96-99 Vortech v2 s-trim on 03 Mach 1 questions

SIC9250

Coyote_Mach
Established Member
Hey fellas hope I can get some answers around here,I think I'm on the right track so we'll see..I bought a 96-99 vortech v2 non intercooled kit and from what I'm reading and according to vortechs instructions the 96-99 and 01-04 kits for DOHC 96-99 cobras and machs are very different and it seems that's due to the differences of the timing covers..My question is,if I swapped a 96-99 timing cover onto my Mach would anything other than making a custom bracket for my shaker hold me up? I know the 01-04 kits relocate the alternator and add a idler pulley and bracket to the head unit bracket,i read this was for better belt wrap the 01-04 tensioners/timing covers can't provide. The vortech bracket kit for the Mach is $400,a timing cover is $100 but a bit more labor which is fine with me,id rather save the coin..just curious if I go the 96-99 cover my kit will work 100% on my Mach..I will be wiring up an external IAT and have a lightning maf also..

Also if anyone has ran a march sfi balancer (underdrive) what smaller blower pulley was used to compensate for the lower boost? 3.33? Trying to keep it around 8/9 psi and I know a UD pulley takes boost away I figured I could downsize the blower pulley from a 3.6 (8 psi with stock crank pulley) to bring the boost back up..Any thoughts? I know it's looked down on to have a UD pulley and a blower but I trust this balancer at 7k rpm way more than a stock one!

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I have an ATI balancer in my 99 Cobra, I didn't have to move the alt but I did use the additional idler pulley. It might be better for you to get the correct mounting bracket and hardware and sell the stuff from the kit you bought.

SIC9250

Coyote_Mach
Established Member
You used this bracket and did not relocate the alternator?? I don't think we're talking about the same idler,I don't see how that's possible..

7529239D-6B9E-46B0-A5B9-BC39A7E60CB8.png

omj

Established Member
What is the part # on your bracket? I have a 96-99 kit and it went on fine w/ my 99 cover. I also have an extra cover I'd be willing to sell you.

cobra-boss

Established Member
The throttle body is in a different location. The tubes from the head unit the intake are different. I would print instructions for a 96-98 and for your 03 Mach1. Vortec has a complete parts list, compare the lists, see what you need..

Users who are viewing this thread