Best radio plug n play for 99 cobra Bluetooth aux etc

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
In all the research I did before replacing my Mach 460 I never saw anyone using this adapter. Man, I didn't even know it existed before now. Most people just use the harness adapter kit from Metra or make their own.

This adapter maintains the sounds of the Mach 460 and doesn’t compromise the sound. N I did do extensive research and using a new adapter from say crutchfield I read reviews and people had issues. I am happy w how it turned out and sounds better then before. I was simply just wondering is there any stock adapter any wiring type harness that they removed to put in this new adapter type hardness is all.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
Your installer is an idiot if he used that adapter in place of the RCAs. That headunit you listed has front, rear and sub RCA outs. The CORRECT way to wire in a Mach without having to use any converters with gain set screws or anything is to use the RCA outs. I mean it will WORK, but its not the best way to do it and you probably got charged more for that component than you would for him to wire in a $5 set of RCAs.

Refer to the picture in post #13 I made. THAT is what should have been used in place of that "converter" that was the way people adapted to the Mach systems like 10-15 years ago when headunits only came with RCA outs for the sub or none at all.

Hopefully this guy at least wired in the correct amp turn on adapter so your shit doesn't pop everytime you turn it on.

As far as leftover harnesses and whatnot for your stock stuff. You will wind up with unused plugs yes, they might have been unused in the first place as Ford uses the same harness for all cars to simplify things and save money.

I think this product was or is semi new and wasn’t around 10-15 years ago and was created to maintain the stock sound or better and it’s a simple plug and play.

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
In all the research I did before replacing my Mach 460 I never saw anyone using this adapter. Man, I didn't even know it existed before now. Most people just use the harness adapter kit from Metra or make their own.

I was about to install the adapter that came with my kit but I did extensive research and even my installer recommended using this part because it maintains the sound much better.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I think this product was or is semi new and wasn’t around 10-15 years ago and was created to maintain the stock sound or better and it’s a simple plug and play.

If you are referring to the PAC harness with the 4 dials on it, that piece has been around for at least 15 years.
I used one on my old 97 GT back in 2003.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Yep I had one that was in my old car as well, the Scoshe one works too. They are called "Lineout Converters". Extremely commonly used in swaps before the RCA outs became commonplace on pretty much all radios. I guess it still is lol. I mean it works... but it is only needed if you are using the grey/green/purple/white wires as your output from the HU. If you use the RCA outs then the HU can "talk" to the Mach amps without needing a gadget like that.

And yes there are issues with the Metra prebuilt unit on Crutchfield, why I just built my own. I got a pigtail for the 8 speaker wires that attaches to the Ford harness and then a $5 RCA audio cable from a local store, cut the ends off and soldered it up and rolled. Positive wire for the RCA is the inside wire, negative is the exposed outer wire. Solder the inside one up, shrinktube it, solder the outside one up an inch or so down the line so the insulation is intact on the inner wire and heatshrink that, then move to the next set and heatshrink them all up in the end. Took me 15 minutes and worked perfectly.

52merc

Established Member
I didn't end up buying much from Crutchfield (too expensive) and made my own adapter harness for the receiver. Since I gutted out the 460 and ran all new speaker and amp wiring I didn't need any other adapters.

I learned something from this thread, and that it what it is all about.

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
Yep I had one that was in my old car as well, the Scoshe one works too. They are called "Lineout Converters". Extremely commonly used in swaps before the RCA outs became commonplace on pretty much all radios. I guess it still is lol. I mean it works... but it is only needed if you are using the grey/green/purple/white wires as your output from the HU. If you use the RCA outs then the HU can "talk" to the Mach amps without needing a gadget like that.

And yes there are issues with the Metra prebuilt unit on Crutchfield, why I just built my own. I got a pigtail for the 8 speaker wires that attaches to the Ford harness and then a $5 RCA audio cable from a local store, cut the ends off and soldered it up and rolled. Positive wire for the RCA is the inside wire, negative is the exposed outer wire. Solder the inside one up, shrinktube it, solder the outside one up an inch or so down the line so the insulation is intact on the inner wire and heatshrink that, then move to the next set and heatshrink them all up in the end. Took me 15 minutes and worked perfectly.

Can also buy them premade on eBay for like seven dollars shipped plug and play

Users who are viewing this thread