Best radio plug n play for 99 cobra Bluetooth aux etc

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
It’s time I dump the tape player and get a radio w all today’s functions. I see radios are cheap these days on eBay new w Bluetooth, aux etc. which is best to plug n play w minimal hassle tidy sounds good w the Mach460? Links please. thanks

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

01yellercobra

Established Member
I think best is going to be relative. What options you want and budget will be the deciding factors. Like my car came with a Pioneer touch screen and I wasn't a fan. I now have a Kenwood Excelon with blue tooth and really like it. I also have the hands free which works really well surprisingly given my exhaust.

Order it from Crutchfield and it'll come with all the needed adapters.

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
I think best is going to be relative. What options you want and budget will be the deciding factors. Like my car came with a Pioneer touch screen and I wasn't a fan. I now have a Kenwood Excelon with blue tooth and really like it. I also have the hands free which works really well surprisingly given my exhaust.

Order it from Crutchfield and it'll come with all the needed adapters.

What a great site it gives u everything u need to install w instructions and fair priced. Now I just need to decide which one. I want Bluetooth/aux/usb w solid am/fm radio no breakup as I see w reviews that’s a issue w these radios. Any suggestions guys?

01yellercobra

Established Member
I don't have any issues with the am/fm with my head unit. And I have a short antenna as well.

I'm normally a big fan of Pioneer, but the price on the Kenwood was really good. My son has the single DIN Kenwood in his 98 and I don't think he has am/fm issues. But I don't know how much he listens to the radio. The model I have has AUX input and USB in front. Then another USB port that's corded in the back. I have the corded one running to the glove box where my ipod is hooked up. Along with the Bluetooth and hands free. And a big volume knob in the center to crank up the music when cruising down the freeway.

Snk-Byet01

Established Member
I'm a cheap azz. Several years ago I got one of the USA Spec units from Crutchfield. Two inputs that I used for a Sirius Replay and iPod. It came with a wiring harness and etc. That was all I needed to hook up to my Mach 460. The 460 had DJ play. You select CD #6 or #7 for your input. (It could be 7 - 8, I forget).
For what you are looking for, Crutchfield is the way to go. Great support and instructions and a whole lot of options.

Edit: I also hooked up the one wire for VSS or whatever the acronym is. It adjusts the Mach 460 volume depending on your MPH. It works okay, not great, but okay.

Last edited:

52merc

Established Member
I really like my Pioneer AVIC-8100NEC. It's full featured and I got a good price on Amazon. Might be a little too much money, not knowing your budget. I had problems with my receiver and one amp, so I gutted the old 460 and installed a complete new system.

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
What if I went w a nice flat screen radio to take out both my tape player and CD player? I’m debating that now. Does crutchfield make that setup w everything I’d need also or where would be best to get that?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

01yellercobra

Established Member
What if I went w a nice flat screen radio to take out both my tape player and CD player? I’m debating that now. Does crutchfield make that setup w everything I’d need also or where would be best to get that?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Are you talking about a touch screen set up or a tablet? There are quite a few touch screen radios available. My original Pioneer was a touch screen. I just wasn't a fan of the lay out. And I prefer having a volume knob over buttons.

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
Are you talking about a touch screen set up or a tablet? There are quite a few touch screen radios available. My original Pioneer was a touch screen. I just wasn't a fan of the lay out. And I prefer having a volume knob over buttons.

Touch screen radio yes to eliminate both radios my car has yes. So was looking into that also

01yellercobra

Established Member
I forgot the 99's have the two separate head units. You'll have to change over to the 01+ console and bezel. I know people have done it, but I don't know how much work is needed. I think you have to remove a couple of braces. Maybe a flip out touch screen would be your best and easiest way to go.

52merc

Established Member
Searching this site for double din conversion will result in several threads discussing what it takes. Also a google search of mustang double din conversion should return several threads on other forums that also discuss the conversion. Actually how you end up doing your conversion will likely depend on how much involved you want to get. You need to use the bezel from an 01-04.

If it were me, I would see if the radio mounting rails from the 01-04 could be swapped into the 99. If possible, this would make for a much cleaner and stronger install. I just don't like the idea of riveting and/or gluing the Metra adapter to the bezel. If you get parts from a 01-04 then you could get the bezel and switches as well. If not, LMR sells brand new Ford bezels (at $139.99 I think they're a little pricey).

The Metra adapter (P/N 95-5026) looks good after it is installed, but it is just plastic, including the radio mounting bracket. The electrical adapters are straight forward. The Crutchfield website will tell you what you need. If you are keeping the Mach 460 amps and speakers you will also need the Metra 50-5071 and AFDI-5V wiring kits. If you are handy with a soldering gun and don't mind doing some wiring, then you can just make up the adapter harness yourself. The Metra instructions are pretty straight forward, and your new receiver should be well marked as to what the wires are used for.

Although the Crutchfield website was good for gathering information, I found much better prices (at least for what I bought) on Amazon.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
I just put a single DIN deck in and a Panavise hardmount/tipper and phone holder to hold my phone up alongside the leftside of the HVAC as my "touchscreen".

I'll get pics of it when I get home. The headunit was $90 or so on Amazon, Pioneer unit, BT, microphone for calls, front USB, Aux, lots of options. No CD player but its not 2007 anymore and I don't think I've owned an audio CD since that time period anyway...

Just remember with the Mach it's not 100% plug and play for an aftermarket headunit like it is for other stuff. You need the 5v resistor like always for the amp turn on wire so you don't pop the speakers every time you turn the radio on. As far as the speakers, the early 01-down cars the best way to wire them in is via the RCA outs on your new headunit.

No need for a touchscreen IMO when everyone has a 5-6" screen in their pocket these days anyway and almost everyone has or could really benefit from a solid phone mount in their car so that knocks out both those birds with one stone. Single DIN units are much MUCH more affordable as well. Plus then you can delete the bottom stock radio with the OEM Ford pocket which is a great place to put your wallet or whatever.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Here's the ones I have saved. The harness in the pic is how the speakers are wired. The power harness is normal Mach setup. Will have to get pics of the mount setup later.
d24521a2e0fa99f81985ce66b233b77b.jpg
66124ce38c1725545ad3df607e39f6bd.jpg

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
Here's the ones I have saved. The harness in the pic is how the speakers are wired. The power harness is normal Mach setup. Will have to get pics of the mount setup later. View attachment 1499149View attachment 1499150

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

Ty guys for all the replies and I went w single din kenwood radio and I purchased following:

Kenwood KDC-X302
PAC Audio ROEM-FRD1
Dash Kit/Universal din pocket

Seems this should be solid! Thanks guys for advice

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
If you are looking for a double DIN install info, I posted a how-to thread in the sn95 section back in October.
Edit: nevermind

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Ty guys for all the replies and I went w single din kenwood radio and I purchased following:

Kenwood KDC-X302
PAC Audio ROEM-FRD1
Dash Kit/Universal din pocket

Seems this should be solid! Thanks guys for advice

Just make sure for the Mach setup to wire it up like the RCA picture I have or you'll have to use the Scoshe line level converter if you are just doing it wire to wire. The Mach amps are wonky and the HU can handle them through RCA but not through the wires.

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
Just make sure for the Mach setup to wire it up like the RCA picture I have or you'll have to use the Scoshe line level converter if you are just doing it wire to wire. The Mach amps are wonky and the HU can handle them through RCA but not through the wires.

Quick ques guys I got my kenwood radio installed w the new interface pac adapter roem-frd1 . Now the installer gave me the radio back obviously but was there also a wiring harness OEM factory that was also taken out or was that used within the install?

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Your installer is an idiot if he used that adapter in place of the RCAs. That headunit you listed has front, rear and sub RCA outs. The CORRECT way to wire in a Mach without having to use any converters with gain set screws or anything is to use the RCA outs. I mean it will WORK, but its not the best way to do it and you probably got charged more for that component than you would for him to wire in a $5 set of RCAs.

Refer to the picture in post #13 I made. THAT is what should have been used in place of that "converter" that was the way people adapted to the Mach systems like 10-15 years ago when headunits only came with RCA outs for the sub or none at all.

Hopefully this guy at least wired in the correct amp turn on adapter so your shit doesn't pop everytime you turn it on.

As far as leftover harnesses and whatnot for your stock stuff. You will wind up with unused plugs yes, they might have been unused in the first place as Ford uses the same harness for all cars to simplify things and save money.

52merc

Established Member
In all the research I did before replacing my Mach 460 I never saw anyone using this adapter. Man, I didn't even know it existed before now. Most people just use the harness adapter kit from Metra or make their own.

Users who are viewing this thread