99 cobra clutch

extreame636

Established Member
Throw out bearing is going bad so prob just gonna put a new clutch in while I have the trans dropped . The only reason I say that is beocuse the clutch is really stiff almost like a work out to drive the car but it shifts fine I'm sure it's prob just the cable that needs replaced any input I would appreciate. The car has an aluminum fly wheel not sure what clutch is in it .

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Has the clutch gotten stiffer over time or has it been stiff since you bought the car? The previous owner may have put a stiffer clutch in. If you are just gonna start replacing parts that don't need replacing, you are gonna spend some money. You'll also need a new flywheel, depending on the model you have. You need to resurface the flywheel, but most aluminum flywheels can't be resurfaced. Some have a removal wear plate that can be swapped out. Other become garbage. You'll also need a thrust bearing. I know it is tempting because the trans is a pain to get out, but if there is nothing wrong with what is there, don't touch it.

Ironmancuck

Banned
Established Member
I put in a McLeod RXT twin disc clutch in my car and although it was expensive, the pedal effort is lighter than before and more like a Toyota Corolla than a Mustang.

I would replace the pilot bearing and throw out bearing while everything is apart .

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'd find out what kind of clutch it is before you start talking about swapping. It would suck to swap it out and find out it's just as stiff. You can pull the cable and lube it. I think some guys have used cable lube for motorcycles with success. Plus a bad TOB can cause a heavy pedal as well. Depending on how broken it is. Did you install the flywheel and clutch or was that what the PO owner said?

extreame636

Established Member
Thanks for the input it had an aluminum flywheel in it and it was in pretty bad shape not sure what clutch it was everything was wore off . Got a new stock clutch and flywheel I don't see a need to get an aluminum flywheel and afemarket clutch for the hp this car has .

Users who are viewing this thread