Ambient lighting magic

psycholx

ALWAYS STANG, SOMETIMES L
Established Member
I noticed my abient lighting going off when i put hte car in reverse. Is it suppost to do that? I seen it and I almost freaked, thought i was having electrical problems, everybody knows electrical problems are the worste. Just wondering have anyone else noticed this.

GLASSTOPGT500

Established Member
Hey did u end up figuring out whats going on with the lighting?? 2012 shelby with electrical mysteries, can't say I ever seen it before. MAYBE there is a fuse that blew and caused something to rest in an open circuit when the tail lights go on or something? I really hope it isn't an electrical problem, I would want a new car!

54First

Grouchy Old Guy
Established Member
On my 2008 the ambient control switch is on the right side of the console. If the 2012 is the same, the ambient wire harness runs past the shifter on the right hand side and would be closest to the lever in reverse. Check for some kind of interference, either a short or the harness pulling on the switch, etc. If the switch is somewhere else, I have no clue.

Steve

psycholx

Established Member
On my 2008 the ambient control switch is on the right side of the console. If the 2012 is the same, the ambient wire harness runs past the shifter on the right hand side and would be closest to the lever in reverse. Check for some kind of interference, either a short or the harness pulling on the switch, etc. If the switch is somewhere else, I have no clue.

Steve

Steve, no switch in the consol that I am aware of. controls are on the lower left dask.

Hey did u end up figuring out whats going on with the lighting?? 2012 shelby with electrical mysteries, can't say I ever seen it before. MAYBE there is a fuse that blew and caused something to rest in an open circuit when the tail lights go on or something? I really hope it isn't an electrical problem, I would want a new car!

Glasstop, I did figure it out, 1400 dollars later. It was the PCM dropping the crank sensor. They replace crank and cam sensor, thought it was fixed, and it did it again when they went to pull the truck out the garage, more testing revealed the PCM, got a new one, all was good, then had a EVAP sensor bad, replaced, no issues. Running great now, just 6 miles from 40000 miles.

As far as the ambient lighting, i did a little testing today, when in reverse it goes out and flashes maybe every two seconds, put it back in neutral, it comes back on. So I tried it with the car running vs not running. It only does it when the car is running. If I turn the car off, it comes back on. If I turn on the ignition and not start it stays on, but once the car is started, it goes out and blinks like stated above. Maybe its an alert feature that tells you the car is in reverse when its dark out and inside the car. I dont know, its not an a problem (yet), just want to know if its normal or if something is wrong. Thanks for all the replies, I ask all the Shelby owners check to see if theirs does it, 2012 year.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

psycholx

Established Member
Steve, no switch in the consol that I am aware of. controls are on the lower left dask.

Glasstop, I did figure it out, 1400 dollars later. It was the PCM dropping the crank sensor. They replace crank and cam sensor, thought it was fixed, and it did it again when they went to pull the truck out the garage, more testing revealed the PCM, got a new one, all was good, then had a EVAP sensor bad, replaced, no issues. Running great now, just 6 miles from 40000 miles.

As far as the ambient lighting, i did a little testing today, when in reverse it goes out and flashes maybe every two seconds, put it back in neutral, it comes back on. So I tried it with the car running vs not running. It only does it when the car is running. If I turn the car off, it comes back on. If I turn on the ignition and not start it stays on, but once the car is started, it goes out and blinks like stated above. Maybe its an alert feature that tells you the car is in reverse when its dark out and inside the car. I dont know, its not an a problem (yet), just want to know if its normal or if something is wrong. Thanks for all the replies, I ask all the Shelby owners check to see if theirs does it, 2012 year.

Thanks again.

After reading thru this thread, I realized that I mixed up an issue with my Lightning and the Shelby. Glasstop, I apologize for giving you the wrong information. i did get the light issue fixed, dealearship said it was the BCM module,, they replaced, still no fix. After further investigation, they finally removed the panel behind the lights and noticed the reverse light wire was pinched behind the mounting stud and bolt, shorting against the body. They spliced wire, retightened the nut, and all is good now. My first thought from the beginning was to looked behind the panel, but I said to myself, "Self, its under warranty, take it to the dealership."
The guy that switched the lights when I traded the '10 GT in must have pinched it when he changed it. Anyway, all is good.

NuclearPower

Established Member
2012 here and the ambient lighting stay on the entire time. It does NOT go off when in reverse.

GLASSTOPGT500

Established Member
lol yeah I did get what you meant... figured "lighting/lightning" made you think of the other issue
Sounded something like that, I used to be a mobile electronics installer as one of my first real jobs, its one of the nightmares you don't want to deal with. Good thing it was not a wire that could have messed up alot more then just the ambient lighting. Once when I was young and stupid, on my first Mustang I hooked up my aftermarket tach to the "park lighting" ... well one day driving it all I guess melted and shorted and I needed to get my ignition coil and some other wiring replaced. :) not as lucky as a ambient lighting wire. Did not help that it was freezing cold that night and I had shit all to work with to get it running again... tow truck $150... mechanic $400... knowing what the heck you are doing... $priceless

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread