Best clutch for 600rwhp Terminator

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Search engine is great but want the latest and greatest. What is the best clutch I can get for 04 cobra with a KenneBell running 600rwhp. Best place to get it also. New motor going in so taking advantage of the install. Thanks in advance-Shane

BAFRAID

VERY AFRAID
Established Member
SPEC III+ with the SPEC aluminum flywheel (basically a Fidanza). I've got those in mine running 600+ to the wheels and it hasn't skipped a beat. It's a little aggressive though so be prepared. Best place to get it is probably from SPEC, they usually have some sort of special going on them. Good luck!!!

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
why not a steel flywheel. don't aluminum flywheels slip more than steel ones??

BAFRAID

VERY AFRAID
Established Member
The SPEC flywheel (and all aluminum flywheels, I think) actually have a replaceable steel friction plate. The contact plate is steel while the majority of the flywheel is aluminum with Iron teeth.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Hey dude I've been running the Centerforce DF clutch for awhile now and really like it. It's held up to quite a few passes at the track with me spraying right out of the hole. It's a lighter pedal feel than stock but will hold the power you need. Another option is the DFX, it's a great clutch and will hold the power. The only downside is it's a puck disk clutch so it's on or off, there is no slipping it.

vr4

Established Member
why not a steel flywheel. don't aluminum flywheels slip more than steel ones??

the stock FW is aluminum.;-)

as has been said. aluminum FWs hae steel faces for the friction suface. if they didnt they would last about a month before the clutch destroyed the fw.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
didn't know that. i see both steel and aluminum ones for sale by lethal, i guess i'll go with aluminum when i change out my clutch. thanks for the info

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
the stock FW is aluminum.;-)

as has been said. aluminum FWs hae steel faces for the friction suface. if they didnt they would last about a month before the clutch destroyed the fw.

Exactly, and the nice thing about the Fidenza flywheel it all you need when you do a clutch swap is to buy those little inserts for like $75 and it's as good as new....

tjs98gt

Established Member
im running the dfx, like it a lot. ill see how it holds up when i up the boost but if it doesnt hold ill be switching to a spec 3+

BAFRAID

VERY AFRAID
Established Member
OH SNAP!!! DONT, I repeat, DO NOT use the SPEC throw out bearing if you go with SPEC!!! Their throw out bearings are pieces of shit, I always buy an FRPP throw out bearing when I need to replace one. FWIW....

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
stock input shaft are 10 spline. 26 spline inputs are significantly stronger.

So you can take out the 10 and put in the 26 or is there other items that mate up that also need to be upgrade to 26? Like shafts in the rear being upgraded is what I thinking. You upgrade the shafts to 31s so you have to upgrade the pumkin as well to take it. Thanks-Shane

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
So you can take out the 10 and put in the 26 or is there other items that mate up that also need to be upgrade to 26? Like shafts in the rear being upgraded is what I thinking. You upgrade the shafts to 31s so you have to upgrade the pumkin as well to take it. Thanks-Shane

You're going to need to clutch kit that goes along with the 26 spline input shaft, but that's it.

Trick Pony

Stang Addict
Established Member
I'm a big fan of the twin disc clutches for pedal effort and power handling. I'm going with the McLeod Street Twin in my car. I don't like the price so much though - $1200 just for the clutch.

vr4

Established Member

since 01 cobras already had 31 spline halfshafts.

for a 26 spline input you need the shaft, bearings, and clutch disc.

QUICKRNU

Established Member
DFX 26 spline thumbs up.

Now that the breakin period is over & the chatter has subsided it feels great. Pedal effort is stiffer than stock but stock won't handle 600 hp very long. Also get the Fiore set up & a steeda pedal height adj. Only drawback can't slip clutch anymore...

Users who are viewing this thread