Anything over CQuartz

oneof185

Established Member
wanted to get a little advice as I'm planning on detailing the Cobra this winter, inside as I'm in the Midwest, it's getting cold.

Anyway, I bought my cobra in August and unfortunately due to health issues, I wasn't able to even hand wash it all summer. I only drove it around 600 miles. The owner says it has 3 coats of cquartz and it looked pretty nice as far as no swirls etc. However, I only sprayed it off a couple times. Now that it's in the garage, I plan on removing wheels, cleaning them, sealing etc. as well as fender well cleaning and the whole deal. My thoughts on paint are to just wash it with waterless. My question is, I'm guessing I should do the baggies test and if smooth, do I just leave it or should I put some wax or sealant on it. I'm going to just plug the trickle charger on it and cover it until spring once detailed.

I also have a 2015 Ecoboost that I only sprayed off a couple times all summer but had previously before last winter, corrected, sealed and waxed. So I'm thinking of waterless washing it too and then using nanoskin then seal and wax again.

Neither car is very dirty as the ecoboost isn't driven much either, maybe 1000 miles all summer. Is waterless wash good enough before taking nanoskin to it and should I do the same with the cobra or leave it? Not sure how easy cquartz will even remove if there are three layers as said. I know without seeing the cars one can't give me guidance on correcting or not but they are both good unless I swirl them using waterless wash, lol.

I have a ton of wax and sealants but am getting ready to order some items and just curious on opinions of detains without a good hand wash and then of course suggestions on if anything is needed on top of cquartz....will it look any better or am I wasting time? I've used jetseal before but no cquartz.

Merlinii

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
Established Member
oneof185 said:
The owner says it has 3 coats of cquartz and it looked pretty nice as far as no swirls etc...

My thoughts on paint are to just wash it with waterless.
My question is, I'm guessing I should do the baggies test and if smooth,
do I just leave it or should I put some wax or sealant on it.

How long ago was the CQuartz applied?
You should not "clay" coated paint.
IronX Snow soap can be used to Wash/Decon a coating
You should not put a wax or sealant on top of a coating.

Wash clean and apply Reload or if you're itching...apply Carpro Gliss

oneof185

Established Member
How long ago was the CQuartz applied?
You should not "clay" coated paint.
IronX Snow soap can be used to Wash/Decon a coating
You should not put a wax or sealant on top of a coating.

Wash clean and apply Reload or if you're itching...apply Carpro Gliss

Supposedly this year, I just never had a chance to hand wash and see truly cleaned after it was transported. So I'll leave for now. I appreciate you informing me not to clay and I'll do some research on reload and carpro Gliss. I'll re-evaluate in spring if I want to Wash/decon it...Thanks!

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I use RELOAD on my truck that has been professionally done with Cquartz Finest after every other wash, even though I could go longer without using the Reload.
I'm coming up on year 2 with the coating. I'll more than likely get it coated again in 2019. It looks so bright and glossy when cleaned. It's expensive, but it's so worth it.
It's a lot of work and the product cost is about 250 bucks to do the truck. Plus, Cquartz Finest cannot be applied unless it's by a certified or approved detail shop.

Users who are viewing this thread