Are we going to see an Automatic GT350?

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
I have no idea what to expect from Ford on any future GT350 or GT500 models. However, I can tell you that only about 5% of all private consumer automobiles sold in the US have a manual transmission. Something else to consider, in 2014, the car tech news rags/blogs swore the 2016 GT350 was going to have an auto... but 3 years later the 2017's are out, and still no auto.

When it comes to racing "street cars" on the track or even commuting to work, stick or auto is 100% personal preference. However, when it comes to racing with a dedicated car... the faster and more powerful a car becomes, the more performance gets hindered by a manual trans. It is simply impossible for a human to work a clutch system and shift gears as fast as a computer can.

My advice... buy whatever you like and enjoy it. Everything else is white noise.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I have no idea what to expect from Ford on any future GT350 or GT500 models. However, I can tell you that only about 5% of all private consumer automobiles sold in the US have a manual transmission.

That's probably because auto enthusiast "purists" comprise only about 5% of all new car consumers.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Our sources need to talk, because they're on different pages. I'm not sure who's yours is, but if mine is on the wrong page, Ford is gonna have issues.

Looks like my contacts weren't bullshitting.

A hybrid version of the iconic Mustang that will deliver V8 power and even more low-end torque. The Mustang Hybrid, built at the Flat Rock Plant, debuts in 2020 and will be available in the North America to start
https://media.ford.com/content/ford...lectrified-f-150-mustang-transit-by-2020.html

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Hm. Very odd.

It's an exciting time to be a car enthusiast.

Odd but true.:)

Interesting mixed signals being sent from the top.

MT said:
“I’m sure somebody could find a way to fit a twin-turbo into a Mustang, but we’re pretty happy with the 5.2 V-8 we’ve got in the 350 now,” Nair said. “It’s quite an engine.” He disputed the idea that the engine has reached its horsepower limit and cannot compete with the Camaro ZL1. “You know what they say about internal combustion engines—that they are always at the end of what they can do—and somehow we always find a way to do a little bit more. I think we still have a little bit more life in that engine.
Life, as in leaving it untouched but continuing production for some time? Or life as in room for the engine to grow in terms of power output?

http://www.motortrend.com/news/12-things-learned-chat-fords-mark-fields-raj-nair/

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member

geepaw

Heck yes I did it!
Established Member
If a person wants a car simply as an appliance, they buy an automatic. If a person simply wants to get fast times at a drag strip, they get an automatic. If a person actually enjoys driving and wants to be ENGAGED in the driving experience, they get a manual. On a circuit track, the time difference between DSG and traditional manual equipped cars is negligible, at best.

DSG transmissions (on a circuit track) were born more out of the need for consistency and to battle fatigue during endurance races, not because they make a car "faster" around the track. A well driven manual can be every bit as fast around a track.

I could'nt agree with you more. The whole driving experience is just less involved. I think Mfgr's full throttle shifting and rev matching manuals are almost as bad.

I'm old school though...learned to drive on a manual and all 6 cars/trucks I have bought over the years that I drive are manuals.

39Mustang

Established Member
Some of you still don't get the point with your uneducated responses like lazy drivers and such. I'll tell you a story then give your answer again to an Automatic in a GT350 or GT500. U.S. soldier does 3 tours in Iraq and Afgan. and is done and ready to retire but they need the experienced combat soldiers so he volunteers for a 4th tour but this time has both legs blown off my an IED yet he still doesn't give up. After retiring his dream car was a Shelby GT500 but now can't get one because no Automatic offered. Is an Automatic a girls car or non sports car or lazy driver, really c'mon think before you say certain things and no he isn't the only one. GM, Dodge, and others offer their top sports cars with Automatics so its time Ford does without the excuses

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Ever heard of Liam Dwyer? He's a Marine who lost his leg in combat.

imsa-scc-lime-rock-2014-ctscc-st-class-podium-race-winners-liam-dwyer-tom-long-second-pla.jpg

He drives a race car with a manual transmission. Notice that he's standing on the podium. Also notice which podium he's standing on.

Try again.

oldbmwfan

Established Member
To be fair, not all such injuries are created equal. However when Zanardi had his debilitating crash, manufacturers retrofit cars specifically for him. I could see a one-off being done for such a case, but asking Ford to change the business case and engineering of an entire platform on the off chance that a few people want one who physically can't drive an auto is a bit of a stretch.

They'll do it if their goal is to maximize sales volumes; they won't do it if their goal is to maintain a purist image.

Users who are viewing this thread