2004 windshield wiper problems.

Mustangv6nomore

Established Member
You guys helped me out with other problems I was working through on an 04 GT I am restoring, hope you can help me with this one. I did a search, on here and on Google, and couldn't find anything to help.

I am in the process of putting the car back together and have a problem with the wiper motor, it will not park or stop running, even with the switch off. I am building this one out of two cars, so I have extra parts, and went to a pick and pull and got more. I changed out the turn signal/wiper switch the controller (under the dash) and the motor, still no change.

I put a test light on the plug going into the motor and all of them seem to have power at the correct time as the switch is moved from off to high, EXCEPT the black and pink wire that seems to operate the "park/off" feature. The black/pink wire has no power to it and it doesn't seem to be a grounded wire either. Intermittent doesn't function either.

I have checked fuses and changed the relays, everything is fine. My question is, I know that black/pink wire goes to the controller, but does it ground out or have power when operating correctly ? Also, I don't have the doors and things like fenders on yet, could the fact that the wiring going into the doors for locks, etc not being connected affect this in any way ?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Kline12

Bagged and Terminated.
Established Member
Can you trace that wire any? I would follow that wire as far back as possible and see where it originates. I don't think it really matters that all of the wiring for the doors and locks isn't installed because I'm pretty sure they are apart of 2 different harnesses anyway.

If the wire isn't getting any power, that leads me to believe that the wire might have a break in it somewhere. I would start by following that wire all the way back as far as you possibly can.

Mustangv6nomore

Established Member
Can you trace that wire any? I would follow that wire as far back as possible and see where it originates. I don't think it really matters that all of the wiring for the doors and locks isn't installed because I'm pretty sure they are apart of 2 different harnesses anyway.

If the wire isn't getting any power, that leads me to believe that the wire might have a break in it somewhere. I would start by following that wire all the way back as far as you possibly can.

Thank you very much for the reply and info. I did track it, it goes to one of the plugs going into the controller that is under the dash by the drivers knee. I think I will put an ohm meter on it to see if there is a break or not. Good idea.

Thanks again.

Mustangv6nomore

Established Member
Today I had a few minutes, so I put an ohm meter on both ends of the black/pink wire, and there is continuity. So it is good. There can't be many more components in the system, I have replaced the switch, the controller, and the motor, plus every fuse and relay is good.

Really puzzling.

Mustangv6nomore

Established Member
On and off for the past few weeks, I have been trying various things to get the wipers to work as they should. Today I went to a pick and pull yard and examined other similar Mustangs to see what I might be missing. I even cut a fuse box out of one to bring home and put on the bench so I could trace every wire.

Bottom line, I found the problem ! There is a small roundish connector with 4 or 5 wires going into it, and it is located right next to the cruise control motor on the drivers side, up under the fender. It was plugged together, but not making good contact. Once I cleaned it up, the wipers now park and work on every speed.

This might help someone else out, because where that plug is located, it is somewhat vulnerable to getting wet . So, if you are having a similar problem to mine, you might want to unplug and reconnect that plug.

Now I can build my rear seat delete, put on the doors and fenders, and finally do something more that just mess with the wipers.

Users who are viewing this thread