Anyone race open wheel cars?

blk02edge

Established Member
Curious if any of you do it or have done it. I Just spent two sessions in my buddy's van diemen FF (40min total) and my god what an easy way to make a viper feel like a dull boring brick.. needless to say cars with fenders are no longer a thing of my interests on track days haha. Next step for me to try in the spring is a full aero formula BMW but I plan to buy my own formula Ford as the learning curve is severely different from a "regular" car.
20171028_150834.jpg

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Nice! I haven't had the chance yet but would love to at least get a couple sessions in a FF car

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I bet it was a blast! I've seen some listed in Sportscar magazine, they seem fairly affordable.

Coiled03

Established Member
Been to a couple open-wheel race schools, and yeah, they make any "normal" road going car feel pretty damn unresponsive. If I could do it again, I would. Alas, funds don't allow.

blk02edge

Established Member
Looks like an absolute blast! What kind of speeds did you get up to?
Right around 125mph on our back straight and the overall lap times of that day were the same as a 458 ferrari. Not bad for 120hp haha
I bet it was a blast! I've seen some listed in Sportscar magazine, they seem fairly affordable.
Yea seem to be the 10k-20k range

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
I used to race champion open wheels and half bodied sprints/karts.

Nothing more exciting than having someone get picked up by your back tire and watch them get launched over the side of your kart/car/sprint.

But I love open wheel racing.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
I used to race 125cc shifter karts in sonoma and laguna. My brother and I had two karts at one point. We got out of the sport and trying to get into a Stohr WF1. But those are 100k brand new, used ones can go from 25k-70k.
They're faster than a Radical too!

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Never open wheel. I'll admit, I don't like them because any time I see one run at a track day it's built by a guy in his garage and runs like absolute dog shit.

I'd probably really enjoy a well sorted open wheel car though, assuming my fat ass could fit in one.

blk02edge

Established Member
Never open wheel. I'll admit, I don't like them because any time I see one run at a track day it's built by a guy in his garage and runs like absolute dog shit.

I'd probably really enjoy a well sorted open wheel car though, assuming my fat ass could fit in one.
[/QUOTE]
The three my buddy's have all run mint but they are definitely intimidating being squeezed into a sardin can. I am too tall for the one I was driving. Pedal control wasn't easy
20171028_143856.jpg

It's a miracle I was able to fit lol
20171028_143721.jpg

blk02edge

Established Member
I would love to get into one, hell even a miata would be fun to go and beat on on the track.
My dad will be driving spec miatas, tons of dudes hanging up the keys to their McLaren's in favour of them haha

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Miata's are the butt of the car world but all the fastest drivers seem to love them.

I want to get one and master it. I was talking to Nick about it, I feel like if you can run mid-front pack in a Miata, you're a fast driver. They don't have the power to let you make mistakes. You absolutely have to hit everything perfect every single time.

blk02edge

Established Member
Yea they're gay looking but you get over it real quick when you don't have to pay retarded money on maintinence or worry about a bumper tap

Blown 89

Established Member
I race a 125cc shifter kart. They're considerably more brutal and turn faster lap times on medium sized tracks. Guys in expensive cars tend to scoff at the karts off as kid's toys but they're a hell of a lot faster and a lot more exhilarating. An MP41C was seeing exit speeds of 30-35 mph on a corner near the pits at a local track.....I come out of the same corner at 70 mph.

Open wheel cars and karts are the way to go IMO.

IMG_20171029_114158.jpg

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I think my boss is about to have a mental breakdown. She needs me to do too much still. I can't finish all of it.

Customers are asking to have a teleconference with me today about who knows what.

She's trying to isolate me so no one interrupts me.

blk02edge

Established Member
I race a 125cc shifter kart. They're considerably more brutal and turn faster lap times on medium sized tracks. Guys in expensive cars tend to scoff at the karts off as kid's toys but they're a hell of a lot faster and a lot more exhilarating. An MP41C was seeing exit speeds of 30-35 mph on a corner near the pits at a local track.....I come out of the same corner at 70 mph.

Open wheel cars and karts are the way to go IMO.

View attachment 1443575
I can not wait to try one, we have a mini version of our track being built on site for pro level karting.

Users who are viewing this thread