ARB vs. Sway Bar

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
I am looking for some feedback from anyone who has experience with ARBs and Sway Bars. The car in question is my 13 GT which will have a TVS kit making roughly 600-650 wheel, even in the future the car will never make more than 750. My car is a true street car that I mainly cruise in and take the kids for rides in around town. With that said I do prefer straight line racing and the car will see a few trips to the track a year. When cruising around town I dont really care for cornering ability I just want to keep the car riding smooth.

I know many people have ARBs installed on their street cars, but how does these cars perform and most importantly how do they ride? I know the ARB is the best solution for straight line alone but I am focused on comfort first, then functionality! I have read several people saying the Whiteline rear sway bar is the best bang for the buck and I am kinda leaning towards this piece. Its adjustable and many folks have been in the 1.3 range with them. However, if the ARBs do not really sacrifice any driveability then the ARB could be the best way to move forward. Looking forward to everyone responses.

Leonard

stang910

Established Member
An ARB will dramatically change your driveability and ride unless you have mostly straight smooth roads. Driving straight on a fairly smooth road you'll never know it's there, but in curves or bumpy roads you'll notice it more in a negative way than any other suspension mod.

I was looking at ARB's as well and drove a friends car that had one (UPR) which wasn't terrible, but I didn't think it was appropriate for a street car. I'm sure some will disagree because it is streetable, but that's my opinion. I went with a BMR sway bar which I feel is a good compromise although I wouldn't mind it being even more stiff.

bunits19714

Established Member
white line- been 1.3's with it and works extremely well with no front sway bar & no need for relo brackets if your running 15" rears,- car is stable @ 170+ (1/2 mile) Will be way more forgiving on a low profile 18,19 or 20 inch radial where you have almost no side wall flex on the street. BMR makes a nice unit as well that is fully adj. just a few more $. There have been many 1.2 tvs cars with stock rear sway bar as well- I just couldn't stand the hookie relo brackets for the sway bar when running a 15" wheel.

paulyboy928

Established Member
I just put a WL rear sway bay myself. Can't say enough good things about it thus far. However, I can't say much on an ARB

chris_302

Established Member
Different terms, same function. Anti roll bars aren't just for straight line, they are heavily used for road racing. Comfort all depends on how stiff they are, i'm using an 18mm rear bar, sometimes 22 depending on how the track is.

clinton2003

Established Member
Different terms, same function. Anti roll bars aren't just for straight line, they are heavily used for road racing. Comfort all depends on how stiff they are, i'm using an 18mm rear bar, sometimes 22 depending on how the track is.

Think you may be getting a heavy sway bar mixed up with an anti roll bar....
a heavy sway bar still allows some body roll.
a anti roll bar does what its name implies, does not allow body roll.

sway bar =/= anti roll bar

OP to actually answer your question, the ARB is a total different on the street. I do not recommend it if its spending most of its time on the street, or if you do, disconnect a link. and run with nothing... will get body roll, but ride will be 1,000x better than with arb hooked up.

whats nice is the one i posted is bolt in and you can easily swap them out for winter or times you will not be going to the drag strip for extended periods.

chris_302

Established Member
Think you may be getting a heavy sway bar mixed up with an anti roll bar....
a heavy sway bar still allows some body roll.
a anti roll bar does what its name implies, does not allow body roll.

sway bar =/= anti roll bar

OP to actually answer your question, the ARB is a total different on the street. I do not recommend it if its spending most of its time on the street, or if you do, disconnect a link. and run with nothing... will get body roll, but ride will be 1,000x better than with arb hooked up.

whats nice is the one i posted is bolt in and you can easily swap them out for winter or times you will not be going to the drag strip for extended periods.
Never heard of a Heavy sway bar before, and i've gone through a couple.

BTW i do not recommend driving without one, you will have a
really soft rear end.

Anti-roll bar, roll bar, anti-sway bar, sway bar, stabilizer bar are all the same part and serve one function, to reduce body roll. All bars are bolt in and are easily swapped when needed. I lift my front wheel(s) in order to overload the other with understeer.

Last edited:

WIST2013GT

Established Member
white line- been 1.3's with it and works extremely well with no front sway bar & no need for relo brackets if your running 15" rears,- car is stable @ 170+ (1/2 mile) Will be way more forgiving on a low profile 18,19 or 20 inch radial where you have almost no side wall flex on the street. BMR makes a nice unit as well that is fully adj. just a few more $. There have been many 1.2 tvs cars with stock rear sway bar as well- I just couldn't stand the hookie relo brackets for the sway bar when running a 15" wheel.

What settings do you run with the Whiteline RSB (which holes)?

clinton2003

Established Member
Never heard of a Heavy sway bar before, and i've gone through a couple.

BTW i do not recommend driving without one, you will have a
really soft rear end.

Anti-roll bar, roll bar, anti-sway bar, sway bar, stabilizer bar are all the same part and serve one function, to reduce body roll. All bars are bolt in and are easily swapped when needed. I lift my front wheel(s) in order to overload the other with understeer.

heavy, thicker, stiffer, whatever you wanna call it. a sway bar still allows some body roll, depending on how thick the material is. the Anti roll bar tries to allow the least possible. (why there is more bracing and no poly ends etc.) many autox cars will go with a thicker/heavier (22mm) sway bar for less body roll to attempt to be able to keep traction longer. vs a thinner/lighter one (say 18mm) for more stock like driving, which gives more comfort while driving around.

OP you'd probably be best off getting a heavy/thicker sway bar so that you will keep some driveability but still have less body roll than your current sway bar.

Users who are viewing this thread