Belt replacement question. Continental elite the new gatorback?

SBVERT03

Established Member
Hey guys,

I started to get a terrible squeaking recently coming from the belt/pulley area. I put some water on the belt and the squeaking goes away for a bit before coming back, so I figured I should replace the belt. After doing some research it seems the Goodyear gatorback is the belt of choice on the forum, but I was noticed after a quick google search that they've been rebranded as continental elite belts. Has anybody purchased one of these belts?

Also, the belt currently on the car is a Napa 25-080745. Based on the part number I was thinking the belt would be 74.5" in length, but online it says 75". Would this be the correct length continental belt to replace it?

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/ce...ts-and-hoses&gclid=CLaWovnh8dICFR22wAodHeQCqw

Or would you follow the part number and get this belt?

https://www.amazon.com/Continental-Elite-4080745-Poly-V-Serpentine/dp/B000EIACE2

Thanks guys!

MG0h3

Established Member
Unless you are super tight a 1/2" shouldnt make the belt unusable. However I did notice the discrepancy in PN vs actual length with the Gates belts and went off actual sizes when I switched to Gatorback.

The 75" gator is probably the best bet.

You were careful to just wet the supercharger belt and not the inner?

SBVERT03

Established Member
Unless you are super tight a 1/2" shouldnt make the belt unusable. However I did notice the discrepancy in PN vs actual length with the Gates belts and went off actual sizes when I switched to Gatorback.

The 75" gator is probably the best bet.

You were careful to just wet the supercharger belt and not the inner?

I believe so. I just used a spray bottle and squirted the belt up near the upper supercharger pulley.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
I just tried a new continental elite belt. My belt still slips ☹️

Doesn't make any chirps or squeals. It does however make a slight whistle when accelerating that you can barely hear. Kinda cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigmoose

Established Member
I never had good luck with the gatorback. While quiet it would slip. I run a gates HD belt with no slipping. After a short while they tend to chirp but that is easily fixed. The back of the belt has a shiny glaze in it. I just lightly scuffed the back to remove the shine with sandpaper and it's been silent since.

matth121

Established Member
I never had good luck with the gatorback. While quiet it would slip. I run a gates HD belt with no slipping. After a short while they tend to chirp but that is easily fixed. The back of the belt has a shiny glaze in it. I just lightly scuffed the back to remove the shine with sandpaper and it's been silent since.

Just wanted to thank you for this tip- thought i needed a snout rebuild. Same napa belt as the OP maybe 2 seasons old- scuffed off the sheen and it's 90% gone only hear it on hard deccel after getting on it now which is great- that belt is $92 CAD FFS!
belt.jpg

fishpick

Established Member
Try the Gates RPM - but read the post here I made about how to tension them! They don't slip at all for me - and the supercharger makers are slowly switching to them in their kits - they are pretty stout - but again - make sure you tension them differently! Their marketing geniuses don't put ANYTHING on the package about the tensioning procedure.

bigmoose

Established Member
Just wanted to thank you for this tip- thought i needed a snout rebuild. Same napa belt as the OP maybe 2 seasons old- scuffed off the sheen and it's 90% gone only hear it on hard deccel after getting on it now which is great- that belt is $92 CAD FFS!
View attachment 93030
Awesome!! Finally someone who took this advice. Mine was 90% gone after the first go around. I took it off and saw a few small spots I missed and did another quick once over and no sound since.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread