Centering rear axle

13BlackGT

Established Member
If I adjust PHB to center rear axle, will it affect wheel alignment? It is 1/4" off to drivers side at normal ride height when parked on flat ground. The racestars stick out a bit and is noticeable.

Sent from Oklahoma

Grant808

Established Member
If it's only 1/4" off and you only need to move the axle 1/8" to center, I wouldn't bother with an alignment unless you feel it in your steering on the street.

Radar Doc

Established Member
1/4" will not impact the alignment enough to matter. I adjusted mine that much and it didn't have any effect on the steering whatsoever. My steering wheel was/is perfectly straight. I would save the money.

Having a passenger or two in the backseat, or the difference between an empty/full tank of gas probably moves the axle about that much too.

99% of the time, the best alignment is a factory alignment. JMHO from my experience.

13BlackGT

Established Member
It drives great now, which surprises me because the side to side wheelbase measurements are not equal. I forget how much

Sent from Oklahoma

Reno Five-O

Established Member
I'm dropped 1.5" on FRPP K springs, Just went to 20x9, 20x11's I knew the rear was off by about 1/4" to the driver side when I had my 19's but it's more noticeable with the 315's out back. I installed my Steeda bar and brace and centered it myself and the car feels great. :shrug:

cmsnake

Established Member
FWIW I just had this convo with Steeda bc my '14 GT with only 100mi on it already has an off centered rear. They stated that an alignment was not needed after a panhard bar install/adjustment. Now this is referring to stock ride height.

Sof Top

boost junkie!
Established Member
I adjusted mine about a 1/4" and took it to the alignment shop and they said it was spot on and no need to touch anything.

thebreather

Established Member
I dont understand how centering the rear has anything to do with the front wheels?

HERE YOU GO. if you move the rear wheels centerline,you will only move the steering wheel from off center (ONLY). the rear toe isnt adjustable on our cars with a solid axle.thats stock... but this may wear your rear tires if off over a 1/2 toed in or out on the rear. as for the front you wont change any angles at all what so ever,,,,except left and right toe.. one will be toed in and one will be toed out but total toe will still be the same because the front was never changed....so no tire wear will be present in the front only the steering wheel will be off center.as for the rear,,,who knows where you put it? as for the front its still on but but your steeering wheel is off.

Users who are viewing this thread