1992 Corvette ZR-1 Engine Plant Tour | Retro Review

olympic

Established Member
Brings back a lot of memories! I got my drivers license in 1989 and remember seeing the new ZR1 in all the car mags.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
Wasn't one of the cobra R's engines a mercruiser or derivative?
I think Ford used marine blocks for the 95r but they still made them.

Timing chain setup is interesting. Looks like a conventional pushrod chain is still used and it drives the chains to the heads.

Lemmiwinks

Established Member
Interesting! Never knew the Mercruiser made those engines.
Funny how GM made (or had? Was it their design?) a great DOHC engine for the ZR-1. And the ZR-1 was abit of an unknown beast, atleast over here in Europe.
Despite that, it's all pushrods still.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Just think where GM would be now if they had kept developing that engine instead of the LS series. That said, the LT5 has a huge foot print, and probably would fit in the F-Bodies without a decent amount of work (I've never looked into the possibility).

Interesting! Never knew the Mercruiser made those engines.
Funny how GM made (or had? Was it their design?) a great DOHC engine for the ZR-1. And the ZR-1 was abit of an unknown beast, atleast over here in Europe.
Despite that, it's all pushrods still.

I believe the engine was actually designed in conjunction with Lotus.

Lemmiwinks

Established Member
Just think where GM would be now if they had kept developing that engine instead of the LS series. That said, the LT5 has a huge foot print, and probably would fit in the F-Bodies without a decent amount of work (I've never looked into the possibility).

I believe the engine was actually designed in conjunction with Lotus.

Well the modular engines are huge aswell. All DOHC v8's tends to be quite enormous in size.

Now that you mention it, yes I think I've read somewhere that it was developed in conjunction with Lotus.
They should've continued on that track.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Well the modular engines are huge aswell. All DOHC v8's tends to be quite enormous in size.

Now that you mention it, yes I think I've read somewhere that it was developed in conjunction with Lotus.
They should've continued on that track.

The LT5 is even bigger than a mod motor. I'm believe it's larger than a Vortec 8100.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I have wanted one of those for a while. They are actually reasonably priced right and and pretty easy to find.

Users who are viewing this thread