97 cobra crank.

Diosdeguerra

I'm looking to buy a 97 cobra for pretty cheap, engine is Disassembled and out of the car. The crank is messed up due to the rods needs to be turned. Is it worth turning or should my 5.4 2v crank work just fine in the cobra? Are all the 4.6 Sohc and 5.4 sohc cranks all the same as the 96-98 cobra? Or will I just be wasting my time?

BLACK97C0BRA

97DOHCAMMER
Established Member
The cobra crank is an 8 bolt forged crank good for 1000hp, the others you mentioned are 6 bolt, so unless you plan on changing flywheel,clutch ect stick with the cobra crank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

ZeroDCX

Established Member
All cobra crankshafts are forged steel. A good rule of thumb is in the older modular world 93' to '04 (and some outliers), if its 8-bolt its forged. 6-bolt cranks are cast. Both have been proven to be stout, but the nod goes to the forged crank.

Diosdeguerra

Awesome thanks, guys. So if I were to just want to get it running could I pit a gt crank or a 5.4 crank it in and call it good or will the 5.4 crank make it have a different stroke

nomoretickets

Established Member
Awesome thanks, guys. So if I were to just want to get it running could I pit a gt crank or a 5.4 crank it in and call it good or will the 5.4 crank make it have a different stroke

Short answer: No, you cant just put a 5.4 crank in a 4.6.

Just get the OEM cobra crank turned and reuse it. There is a reason the OEM crank is used in even the fastest mod motor 4.6's. Its the best option for our cars.

Helomech74

Established Member
Not all 8 bolt cranks are forged. Some years of GT's used 8 bolt cast cranks. Easiest way to tell is by the center counter weights. If it's 8 bolt and has the center counter weights, then it's an OEM Kellogg forged crank. The coloring and texture between the two are also different. If you decide to turn your crank, make sure the shop that does it has it nitride coated again.

ZeroDCX

Established Member
Not all 8 bolt cranks are forged. Some years of GT's used 8 bolt cast cranks. Easiest way to tell is by the center counter weights. If it's 8 bolt and has the center counter weights, then it's an OEM Kellogg forged crank. The coloring and texture between the two are also different. If you decide to turn your crank, make sure the shop that does it has it nitride coated again.

Really!? Good info here. Appreciate the correction.

Helomech74

Established Member
Really!? Good info here. Appreciate the correction.

I believe the 8 bolt cast cranks showed up in the 2000 model year GT's on the Windsor built motors. The lack of the center counter weights is the easiest way to tell the difference between the cast and forged cranks with 8 bolt flywheel mount flange.

coposrv

Established Member
I believe the 8 bolt cast cranks showed up in the 2000 model year GT's on the Windsor built motors. The lack of the center counter weights is the easiest way to tell the difference between the cast and forged cranks with 8 bolt flywheel mount flange.

Beat me to it. Yes. 99-00 gt windsor built engines came with 8 bolt cast cranks and 11" flywheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread