alignment

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Man I would NEVER think of trying to fix this basic issue on a service you paid for. This would be reported to dealership GM and directly to Ford if they don't make it right.
Incompetence should not be tolerated.
-J

kwarnerjr

Established Member
OP, did you ever resolve this issue?

I just had some work done to my rear end and driving home I noticed my steering wheel was slightly off centered. The shop told me to see if an alignment will correct the issue. I have one scheduled for Monday but in the event that does not correct this issue I was wondering if you had solved your problem and how?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Beercules

Established Member
Can I align the steering wheel myself? Can the wheel be removed from the steering shaft and realigned? Looking for any ideas or proven procedure to perform.

There's a knuckle down next to the headers between the steering shaft and rack. You can use that to center your steering wheel without touching the alignment stuff. It's amazing alignment shops don't know about this.
Bolt on either side of the knuckle loosen, move wheel to center, tighten.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Thank you gentlemen. I was thinking bad thoughts, sell Shelby by lexus coupe. I don't want to beat up on my local dealership, they treat me well. But this seems basic stuff, wheel should be centered. As for the asymmetrical steering response, well that might be a direct cause from toe adjustment? I am not an expert but I can learn just like the rest of us. I cant believe I am this sensitive abut this car. What and when did this happen? lol

Id prefer to have the alignment redone than mess with steering position.

My guess is that the alignment rack in the shop is no longer level, or the tech that did the alignment didnt make sure the rack was level. You may have an out of spec panhard rod though, as rear thrust angle thats off WILL effect steering angle.

And OP, the new Lexus coupes are fun to drive(RC F, LC 500) but they are HEAVY. They need at least 600hp to be a credible performance car. However the build quality is second to none, especially on the LC 500. The same team that built all the LFAs essentially hand assembles all the LC 500s.

You might as well get a Mustang GT for a better performance potential compared to the lexus coupes. at least until the LC F comes out. See my screen name for my credentials. :D

norcalcobra

Established Member
OP, did you ever resolve this issue?

I just had some work done to my rear end and driving home I noticed my steering wheel was slightly off centered. The shop told me to see if an alignment will correct the issue. I have one scheduled for Monday but in the event that does not correct this issue I was wondering if you had solved your problem and how?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
I spoke to the sales GM and he put his best service writer on it. LOL. They swapped the front wheels with each other. Then called me to test drive it. Still slightly off center. Feel like it wonders on the crown of the road.
I have come to the conclusion that I can't keep taking it to the dealership and expect better results. Might try adjusting the knuckle on the steering shaft. Good luck and hope your dealership has more experienced staff.

kwarnerjr

Established Member
I spoke to the sales GM and he put his best service writer on it. LOL. They swapped the front wheels with each other. Then called me to test drive it. Still slightly off center. Feel like it wonders on the crown of the road.
I have come to the conclusion that I can't keep taking it to the dealership and expect better results. Might try adjusting the knuckle on the steering shaft. Good luck and hope your dealership has more experienced staff.

My dealership was able to correct the alignment with no issues luckily :)

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

MAZZ MAN

Established Member
Ok I know this sounds odd but is the car following the road crown.
When in the slow lane is it off to the left and in the fast lane off to the right, is so it follows the crown of the road. The car front tires on our cars will make it do that.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread