Boss 302 opinion

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Cheap Chinese transmission kill the car. IMO.

Tranny was not the issue.

Put a good dual disc clutch in the car and the trans blocking issues go bye bye... The clutch is the problem. True the trans is not as strong as the Tremecs for those wanting to add boost. But for Na use the tighter gear ratios are better suited the Roadrunner powerband.

Yep. Shaun told me from day one, it will pull to 8k all day but you won't be able to shift it unless you upgrade the clutch.

KBBoss302

Established Member
OP - the Bosses are perfectly imperfect! Some great comments already.

I have a 2013LS (and had a Kona Blue 12 first) and if I were lucky enough to buy another one, the first things I would do would be new clutch (RST fixed my shifting issues), better tires (the PZeros are horrendous), Watts link, and better dampers. Oh, and I do love my AED tune, too, especially now that I can finally shift at high rpm.

If you want 'perfect', there are other options. But if you want something that makes you smile just backing out of the garage and then gets your heart racing when you hammer on it, the Boss is it.

boss302_999

2012 BOSS 302
Established Member
Not perfect for these reasons
1) Clutch lock out. My Boss OEM clutch has terrible clutch out, worse then my two other coyote mustangs by a massive factor.
2)Shocks. All OEM Mustang shocks suck, the regular Boss is no different. They are a step in the right direction over GT shocks but a set of Bilstein monotubes will ride and handle much better. Koni yellows will also as well but are limited by their twin tube design. The OEM Boss Tokicos are ok for street duty but to soft for motorsports and people who know what good chassis setup feels like.
3) Rear ride height. Purely cosmetic reasons. Front is not bad. I went with the Ford racing springs that have a more aggressive rear drop then front. fr .3 and rr 1.3. No roll center or panhard needed with that spring as well.
4) Speakers/Sound system sucks. Im not even a sound system guy but im pondering an amp and some nicer speakers when im in the mood for tunes on highway.

Alternate 5) Brake pedal feel- all s197 brembo cars feel like poopoo compared to other performance braking systems. Gonna try S550 6 pots i think as the S550 has much improved pedal feel, but that could just be in the booster.

I am thinking of getting Ford Racing Springs for the same reason... but was worried about the camber wear after 1.3" drop.. Were you able to correct the camber without buying the camber kit or something?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Clutch is bad, yes.

Trans is a slap in the face from Ford to owners when an obviously superior unit was available (TR6060).

I played with the MT82 for long enough to know that the TR6060 wins all the way around.

I LOVE the Boss 302. If prices keep dropping I may have to pick one up.

Swine

Established Member
I am thinking of getting Ford Racing Springs for the same reason... but was worried about the camber wear after 1.3" drop.. Were you able to correct the camber without buying the camber kit or something?
The front only drops .2". The camber won't adjust much and won't wear your tires out at that level but the toe will, you must get an alignment always after doing suspension work on a mc strut.

Rule of thumb is 1.5-2.0 degrees of camber for a street cardepending on your sporting intentions. The more you drive the car aggressively the more your tire wears in unison with the camber wear. If you never drive aggressively try to stay at 1-1.5 of camber. You will get some camber wear but won't affect your tire life enough on what is surely a low mileage low use weekend car.

Users who are viewing this thread