Any Volvo Experts on here?

CV355

_
Established Member
The bad luck train left the station for my wife and I this past week. Her Jeep is completely out of commission due to a serious car accident I can't talk about (not her fault, that's all I'll say).

We're down to just my Volvo S40T5 to get around (I refuse to DD the GT500, and motorcycles suck in the rain), and the poor Volvo is starting to develop transmission issues. It shifts firm, doesn't slip, but seems to "hunt" between 4th and 5th gear at low throttle. It can't just pick a gear and stay unless it's on an open highway with no traffic, or under decent load. I'm leaning towards a valvebody issue. It's an '08 with a Geartronic AW55-51. I would just opt to use the manual shift option except that the switch broke and I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet. 122k on the clock, mostly highway miles and gentle driving.

Any ideas? This really sucks right now.

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum subsection- didn't see anywhere else where it fit.

03cobra 87GN

Established Member
Sorry to here about your luck. Are you on swedespeed? It's a good volvo forum i got alot of help when i had my v70R.

I know those cars the electronics are all linked. My first thought is check battery volts, than maybe some sensor or module. I had my guage module go and my car went all funky, locked it self in 2nd gear felt like i was dragging an anchor.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

CV355

_
Established Member
I'm not on Swedespeed- I'll go check it out.

Last thing I need right now is the thing to crap out on us.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
hope it gets better but why won't you dd the gt500? is it made of gold?

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
DD the GT500. Seriously. They build them for you to drive them. Its probably more reliable at 100k miles than your Volvo was when new.

As for the Volvo, unplug the battery for a while and see if it clears up the adaptive strategy. Those learning procedures are a nightmare and cause all kinds of hesitations, clunking and "hunting" for gears. Ford has some of the same issues with its own version of the adaptive learning.

Another could be valve body wear or fluid that is beyond its service life causing pressure loss, especially if it relies on the TCM for pressure changes. They were the "sealed for life" style transmissions that were a pain. If you have never flushed the trans fluid it could help to get some new fluid in there.

CV355

_
Established Member
I will try the memory-clear trick for sure.

I don't DD the GT500 because traffic around here is absolutely horrendous, and most of the roads are all torn up in this area. I only drive it on clear days and on open roads with no construction.

Users who are viewing this thread