Another 5.0 or GT500 Thread

usafimj

Established Member
My favourite are the "11 sec Shelbys" at the track bc I did 11 sec on my last gear-banging loaded 12 GT with just a tune and tire. Really cranks them up. The Roush cars are pure shit at the track, mostly slower than full exhaust GTs, especially when the air temps start to rise.

You must feel like a boss at the track

5lho

Established Member
Nah...just a GT, har.....

I just think you feel better about achieving something when you earn it.

Unrealford

Established Member
I started driving Mustangs since 1984, still driving them today.
Moved up the ranks and last 3 were 04 Mach1, then yo 12 Boss 302, then Shelby GT500 (12).
5.0 have great power and can be faster then Shelbys.
I myself love driving Mustangs that are special models,
From back to 1969 Mach1s, to 84 SVOs,
I think you can't go wrong either way.
But depends on your uses, and $$

Cabikejumper

Blown n stroked ;)
Established Member
If you want a 6spd, get the Shelby.

I have a auto 5.0 and it's boring. Didn't want to fight with the Mt82 issues. So I drive the Shelby mainly.

4ADC21FD-64AC-4E9B-A321-E5B5A84BDBC1_zpsmrwoljop.jpg

5lho

Established Member
Man, I like your garage. I need an auto daily, with rheumatoid arthritis and all but, the GT500 stick for the times when I'm not symptomatic on the weekend would be awesome.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Stationed in Germany? None of those, sell it, buy a cheaper car, and go TRAVEL. Spend your time and money there adventuring. Rent a badass car for the ring a time or 2.

Uncle Rusty

Established Member
You'll get a hell of a lot better performance out of say a VMP TVS kit compared to the Shelby. Your car already weighs 200lbs less, and you should be able to safely make 600+whp on Stock internals which should keep you close or matching the performance of the 13/14 Shelby's. Since you have an automatic, you'll never have to worry about blowing the transmission up because the 6R80 is a beast and can safely handle up to 1000HP.

If you go that route don't forget to upgrade suspension/control arms to put the power down, don't skimp out on the heat exchanger, and make sure you have decent rubber. May want to consider getting a higher stall converter if you want to launch harder or like to take the car to the strip.

The Shelby's certainly do look cool, but to me it's just not a huge visual difference...slightly different bumpers and badges, and a slightly nicer interior but it's certainly not night and day or anything.

Last edited:

Douglas White

Established Member
Between those two, I vote the 5.0.

I'm in a similar but different boat myself. Considering either keeping and slapping a VMP Stage2 on my 5.0 or jumping to a C6 Z06. One thing I'm considering is that resale scenarios will probably favor the Vette if I look for another change in a few years. I'd pretty much never get rid of the 5.0 if I go the mod route, or I'd take a significant loss.

Don't bet on it, the C6 is like the C4. It's one of the red headed step children of the Corvette World. The C5 is the one you want. Prices have bottomed out on the C5's and are just now starting to increase. The C6 is a MEH Corvette in the 'Vette world. And the C5's are absolute beasts when modded (and they are easy and cheap to mod comparitively).

IMHO. Honestly? I'd prefer the Boss. If they made one in 2014 when I bought my GT, I'd be driving it instead. My biggest issue is the Chinese manual transmission they stuck in all the mustangs. The Automatic has proven time and again to be able to handle upwards of 600hp without any modifications.

GT500, all power and no handling. The 2013 Boss Mustang was heralded as one of the best handling Mustangs of this Generation even with the LRA hampering it. Plus, beefed up internals.

Horsepower is just a number. You have to be able to put it down on tarmac and DRIVE it to get any fun out of it. I'd choose a Boss any day of the week, though not at the prices that current owners are asking. (Really, 40,000 for a 2013 with 50k miles on it. ummm, no. I'd rather buy a pristine C5 for 18k with less than 15k miles.)

People tend to forget that Ford put a LOT of work from 2011 onward into making the Mustang Handle as well as it could. 2013-2014 models is about as good as it gets for the LRA Mustangs. Which is why I bought one instead of waiting a whole two months for the 2015's. If I wanted a safe car where all the raw visceral power of the old muscle cars was massaged away, I would have bought a Challenger.

You don't know what you're missing until you drive a '69 Mach 1 or a Boss 427 when they were first introduced. Scary as hell and a thrill like no other.

My 2014 GT is an Auto. I love it. With a simple tune I can out match anyone with the MT82 Craptastic Stick. Select Shift for the win.

Old school muscle? Stick shift all the way. because old school automatics sucked and really were slushboxes.

The new 10 speed Automatic that Ford and GM co-engineered (and is coming on the 2017 ZL1 Camaro) is going to usher in a new era (although I think 10 speeds is a bit more than necessary except for trucks that do a lot of hauling. And 11 heat exchangers? Holy hell).

The ONLY reason why I would buy a Shelby GT500 is because he is dead and gone (Rest In Peace). The 350GT has his name, but it's just not the same. I'd rather see Ford retire the Shelby series and focus more on the Mach 1's and Boss Mustangs as special editions. It really pisses me off that all the recent Mach 1's have been little more than cars with Badging and.... That's it. Even the Bullitt that Steve McQueen drove was a custom, per Steve's request, they stuck a 390ci engine in it and beefed up the suspension. What'd they do to the last Bullitt that was released? Nothing. They painted green and gave it badges.

Last but not least, Whatever I bought, it would be unmolested. No mods. Completely stock. I would insist on it. When you start Modding cars like that, the value starts dropping through the floor.

And I agree. Of the GT500's, the 13's and 14's are way better than the 11's.

Last edited:

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
I must be the only one who came up with Fox body 5.0's. The fender badge is a big thing for me. It is sooooo cool. A buddy and I made fun of GT500's when they were released back in 07' (we both owned 600+ rwhp Terminators back then) because of the cartoonish sized emblems and lettering, along with snakes on the fenders since it wasn't a Cobra. He now owns one and I own a 5.0. Ha! I couldn't care less about prestige or slightly better resale value. I wanted "a 5.0" like the old days. Back then, it was what we called them regardless of them being an LX, GT or Cobra.

When I saw how easy a TVS/6R80/5.0 car could go mid 10's and also 60' in the 1.5's with a stock converter and no suspension modifications required, I went for it. What a ride it has been. I'm in it for the long haul with this car.

But for you, muh man, based on your comments, it sounds like you should buy the Shelby.

Last edited:

Smurfzilla

Established Member
I must be the only one who came up with Fox body 5.0's. The fender badge is a big thing for me. It is sooooo cool. A buddy and I made fun of GT500's when they were released back in 07' (we both owned 600+ rwhp Terminators back then) because of the cartoonish sized emblems and lettering, along with snakes on the fenders since it wasn't a Cobra. He now owns one and I own a 5.0. Ha! I couldn't care less about prestige or slightly better resale value. I wanted "a 5.0" like the old days. Back then, it was what we called them regardless of them being an LX, GT or Cobra.

When I saw how easy a TVS/6R80/5.0 car could go mid 10's and also 60' in the 1.5's with a stock converter and no suspension modifications required, I went for it. What a ride it has been. I'm in it for the long haul with this car.

But for you, muh man, based on your comments, it sounds like you should buy the Shelby.

Don't mean to bump an old thread, but I just had this conversation a few days ago. Stopped at a buddies and he was working on his '11 5.0 in his driveway when a 10-12 gt500 drove by and he was in awe. I told him that he could put that money difference between the two cars into his GT and have a far superior car. Don't get me wrong, Shelby's are way cool but the only reason one would buy one is because they really wanted a Shelby. Period. Some buy them for an investment, but there are far better things to invest in than a vehicle. I don't have my car so that it will be worth $$$ in the future. I have my car because it's fun as **** to drive. Not too sure where the slight arrogance comes from, from being a Shelby owner but personally I would take way more pride in a ride that I built (not just bought) that would drag a Shelby. Just like HC owners. Sure you have a massive car payment for an out of the box beast, but where's the fun in that?! I love researching and deciding on parts then installing them myself in my garage. Way more satisfying. Nothing bonds you and your car like bleeding on it while making it faster!

I'm with this poster, in that I'm an old school Five Liter guy (bought an '89 hatch LX 5.0 in '92 when I was 15). We didn't call them Mustang's. We simply called them Five Liters. As soon as the '11s came out and donned the 5.0 badge on the side, I knew I had to have one.

calebdnehus

Established Member
I have an S550 5.0 and I was just like you. I started looking at a 14 GT500. After I drove it, and I gave her some h*ll, I preferred my '17 performance pack. It rode much better and felt much nicer inside than the GT500. You dont notice how much a step up the S550 is until your in one for a while and go back to a S197 5.0. I had a '13 5.0 before my '17 and I loved my '13 but this new car just outshines it in most everyway. The only thing that I miss (and only sometimes) was the raw nature of the car. It would get squirrely WAYY easier than my S550 and it made a fun sometimes. This new car just sticks to the road and hauls ass. I've got a VMP stage 2 waiting to go on as we speak

RUgoinup?

We will NEVER forget!
Established Member
I've had plenty of badazz GT's. But my previous '03 Cobra, and current Boss 302 are truly special. I wanted a GT500, and almost bought one before I found my Boss ($33K with 800 miles). The deal I got allowed me to put a blower on it (750+hp).

jk57

Established Member
Man wish I had that problem deciding

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Stang Lover

Established Member
Had this topic come up the other day with my buddy. Me personally I look at a shelby as just another fast mustang. You can bolt on a SC/turbo to a 5.0 and be at the same or more power level for less. Still have to upgrade the suspension on both if you wanna lay that power down. Heck if you boost an S550 you can push 7-800 all day. I do like the looks of the shelby so I would just buy the body pieces and have a win/win car.

RUgoinup?

We will NEVER forget!
Established Member
Not the same. It's why ford calls them Specialty Cars. It's why they cost more new. It's why they're desirable and appreciate when they get older. A V6 is not a GT. A GT is not a GT500. Let's not kid ourselves here.

Users who are viewing this thread