1998 4v Cobra swapped into 2000 GT Body!

Stephen4036

Established Member
Just purchased a 98 4v motor to go into my GT, if anyone has done this please let me know some of the differences, I know my 3650 and 8 bolt flywheel and clutch work so that's good. I know the 98 has a 2 coil pack system and I have coil per cylinder setup so how would you go about doing this. He said something about extending my stock CPC's or something but I am not sure.. I have everything from that motor, harness, manifolds, etc... let me know...

and also will a mid pipe for 98 cobra (stock manifolds) work and connect to my 99-04 cat back?

please post any stupid shit I may encounter so that I can be ready for them on the swap weekend, thanks!

Marvin97

Established Member
Hmm, my car is an 01 cobra engine into a 97, but i'll try and help. The gt should have a returnless style fuel system, and the cobra should have return style fuel rails on it. The easiest route here, I think, would be to swap fuel rails. I swapped 96-98 cobra rails onto mine, so id say 99-01 cobra rails would fit. The mounting brackets won't line up though, you'll have to make your own brackets or go with an aftermarket set of rails. As far as the coil on plug, I kept the coilpack setup on mine, just switched valve covers to accommodate for the plug wires. I'd say you could do the same and switch to 99-01 valve covers to account for the coilonplug setup. I kept the gt computer and just had it tuned for the engine.
As far as the mid pipe, it should bolt up just fine.
Any other questions just ask away.

Stephen4036

Established Member
do you have AIM or something...?

if you do hit me up stephen4036...

not sure how to put a COP setup on a motor without COP holes for it...

as for the fuel rail I have the 98 fuel rail so..? keep that or use the GT's? I want to use the GT's computer no matter what so give me advice based on that. I have a tuner who can send me a tune (VMP) until I can get out for a dynotune.

like I said hit me up on aim or email me [email protected] if you dont have aim.

foxman92

Its slow
Established Member
it will be best if you find some 99/01 cobra fuel rails and modify them to fit the 98 intake.. your computer is a returnless style, and they are not compatible.. and id just use a 99/01 cobra, or 03/04 mach1 engine harness.. sell all the wiring you have, and use that towards what you need..

Stephen4036

Established Member
it will be best if you find some 99/01 cobra fuel rails and modify them to fit the 98 intake.. your computer is a returnless style, and they are not compatible.. and id just use a 99/01 cobra, or 03/04 mach1 engine harness.. sell all the wiring you have, and use that towards what you need..

what about the COPS...

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
You will need COP valve covers and 4v COPs. You will also need the "hard to find" 96-98 throttle and cruise cables.

Using the GT harness and computer is by far the easiest route to take. Trying to use a cobra harness will be very time consuming and painful to the brain.

The IMRCs will have to be deleted as the GT computer does not have the capability to control them.

The stock exhaust will work.

Fuel rails; relocate the mounting tabs on a set of stock 99/01 or Mach fuel rails.

Now, you will probably be disapointed by the performance of the engine, especially if you have stock gears. A TFS headed 2v will make as much or more power than a bolt on 96-98 engine, weigh less and have more torque.

Last edited:

Stephen4036

Established Member
can I use my 2v 4.6L head covers? and they just said something about extending my COPs and not needing new ones.

Marvin97

Established Member

as for the fuel rail I have the 98 fuel rail so..? keep that or use the GT's? I want to use the GT's computer no matter what so give me advice based on that. I have a tuner who can send me a tune (VMP) until I can get out for a dynotune.

like I said hit me up on aim or email me [email protected] if you dont have aim.

You will need to get a set of valve covers from a 99/01 cobra or mach, or I think avaitor valve covers will work too. You just need a set that are made for coil-on-plug.

As for the rails, either a set of 99/01 cobra rails or mach rails, and you'll have to relocate the brackets on the rails because they wont line up.

Keep the gt harness and computer and just have it dyno tuned. Apparently you'll need to delete the imrc's. Did you happen to get the coolant hoses and the thermostat housing? They're all different from the gt as well.

As said, you will also need to find a cobra throttle and cruise cable as well, the gt's aren't long enough.

Marvin97

Established Member

You will need to get a set of valve covers from a 99/01 cobra or mach, or I think avaitor valve covers will work too. You just need a set that are made for coil-on-plug.

As for the rails, either a set of 99/01 cobra rails or mach rails, and you'll have to relocate the brackets on the rails because they wont line up.

Keep the gt harness and computer and just have it dyno tuned. Apparently you'll need to delete the imrc's. Did you happen to get the coolant hoses and the thermostat housing? They're all different from the gt as well.

As said, you will also need to find a cobra throttle and cruise cable as well, the gt's aren't long enough.

Stephen4036

Established Member

im pretty sure it comes with the hoses i need, as for Cruise Control I wont use it, and it hasnt worked since the manual swap anyway...

Loki-sc

process of acceleration
Established Member
You mean like this:

Hit me up, I can tell you everytinhg you'll need to do. I can also modify the fuel rails for you. 713-204-6582.

ZeroDCX

Established Member
Nice!!! That engine bay is really clean (in terms of both being clean and non-cluttered)!

Loki-sc

process of acceleration
Established Member
Nice!!! That engine bay is really clean (in terms of both being clean and non-cluttered)!

Thanks! Just got it running last month. I'll have more pics up soon.

na svt:
Fuel rails; relocate the mounting tabs on a set of stock 99/01 or Mach fuel rails.

Not as simple as that, you have to relocate the FPS sensor. I used 03-04 Cobra rails (Done two sets so far. One on my car and one for Corral member)The AIC end up right on top of the mount.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Not as simple as that, you have to relocate the FPS sensor. I used 03-04 Cobra rails (Done two sets so far. One on my car and one for Corral member)The AIC end up right on top of the mount.

The 99/01 and Mach rails are mount the FPS on the pass side at the rear and the 03/04 cobra rails have it on the drvers side.

EDIT: You're correct, it must have been the marauder rails...I'll check on that.

Last edited:

Loki-sc

process of acceleration
Established Member
The 99/01 and Mach rails are mount the FPS on the pass side at the rear and the 03/04 cobra rails have it on the drvers side.

Don't want to disagree with you but when I was looking for some rails I keept finding used one like this:

They look the same as the 03-04 Cobras. I don't know about the Mach rails but if they are different and they do have the FPS towards the rear, that would save alot of fab work.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
I'll get a pic of the fuel rail I have in the garage that has the sensor on the back. Why not just lengthen the wires and keep the sensor on the front? Now that I think of it, they must have been Marauder rails.

Last edited:

Stephen4036

Established Member
I'll get a pic of the fuel rail I have in the garage that has the sensor on the back. Why not just lengthen the wires and keep the sensor on the front? Now that I think of it, they must have been Marauder rails.

I talked to him, the sensors is moved b/c the IAC not b/c of wires.

Users who are viewing this thread