Charging problem

ravinshield

Established Member
My 04 cobra died yesterday on the way home. Was able to start it by unplugging battery and reconnecting. Something smelled weird by the battery almost like burned. Checked the battery and it was good. Couldnt check the alternator because volts were to low.(autozone)

While car is on it shows about 11.9 volts, i disconnected the negative cable from the battery while running and car dies. Is it the alternator thats bad?

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
If you are not the original owner I would check all of your battery wiring pos/neg and all of your chassis to block ground straps. If you see any jumbles of electric tape or weird kinks in the cables I would start there, I found issues in my battery harness this way.

I just recently found one of my drivers side ground straps was cut and stuffed so it appeared attached. My guess is that there was a trunk mount kit installed at some point and then removed before I bought my SB, have seen this on a few Cobras now is why I say to check all your wiring. Good luck and hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread