Another 5.0 or GT500 Thread

usafimj

Established Member
Are you guys happy with your 11-14 5.0? I know I'm enjoying my '11 5.0 but I truly want a GT500. I've had mine for almost a year now. While I love modding my cars I keep telling myself I can just put that mod money into a down payment 2011 GT500. Now I do have a stockpile of suspension parts waiting to be tossed on my 5.0. I want to sell them as use it as part of my down payment. Is the upgrade worth it? One has the better engine while my 5.0 has those creature comforts that people like. This will be a daily driver. Don't believe in letting cars sit waiting for a nice sunny day. Just don't know what too do.

Current Ride:
2011 5.0 w/ 29K miles, Black w/ Black/blue premium leather interior, 3.31 gears, 6spd manual, heated seats, rear view camera. I am far from upside down on my car loan. Have a decent amount from what I owe and what my car costs if I trade it in.

GT500 I'm looking at:
2011 GT500 w/ 41K miles, Black w/ silver stripes, Black leather interior, Navigation, SVT Pkg, Flowmaster exhaust, Cost $38,200

imeyers302

Established Member
Are you guys happy with your 11-14 5.0? I know I'm enjoying my '11 5.0 but I truly want a GT500. I've had mine for almost a year now. While I love modding my cars I keep telling myself I can just put that mod money into a down payment 2011 GT500. Now I do have a stockpile of suspension parts waiting to be tossed on my 5.0. I want to sell them as use it as part of my down payment. Is the upgrade worth it? One has the better engine while my 5.0 has those creature comforts that people like. This will be a daily driver. Don't believe in letting cars sit waiting for a nice sunny day. Just don't know what too do.

Current Ride:
2011 5.0 w/ 29K miles, Black w/ Black/blue premium leather interior, 3.31 gears, 6spd manual, heated seats, rear view camera. I am far from upside down on my car loan. Have a decent amount from what I owe and what my car costs if I trade it in.

GT500 I'm looking at:
2011 GT500 w/ 41K miles, Black w/ silver stripes, Black leather interior, Navigation, SVT Pkg, Flowmaster exhaust, Cost $38,200

Just my $.02 but unless you have to have a shelby, just throw a blower on the 5.0 and call it a day. With suspension parts you are upgrading and a blower it will outperform the shelby in all aspects. Now a 13-14 GT500 might be a different story.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
" GT500 I'm looking at:
2011 GT500 w/ 41K miles, Black w/ silver stripes, Black leather interior, Navigation, SVT Pkg, Flowmaster exhaust, Cost $38,200 "
A lot of $$$$, considering the mileage, there should be better deals out there !

Last edited:

50stangpower

Established Member
Shelby all the way. Everyone has a gt, and everyone compares it to a gt500. I don't think financing a toy is a good idea but that's my personal opinion.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Bet you can get a lower miles 11 GT 500 for the same $$

" GT500 I'm looking at:
2011 GT500 w/ 41K miles, Black w/ silver stripes, Black leather interior, Navigation, SVT Pkg, Flowmaster exhaust, Cost $38,200 "
A lot of $$$$, considering the mileage, there should be better deals out there !

yep and yep.... I have seen several 2011 GT500s around here with that kind of mileage going for low to mid-30s around here. Paying nearly 40K for a car with 41,000 miles is ridiculous.

kdaly

Established Member
I also dont believe in financing a toy. Transportation yes, but not a toy. I just dont think the shelby's are gonna hold their value unless its a 13-14. The power/performance on the new cars are gonna make them not as desirable. Also that much money for one is too much. 41k of ass beating miles. Put your sus on and buy a turbo when you have the money in cash and enjoy the **** out of it. You'll smoke pretty much smoke most if not all cars you regularly come in contact with. just my worthless .02

Turbo5.0

Established Member
I was considering a GT500 when I bought my 5.0 instead. One main factor was the thought if I blew up a GT500, the rebuild cost would be significantly more expensive than a Coyote.

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
I was shopping low mile 07-09 GT500's before buying my 500 mile 14 GT/CS. I had a 03 cobra with lot's of low end torque which created instant spin on street tires with the manual. The automatic was the selling point to me. My car is super consistent.

J_Roc

Established Member
Between those two, I vote the 5.0.

I'm in a similar but different boat myself. Considering either keeping and slapping a VMP Stage2 on my 5.0 or jumping to a C6 Z06. One thing I'm considering is that resale scenarios will probably favor the Vette if I look for another change in a few years. I'd pretty much never get rid of the 5.0 if I go the mod route, or I'd take a significant loss.

usafimj

Established Member
Just my $.02 but unless you have to have a shelby, just throw a blower on the 5.0 and call it a day. With suspension parts you are upgrading and a blower it will outperform the shelby in all aspects. Now a 13-14 GT500 might be a different story.

Bet you can get a lower miles 11 GT 500 for the same $$

Not in Germany.

Bolt a TVS on your 5.0 and you'll be grinning from ear to ear.

I had a TVS pushing 8spi on my old '07 GT and loved it.

" GT500 I'm looking at:

Not in Germany.

yep and yep.... I have seen several 2011 GT500s around here with that kind of mileage going for low to mid-30s around here. Paying nearly 40K for a car with 41,000 miles is ridiculous.

Not in Germany.

Guess I should have put that I'm stationed in Germany haha

JLear

2014 GT
Established Member
Ive had both and here's my opinion based strictly on my own personal thoughts and use for the cars.. I wanted the Shelby for a weekend toy and also because it was a "Shelby", after I started hanging around the drag strip and there was some changes in my personal life I decided to trade for a 5.0 and overall much happier with what I have now. I chose the 5.0 with an auto based on I knew it was going to the track, no driver mod needed for guys that are not good at banging gears like myself, and it would be much easier on parts.

I think it all comes down to what each individual wants and how they plan to use the car, if you want the prestige of having a certain model of car then by all means get the Shelby, if you want a fun car that can be made just as fast if racing is your thing then I'd suggest a 5.0.

After reading a similar thread in another section of this forum I will tell ya that unlike what people seem to think, owning a Shelby does not make your penis larger, just your head on top of your shoulders lol. It just rubs me the wrong way when someone with a 11 second Shelby belittles my car and calls it just a GT. I didn't buy it to never drive and hope it becomes a collector someday, I bought it to drive and have fun with.

Sorry for the long post and hopefully it makes a little bit of sense lol.

Skrapmetal

Established Member
If you want a Shelby because it's a Shelby, get one. You wont be happy otherwise.

If you want the Shelby strictly because of the performance, I'd stick with what you have and build it.

5lho

Established Member
Now that I'm struggling with rheumatoid arthritis, the Shelby is out bc they only make a stick. So, I'll just stick with the auto 14 I bought and mod it. I see Rush now offers auto versions but why spend tons on a car when I can get better out of mods?

5lho

Established Member
My favourite are the "11 sec Shelbys" at the track bc I did 11 sec on my last gear-banging loaded 12 GT with just a tune and tire. Really cranks them up. The Roush cars are pure shit at the track, mostly slower than full exhaust GTs, especially when the air temps start to rise.

mitchster

Established Member
There was a news article in one of the magazine about this subject. The conclusion was: Buy a GT and mod it the way you want it and save thousands of dollars.

Users who are viewing this thread