car shakes at 50-60 mph

sabredog

Established Member
i have an 03 cobra convertible that starts to shake,body and steering wheel,at about 50 -60 mph and then gets better as you go faster.i have force balanced the tires and checked for susp. looseness.grabbing frt wheels and checking for any movement.would a wheel bearing possibly cause this.it is very strange.seems more severe at times and mild at others.i'm confused.the car had been hit in the left front by the previous owner.but all was repaired including a new wheel and l/frt wheel bearing.any ideas?thanks i'm a new guy.

vipergts281

Established Member
Like Shleby guy said, it could be the wheel bearings. Check to make sure the bolt is tight.

Btw, what color is your Cobra? I am in Newark almost every week, I live close by. I may have seen you around. What color is/was your SRT 4?

vipergts281

Established Member
sabredog said:
my srt4 was red,sold.my 03 cobra conv. is dsg,black top.i'll keep an eye out for you in newark.very nice car.saleen wheels?
You had to of seen me before in the area. I am usually with some Mach 1's, red, blue, and white.

Saleen replica's, 18x9 all around.

Let me know if you have any questions about these cars, I've been hanging around this site for awhile, so I should be able to help you out or atleast point you in the right direction.

:beer:

sabredog

Established Member
do you know the torque spec. for the frt wheel bearing hub bolt.i may replace them and i'd like to know if running them down with a 1/2" impact is ok.

toro1966

Toro 66
Established Member
I am having the same problem. My steering wheel shakes pretty bad at about 45-50 miles per hour. I gues I'll just take it back into the dealer and let them worry about it. I'll tell them to make sure they check the wheel bearings. Thanks

sabredog

Established Member
well ,i replaced the wheel bearings and torqued to 240 ft.lbs.,the car still intermittently shakes .seems to do it from 50-60 mph.it's not the tires.they have been force balanced and rotated.possible p.s. rack?shelby guy, any other insight?car is very smooth at all other speeds.thanks

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
well, if you dont have c/c plates, there's the big rubber knobber thingy that is the upper strut mount. mine were pretty worn out and made a groan/clunk on slow turns.

rack bushings too, maybe

honestly though the evidence points to tires. that you had them balanced doesnt mean all that much as a bent wheel will balance if you add enough weight to it. it'll still go thump thump thump down the road though.

if these are goodyear eagle f1 tires, throw them away.

vipergts281

Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
there's the big rubber knobber thingy that is the upper strut mount. mine were pretty worn out and made a groan/clunk on slow turns.
My car makes those noises. Do you know where can I find replacement upper strut mounts? Are they hard to install?

Thanks.

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
if these are goodyear eagle f1 tires, throw them away.

Amen. This is sage advice... F1's are the worst balancing-est, uneven wearing-est, no pressure holding-est tires EVER!

toro1966

Toro 66
Established Member
Well mine is going into the dealer tomorrow to have it looked at. I am hoping they are of some help. I know it is not the tires being balanced. The tires have been changed and balanced (BFG COMPs). My suspension is not modified and I have 17000 miles on the car. It has been doing it since I first got it. I brought it into them shortly after I bought it - brand new - and they said it was tire balance and was not covered under warranty. They wanted to charge me 100 bucks to balance the tires. I told them no thanks and then had them balanced at goodyear. Didn't fix the problem. I just never got back around to bringing it back into them until now. If they try and give me the "it's a balancing problem" again crap I am gonna be pretty peeved.

sabredog

Established Member
i replaced the 2 frt tires with bfg kdws in the stock size.i've done a rim runout test on all 4 wheels.they are ok.a driveshaft wouldn't act like that would it.if it started to viberate it would continueas speed increases,correct?

vipergts281

Established Member
sabredog said:
i replaced the 2 frt tires with bfg kdws in the stock size.i've done a rim runout test on all 4 wheels.they are ok.a driveshaft wouldn't act like that would it.if it started to viberate it would continueas speed increases,correct?
Do you plan to drive in the snow often?

KDW's would have been a better choice imo. The "S" in KDWS stands for snow. KDW is for rain (wet), and KD is a dry tire.

Users who are viewing this thread