Beware Of Road Kill w/ Your GT350s

cbj5259

Established Member
Same thing happened to my wife's old WRX STI splitter (although wasn't nearly that expensive). Insurance classified it as a comprehensive claim so her rates stayed the same.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Sorry to hear about this.... Looks like the GT350 and R parts are $$.... On my Boss I had a small scratch in one of my stripes, the only way to get the OE stripe material (which is reflective) is the Ford set up.... It's five times the price of what other similar vinyl would be.

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
Are you going to file an insurance claim or pay for the repairs out of pocket? What I'm curious about is if you go the insurance route what it'll say on the Carfax... It could ultimately cost way more than $5,500 on your resale value down the road.

speeddemon2000

Established Member
Sorry for your misfortune. I have had the same thing happen to me on a couple of occasions. I ran over a opossum that was hit by the car in front of me. No damage but opossum guts under my car. Second time the car in front of me caused part of the concrete on the freeway to pop up onto the road. That cost me a cat-back and a hole in the rear bumper. Lowered cars are cool but crap in the road can really suck. I try to leave more space to allow me to compensate for stuff like that. Did I say try, sometimes that one is hard.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
So, no thanks for adding your picture?

What-evs.

LOL Thx

I'd be breaking out the JB Weld and pocketing the check.

The thought crossed my mind for about 2 seconds, but they only cut me a preliminary check of $200.10.

Are you going to file an insurance claim or pay for the repairs out of pocket? What I'm curious about is if you go the insurance route what it'll say on the Carfax... It could ultimately cost way more than $5,500 on your resale value down the road.

Insurance claim. I already knew that was going to be a big bill. No way I was gonna pay for it out of pocket since I'm paying for insurance, anyway. Not to mention I've been with Allstate for 15 years. Time for them to pay up!

I'm not worried about resale at all. I don't have any plans to ever sell it. When/if I do, being as rare as it is, it will still fetch a pretty penny.

Op, just switch to Geico.

Thank me later.

Lol....

I had GEICO back in the '90s. I will never use that company again!

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
A lot can change in 20+ years....

All I know is USAA was fisting me, progressive and allstate werent going to be much better... and then Geico came in with a yearly premium that was only about 60% of what the others were asking.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Yeah USAA sucks these days. I used them for years. Their rates inexplicably crept up over time with no incidents on my part. I saved around 1100 dollars a year by switching to Liberty Mutual.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I looked into Liberty Mutual before. IIRC, they're a subsidiary of Allstate, so I wasn't able to get reduced rates from them when I checked.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
The cost to fix is not really the cost. It is full blown retail on parts + mark ups for work.

I can only see your plastic damage picture, nothing of oil cooler or paint? I thought the plastic splitter was supposed to save money vs paint or carbon fiber.

FYI, I found a totaled GT350 on a salvage site a few weeks after they came out. lol.

NasteeNate

2V Warrior
Established Member
Sorry to see the damage on your sweet GT350R. This is just a general statement but, "everyone wants a cobra until they have to fix it." I know you will get it fixed properly but now I see why cars like these turn to instant collectors items. Its very risky driving them on the road. GL with the fix.

2000gt4.6

Established Member
A lot can change in 20+ years....

All I know is USAA was fisting me, progressive and allstate werent going to be much better... and then Geico came in with a yearly premium that was only about 60% of what the others were asking.

I'm convinced when you call for a quote, after entering all your info and getting a price , they spin a wheel of fortune style clicker wheel with 1 thru 10 and multiply your rate by that.

Seems to be no logic to insurance prices. One company that's the cheapest to you might be the most expensive to your friend who's the same age with similar cars etc.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
The cost to fix is not really the cost. It is full blown retail on parts + mark ups for work.

I can only see your plastic damage picture, nothing of oil cooler or paint? I thought the plastic splitter was supposed to save money vs paint or carbon fiber.

FYI, I found a totaled GT350 on a salvage site a few weeks after they came out. lol.

I didn't even see the oil cooler damage. They told me about it after they pulled it all apart. It probably wasn't actually damage, just had some bent fins. I didn't have any oil leaks. There was zero damage to the paint work. A couple of the notches that the splitter locks into were broken, so they had to replace the entire fascia. I would've been fine with them just Bondo-ing the notches back together.

But, it's all fixed and back in the garage now, so I'm happy.

Users who are viewing this thread