Accufab/GT500 Throttle Body Gains on VMP and Cheapest Place To Get One

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
I am looking to install an Accufab or GT500 throttle body and elbow on my Cobra, but wanted some feedback on what gains some of you have seen with replacing the throttle body with one or the other.

Also, where would be the cheapest place to pick up one or the other along with the VMP elbow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comp04svt

Established Member
To be honest, I feel it may be kind of a toss up. I got my TVS when they were fairly new to market. I ordered the GT500 setup before they were released and had to wait to put it on. I installed the TVS with the LFP that was on my whipple, and swapped the next year to the GT500. I don't really have an apples to apples comparison because at the same time that I swapped the TB, I went from a 3.2 pulley to a 3.1 pulley. LFP on the 3.1 pulley 17.5-18 psi made 595 wheel. GT500 on the 3.1 19psi made 619 wheel on 93. Switched to E85 on the dyno and went 685 wheel. The 24-25 hp I gained could very well be from the pulley swap, but I have no clue how much the TB helped. I look at it this way. If you have a stock throttle body on the TVS currently, then I would definitely jump into a GT500 setup. If you currently have an accufab/LFP/dragon, I wouldn't bother upgrading.

The mods listed in your sig would tell me that I doubt, with all you have done, you'd still be on a stock throttle body, lol. But if you are, then you'd see some great gains going to the GT500. The GT500 really shines with higher boost levels. And with cams/20psi/E85 I'm sure it would be a nice jump.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
To be honest, I feel it may be kind of a toss up. I got my TVS when they were fairly new to market. I ordered the GT500 setup before they were released and had to wait to put it on. I installed the TVS with the LFP that was on my whipple, and swapped the next year to the GT500. I don't really have an apples to apples comparison because at the same time that I swapped the TB, I went from a 3.2 pulley to a 3.1 pulley. LFP on the 3.1 pulley 17.5-18 psi made 595 wheel. GT500 on the 3.1 19psi made 619 wheel on 93. Switched to E85 on the dyno and went 685 wheel. The 24-25 hp I gained could very well be from the pulley swap, but I have no clue how much the TB helped. I look at it this way. If you have a stock throttle body on the TVS currently, then I would definitely jump into a GT500 setup. If you currently have an accufab/LFP/dragon, I wouldn't bother upgrading.

The mods listed in your sig would tell me that I doubt, with all you have done, you'd still be on a stock throttle body, lol. But if you are, then you'd see some great gains going to the GT500. The GT500 really shines with higher boost levels. And with cams/20psi/E85 I'm sure it would be a nice jump.

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I am currently still on the stock throttle body. But not for long. The engine rebuild is where most of my money went last year.

Comp04svt

Established Member
Thanks for the reply! Yes, I am currently still on the stock throttle body. But not for long. The engine rebuild is where most of my money went last year.

No problem! Yeah, in your case I'd definitely go right to the GT500 setup. You should see some nice gains over the stocker!

cj428mach

Established Member
I've owned a billetflow, accufab and gt500 tb. The gt500 tb is a monster but it also idles perfectly and the cruise function works just like stock. I have to say its the best tb I've ever used, billetflow was the worst.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Yep, hitting dead ends with the GT500 elbow. VMP’s website shows the elbow on backorder.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
I've owned a billetflow, accufab and gt500 tb. The gt500 tb is a monster but it also idles perfectly and the cruise function works just like stock. I have to say its the best tb I've ever used, billetflow was the worst.

Thanks for that info!

04oxfordvert

Established Member
just installed a 2.3 tvs gen 1 with gt500 tbody. same tune from my kb 2.8. and a billetflow. and it idles so perfect! cant wait till its tuned! go gt500 bud!

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
I know i saw a thread on here where a guy did a back to back swap and didnt gain any power. But I got a GT500 Tbody because YOLO. And yes it does drive awesome.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
just installed a 2.3 tvs gen 1 with gt500 tbody. same tune from my kb 2.8. and a billetflow. and it idles so perfect! cant wait till its tuned! go gt500 bud!

Well, got with Malcolm this morning and ordered the GT500 setup.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
I know i saw a thread on here where a guy did a back to back swap and didnt gain any power. But I got a GT500 Tbody because YOLO. And yes it does drive awesome.

Did you retune your car? I talked to 04sleeper and he said it wasn’t necessary.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
The gt500 tb is a monster but it also idles perfectly and the cruise function works just like stock. I have to say its the best tb I've ever used]

I'd agree with that. They work amazing. The look almost identical to the Whipple 160 mm mono blades, in fact they're completely interchangeable but for some reason the Whipple one sucks horribly at leaking air and providing terrible idle woes.

Did you retune your car? I talked to 04sleeper and he said it wasn’t necessary.

Correct, no retune needed.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Got the GT 500 throttle body on last Thursday, and I wish I would’ve done it sooner. My car idles better with this setup than it did with the stock throttle body. Throttle response is so much better. It is going to need retuned. LAMBDA drops off a bit when getting into the throttle now.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Glad to hear it works so well. You other TB must have been bad to cause tune issues. If anything some minor tweaks should have you back in business.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Hard to believe how much more air this throttle body flows over stock. With my mods, the stock throttle body was more restrictive than I ever thought it would be. I went to go into boost hard and the car went lean, big time. Obviously, I let out of it. Can't wait to get this thing retuned.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I wish I still had some. They are all sold out and I work non stop with tuning and selling parts etc. I haven't had time to make anymore in years. They are effectively discontinued till further notice. Sorry about that.

Users who are viewing this thread