Carol Shelby played a role in the development of the 13-14 GT-500?
That's why the cars earned the SHELBY name.

UOP Shadow

Established Member
He was the inspiration for the SVT Team. I believe he said his goal was to build an affordable car that was faster than the Vette. Breaking 200 mph was a bonus. All the engineering and details were SVT.

I'll see if I can find the longer version of this story.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Shelby was, indeed, the inspiration for our cars. Based on what I read at the time, he also "advised" on certain things. He was, however, far beyond being heavily involved so Ford did do all the engineering and design.

All of that said, 2015+ Mustangs may be "better" in certain ways (e.g., refinement, handling, interior materials) but, for those of us who simply don't care for the the cars' styling (i.e., too European), there's nothing better than our 2013/2014 GT500s. I worried (briefly) I might have buyer's remorse and want an S550 before they were unveiled. Seeing them was all I needed for that thought to leave my head forever.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
First off, this was not a race, but today, I got a chance to test a 2017 RS3 with an auto trans.
I went in with an open mind.....

It's very cool that you drove one! The car got a pretty good review in the latest MM&FF magazine, they called it "The Perfect Street Ride!". They ran consistent 11.3's with basically zero effort. I agree that a muscle car should have stick shift, but you could do a small tweak or two to this RS3 and have a grocery getter that your grandma could drive, and it could be a 10-second car, LOL.

mm&ff.jpg

sono

Established Member
I put the roush in the same boat as the Dinan I had. They make a good product but crippled by an over conservative tune. My 12 was rated at less hp and put down much more stock for stock at a dyno event. Torque aside it's not enough.

That said he threw on a pulley, cai and a vmp throttle body and it drives like you would expect. The experience turned you away regardless of warranty. Shame because it has potential.

Drewsky65

Established Member
Love the new 15+ mustangs and the roush is bad ass. I have never driven the new roush but can imagine it's a beast. However the new mustangs of any sort don't have the WOW factor a gt500 has. It's as simple as that. I was debating a brand new fully loaded GT or 13-14 Shelby. Glad I went with the Shelby and never looked back. I have other mustangs of ALL kinds (including new roush) on the road giving me thumbs up and smiles all day when I'm cruising in the trinity. I did not get this car for that reason by any means but other people's reactions tell me I made the right decision. Shelby's are kings of mustangs, and that doesn't even mean there are modded ones out there that are faster than them and for sure ther is. They are the kings. I remember last year when I picked mine up, at the dealership when I got there I was in awe, "wow, am I really actually going to sit in this car? Am I actually going to own a GT500?!" I realize I'm not the only one who thinks this when I'm in the road. #resellfactor

WVTrakPak

Established Member
Had a 2016 loaner while my GT500 was in the shop. I cannot imagine how anyone could think a 2015 is a much better car. Picked up my GT500 for the 2 hour drive home and even my wife could not believe how much more comfortable and better quality the GT500 was. We had driven from Florida and she was lamenting not having the Shelby for the whole trip. I could never live with a 15-18 GT after owning two GT500s......even if it could win in a boring straight line battle.

I have owned Roush cars and they make incredible stuff. Their suspension pieces are well thought out and work in real world situations beautifully.

UOP Shadow

Established Member
Drewsky, your #resellfactor cracked me up. I've been watching the value of these cars continually go down over the past couple years. I'm not sure if they'll hold value proportionally like the terminators. Only time and the next GT500 will tell.

Users who are viewing this thread