2001 cobra transmission removal

SilverNotch

Established Member
I’m replacing my throw out bearing and I’ve removed all the bellhousing bolts except one. I need advice, I can’t get the driver’s side top bolt out! I’ve stopped for the day as I was getting frustrated any advice is helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
I used a very long extension with a swivel. Of course, my car is a 2004.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Use a big breaker bar. If that doesn't work put a jack handle on it for more leverage.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
If you tilt the engine back toward the car, you may not need a swivel. Then you can get more leverage.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
You might need to somehow get the pb blaster into the back (open) side of the block hole.

Also if you lower the back of the trans as much as possible (front of engine tilted up) you might be able to get more of a straight shot with the socket.

Best of luck with it!

SilverNotch

Established Member
You might need to somehow get the pb blaster into the back (open) side of the block hole.

Also if you lower the back of the trans as much as possible (front of engine tilted up) you might be able to get more of a straight shot with the socket.

Best of luck with it!

Yeah, I was thinking about undoing the crossmember with the jack under it. That might give me enough room without breaking anything. I remember foxbodies being a pain I usually had to loosen the motor amounts.

SilverNotch

Established Member
This is nothing so far compared to pulling the irs and installing bushings. Really the top two bolts are the only hard thing so far.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Are you trying to pull the transmission and bellhousing together? It would be easier to pull the transmission first.

Brewkett

Established Member
Are you trying to pull the transmission and bellhousing together? It would be easier to pull the transmission first.

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I would like to see the trans pulled from the bell housing without removing the bell housing from the engine.

SilverNotch

Established Member
Forgot that one. Get an impact grade swivel socket on the pesky bolt and knock it loose with an impact.

Thanks for the tip! I’m assuming they don’t deflect like regular elbows? I honestly think the bolt is rusted to that stupid bell housing bracket. That thing is really stupid I wonder if I even need to reinstall that?

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for the tip! I’m assuming they don’t deflect like regular elbows? I honestly think the bolt is rusted to that stupid bell housing bracket. That thing is really stupid I wonder if I even need to reinstall that?

They don't. Also, hitting it with the impact should help to knock some of that rust loose.

SilverNotch

Established Member
Cool thanks looks like harbor freight has a set with a 13mm. I need to go there anyway for some more lights. I might as well do a clutch while I’m in there too.

98_Undertaker

Established Member
I had to use a 6’ pipe on that same bolt the first time I did it. Now I’ve got removing the transmission down to about 15 minutes since I pulled it 5 times last year alone....

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

SilverNotch

Established Member
I had to use a 6’ pipe on that same bolt the first time I did it. Now I’ve got removing the transmission down to about 15 minutes since I pulled it 5 times last year alone....

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

I got the swivel sockets for the impact today from hf 25% off Easter sale. Hopefully this gets it out then I’ll put some anti seize on it so I don’t run into this again. I’m also thinking the headcooling mod would be doable once the transmission is out. Any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread