Chasing a draw in my 03 Cobra, GEM wakup?

dumbstixlars

Established Member
Hi all,

So I have had a problem with the battery going dead in my 03 for a while now. It draws 210 milli amps when sitting. I was wondering if hooking up the battery will activate the GEM. I was pulling fuses and when I got to #39 (the GEM) it dropped to 40 mill amps of draw.

My procedure is I unhooked the battery last night, I got up this morning, I have the hood up, I pull a fuse, shut the door, then hook up my ammeter (which then powers the car). Could I be getting an initial current surge from the GEM powering things up?

The car also has a Viper alarm on it that I am suspicious of, but I haven't gone down that rabbit hole yet as I don't have enough evidence that is the problem. I put a new yellow top in the car last Sunday and it was at 13.1 volts when I put it in, last night when I checked, it was down to 12.4V. When idling warm the car charges at 14.3-4 volts.

01yellercobra

Established Member
It could be the GEM. I want to say you need to wait 10 minutes to get a true reading. But don't quote me on that.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

dumbstixlars

Established Member
OK, I hooked it up, it sat there for a while pulling 178 milliamps (lower setting) for about 30 minutes. Now it is sitting at 41 milliamps. This is with the alarm disarmed though. So I am going to switch to the higher amperage rating on the DMM, arm the alarm and see how much it pulls after 30 minutes.

ninty9cobra

Established Member
If the Viper alarm is hooked up to the Gem module fuse it does not let it go into sleep mode and will drain battery. My brother's 03 had a LoJack system and power was hooked up to Gem module fuse and would drain battery.

dumbstixlars

Established Member
I armed it and let it sit for a bit. After about 30 minutes with the alarm armed it was around 70ish millamps down from 210-220 milliamps. Hard to say cause I was on the 10 amp resolution of the meter. I tried switching to the higher resolution setting, but that is protected by a 200 milliamp fuse and it immediately let go.

Users who are viewing this thread