EditorTurner

Established Member
1-Big-Bore-Modular-Short-Block.jpg

The Big Boss
Replace your worn out 4.6 with a robust, 5.3-liter modular short-block
By Steve Turner
Photos courtesy of Ford Performance

If you own a 1996+ Mustang or other modular-powered Ford, you might be ready for a fresh engine. Or, perhaps, you just want to crank up the performance with more displacement and stouter internals? Well, if you need a rugged, big-bore short-block to refresh your project car, Ford Performance Parts has one ready to bolt in—the B53 Modular Stroker Short-Block (PN M-6009-B53; $6,800).

“Ford Performance engineers have taken care of the toughest part of building a new engine by designing a strong and durable short-block that offers a wide range of power possibilities,” says the company. “Ford Performance uses only the best parts, starting with its Boss Modular block, and adding forged Eagle steel crankshaft, forged Eagle H-beam connecting rods with floating piston pins, and forged Mahle pistons. Bored and stroked to 5.3 liters, this short-block is precision internal-balanced and ready to be finished to your specific application."

The Boss block (PN M-6010-BOSS50; $1,950) allows for a 3.701-inch bore x 3.750-inch stroke to achieve that 5.3-liter displacement. Meanwhile the aforementioned Eagle rods clock in at 5.850 inches and they are fitted with ARP 2000 fasteners for maximum durability. Perhaps the best features of the engine are the forged Mahle pistons, which are designed to work with Two-, Three- or Four-Valve cylinder heads.

So you can drop this short-block in with your heads, cams and timing sets and your car will be back on the road with big-bore power.

0-Big-Bore-Modular-Short-Block-Featured.jpg

If you need a fresh engine for your modular-powered project, Ford Performance Parts now offers its B53 Modular Stroker Short-Block. It is built with robust gear and offers a displacement of 5.3 liters.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Same, Travis. I wonder why they would even bother with an iron block knowing weight savings is such a big issue now. Plus all the recent GT500 blocks have been aluminum.

Users who are viewing this thread