@725rwhp what is SW Cat-Back worth over factory?

Streetpwr281

Established Member
I’m currently running SW 1 7/8 LT’s w their 3” H-pipe w factory exhaust afterwards. Has anyone swapped just the cat-back at ~ this power level and what type of rwhp/rwtq was gained? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Streetpwr281

Established Member
You've pretty much gained all the HP you can from the exhaust. Even going 3" all the way back you won't gain much @ your power level.

That was pretty much my thinking but looking for some real world examples to confirm. Clearly the LT’s and mid-pipe are greatest exhaust gain when you study the factory exhaust sys. If the cat-back at ~ $1k isn’t worth more than 10hp - 12hp I’ll likely stick with the factory cat-back.

Streetpwr281

Established Member
Anyone do an actual before/after cat-back upgrade dyno test o modded 2013/2014 GT-500? Please share your results.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I did a before and after dyno documented here in Oct/Nov. 2014 after the complete SW kit and I'd agree unless you want it really loud, your not going to gain much power.
I actually welded stock mufflers back into the full SW system (also swapped to 2"/3.5" ARH headers) and have the SW rear resonated tops if anyone wants them.
So, sound yes, for power, no.
-J

Streetpwr281

Established Member
I did a before and after dyno documented here in Oct/Nov. 2014 after the complete SW kit and I'd agree unless you want it really loud, your not going to gain much power.
I actually welded stock mufflers back into the full SW system (also swapped to 2"/3.5" ARH headers) and have the SW rear resonated tops if anyone wants them.
-J

Current plan is and has been to stick with the factory cat-back. This is why i just did the SW LT’s and H-pipe to begin with. In regards to sound I had ARH LT’s, 3” OR X-pipe, and 3” Magnaflow Comp Cat-back on my 3.4 Whippled 2007 GT-500 and that was really loud but i can generally tolerate if power results. I was asking the question again to see if anyone could pound the table w real world examples of the power I was missing out on by not upgrading the cat-back specifically. Visually the factory cat-back is not cobbled up or restrictive unless the mufflers are major obstacles to flow. No evidence yet from actual cat back swaps to prove I need to upgrade. Anyone else???

Streetpwr281

Established Member
-J

Current plan is and has been to stick with the factory cat-back. This is why i just did the SW LT’s and H-pipe to begin with. In regards to sound I had ARH LT’s, 3” OR X-pipe, and 3” Magnaflow Comp Cat-back on my 3.4 Whippled 2007 GT-500 and that was really loud but i can generally tolerate if power results. I was asking the question again to see if anyone could pound the table w real world examples of the power I was missing out on by not upgrading the cat-back specifically. Visually the factory cat-back is not cobbled up or restrictive unless the mufflers are major obstacles to flow. No evidence yet from actual cat back swaps to prove I need to upgrade. Anyone else???

RBB

Established Member

I'd say you'd be really hard pressed to find someone who already had long tubes, then swapped mufflers and actually dyno'd it after that to see if they gained anything. You have already removed the biggest point of restriction, you're not going to pick up any power with a muffler swap.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Considering I made 965rwhp thru factory mufflers, I doubt it's a big loss.
As I said above, do it for sound not power. Maybe 10rwhp?
Eventually I'll do dumps and will check both ways.
I also laid out the entire stock exhaust system in my driveway and there are a few restrictions in the pipes but at 2.75" it's flowing well.
-J

Streetpwr281

Established Member
Ok thanks guys. I’m sticking w the factory cat-back for now. Thinking about it more that could also be $1100 towards my future plans for NSR cams in 2018.

Users who are viewing this thread