'97 Cobra low rpm stumble/hesitation

Jonesy98

Established Member
this might have been done already, but you may also check the throttle body itself. make sure its cleaned and the lil holes on each butterfly. could be that, maybe even a vaccum leak, bad seal somewhere between the maf and intake tube? pcv? have you checked the FPR?

Phoenix0783

Established Member
I'll take a look at the throttle body. I've replaced the fuel pressure regulator with one I had lying around. Pressure was good with both of them at idle.

Could a bad pcv cause something like this? I may just replace it, they can't cost that much.

Tickle

Established Member
A few questions:

Are you throwing any codes?

How did you clean the IMRCs?

When you cleaned the fuel injectors, what all did you do?

You can check for vacuum leaks with smoke(you tube vids show how)or carb cleaner. The leak may not be with vacuum lines, it could be somewhere on the intake---this is where carb cleaner will help you find a leak.

Phoenix0783

Established Member
The only code that's shown up is a cylinder 1 misfire, but that was just while crusing (not bucking/hesitating). I've cleared the codes with the scanner and then I unplug the battery overnight each time I try a fix. It hasn't shown up lately, though.

I took everything apart and cleaned them by hand.

I didn't clean the fuel injectors, I bought some that had been sonically cleaned and whatnot that had new everything.

Phoenix0783

Established Member
O2 sensors:
hrYlcrql.png

It does seem to be idling better after replacing them. I'm going to drive it in the morning and see.

Phoenix0783

Established Member
TPS checked out. I also checked it with an old school dial type volt meter. No flat spots or anything.

How do I test the IAC? I took it off the intake and the plunger seems to move fine.

Also, it's idling right around 600. What should the idle be at?

Tickle

Established Member
Do you have your old injectors? Were they bad when you replaced them with the ones that had been sonically cleaned? If the old ones worked you could try swapping them back to see if the problem goes away.

The reason I ask is that I have heard of rebuilt injectors having issues--I read this in a thread while researching where someone rebuilt their injectors and installed the wrong screens which restricted things and caused problems--maybe the person/placeyou bought yours did the same thing. Just another idea to chase down.

Good luck--I hope you fix this--I hate chasing problems like these.

Phoenix0783

Established Member
So, after poking around I discovered that the #1 spark plug is shorting to the head through a crack in the spark plug wire boot. These are a new set of wires, so I'm going to see if rock auto will replace them. No one around here stock wires for a cobra, so I'm going to put some electrical tape (if there's room. tight fit) around the crack and see if that fixes it.

Phoenix0783

Established Member
Here's what the plug boot on #1 looked like:
ipVMFsW.png

These were brand new motorcraft wires. Good thing they have a year warranty. Put another set on today. Running nice and smooth now.

Users who are viewing this thread