Chronicles of SneakySnakes | Vol III

92GreenGT

Turbos FTW!!!
Established Member
Great work, makes me realize out here in the middle of no where with no jobs I'm never going to get a nice car to drive. If you don't mind me asking, what do you do for a living? Just curious, I just turned 30 and I feel like it's almost too late to get something figured out to get the cars(my fox and something nicer) and I'm just trying to find a decent career. I really don't want to leave my family, money is nice but family comes a mile before money...plus my house is paid for here so that's a bonus.lol

Great work, I'm so jealous of how OCD you are.

Toyless

Established Member
If your house is paid for... One would think anyone with even a trade job and decent credit should be able to drive a viper... Just saying.

paintless302

Established Member
Thanks for all the kind words above :)

Great work, makes me realize out here in the middle of no where with no jobs I'm never going to get a nice car to drive. If you don't mind me asking, what do you do for a living? Just curious, I just turned 30 and I feel like it's almost too late to get something figured out to get the cars(my fox and something nicer) and I'm just trying to find a decent career. I really don't want to leave my family, money is nice but family comes a mile before money...plus my house is paid for here so that's a bonus.lol

Great work, I'm so jealous of how OCD you are.

I'm a mechanical engineer, working in oil & gas. I design (package) sensor services for directional drilling systems. I always knew I'd be an engineer, but never thought I'd be doing what I'm doing. I wanted to be a pilot, go figure! Still a huge aerospace nerd.

It is NEVER too late to get further education or switch careers. In my engineering college there were guys in their 40s and 50s who were tired of their industry and wanted into oil & gas. I myself took a LONG ride through my bachelors degree (6 years), I always tell people the excuse of having to work full time while attending school, which while true, is not really the whole truth. The reality was I spent too much time living the college life in my early years. I really didnt mature until my early 20s, if I had, I would have saved myself a lot of money and heartache. But, everyone has their own path. If you're unhappy where you're at, stop dreaming, start doing.

Blk91stang

Established Member
Premium Member
Beautiful car and simply outstanding job upgrading and making it your own.

It's good to see another successful mechanical engineer. I'm in the power industry myself as a ME. Are you into any other power sports such as boating, Atving, dirt bikes, motorcycles, etc.? Does your house look just as immaculate as your car does? One has to wonder :)

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
I have always wanted to take apart a caliper/powder coat but I dont want to mess up putting it back together and die.

Where do you get those wheel weights? I used sharpie on normal ones (shrug)

What is difference between the orange viper you had and this one, what are the changes between years. Good to know your motor did not fail.

paintless302

Established Member
I have always wanted to take apart a caliper/powder coat but I dont want to mess up putting it back together and die.

Where do you get those wheel weights? I used sharpie on normal ones (shrug)

What is difference between the orange viper you had and this one, what are the changes between years. Good to know your motor did not fail.

There's not really much to mess up as long as you are careful removing the pistons, seals, and dust boots.

I got those wheel weights off amazon for less than $20.

Same longblock architecture but completely forged rotating assembly, more aggressive cam profile, composite intake manifold, lighter flywheel, different valve material, different tune, different trans and rear end ratios, completely different body (hood, roof, hatch is carbon fiber, doors and sills are aluminum, front and rear bumpers are plastic), LED lighting throughout, completely redesigned interior and infotainment, different caliper position (rear) to make way for revised knuckle geometry to correct some toe under track braking. That's all I can remember off the top of my head.

mavisky

Established Member

It's never too late to make a move. I was 30 years old living near family making 35k a year and skating by with no degree. Moved to Atlanta with my wife and I just signed my first 6 figure offer, but we live in the burbs so my cost of living is the same as it was back in Indiana.

paintless302

Established Member
Been enjoying the CRAP out of this car since its return to the lair 2 weeks ago. I have pretty much spent the entirety of every weekend in it :).

Also got a chance to throw on some more goodies, it never ends. Received the custom plaque from DSE that was stamped out of aluminum, powdered, and laser engraved. It will replace the oem "GTS" badge on the dash. I always wanted a custom plaque like the newer ACRs, now I have one.

1496898081186_zps20tgue2a.jpg

Then we shed some weight with a li-ion battery kit from Doug Shelby Engineering. With this add-on the car's weight should be ~3275lbs.

Details on the battery from DSE;

This is an 8 lb lithium ion battery, charger, and bracket kit which is a completely bolt-in kit for the Gen V Viper. This kit saves about 25 lbs from my OEM 56029646AA battery, which weighs in at 32.7 lbs.

There are a lot of batteries on the market. Why this one? This is a built-to-order battery that is reasonably priced, safe, and built to last. Instead of just welded tabs, the cells are secured by nuts with copper bus bar and insulating layers between. There are several other internal features that make these mechanically robust.
• Designed for Starting Vehicles = Longer Life
• Wide Operating Temperature Range
• Robust Internal Construction
• Vibration and Shock Resistant

In addition, these are very electrically safe. I’ve not seen any other Lithium battery on the market with the all protection in these have. Many times there is very little or no internal protection. The protection is both at an individual cell level but also an overall battery level. Safety Protection Internal To Battery:
• Cells Individually Protected
• Over Charging
• Over Discharge
• Short Circuit
• Penetration
• Thermal Shock
• Protection from fires
• Protection from explosions

Charger: I have included a charger with the kit with an algorithm specifically designed for this battery. A compatible charger is very important for battery safety and long life. For convenience the battery has a push-button voltage display on top. An aluminum bracket compatible with the OEM holes completes the kit. I do recommend to taking the extra step to keep this battery on the included charger when the car is sitting in storage for a long period as a precaution against parasitic current draw. (DSE offers a nice connector-mount kit to make that convenient, too.) While it would be protected from a complete drain it isn't ideal or convenient to have a low battery when you go to start your Viper.

Who is this battery kit for? Almost any Gen V Viper owner that wants to save significant weight (Other gens or vehicles OK too just no bracket kit for those as of yet, contact me directly).

Who is this battery not for? People with huge stereo systems or devices that cause abnormally high amounts of electrical draw, people who want to sit in the car and listen to the radio for long periods of time without the engine running. People who drive in freezing temps a lot (all Lithium Ion batteries of this type do not charge well under freezing temperatures or discharge well under -20C, while not common on a Viper the reduced battery capacity at these temperatures should be taken into consideration.)

What does DSE know about lithium ion batteries? I have been the provider of lithium ion battery pit and garage support equipment for IndyCar since 2012 (amongst other products and projects.)

Is it safe? The chemistry in these and other automotive type lithium ion batteries are lithium iron phosphate (LiFePo 4) which is inherently safer than the chemistries used in such products as Samsung cell phones and 787 Dreamliners. There are always risks but all of the items listed above greatly reduce them. What makes a LiOn battery unsafe? Poor design, poor/cheap manufacturing, mismatched application, incorrect charger, no protection circuitry.... There are lighter batteries on the market but the ruggedness of this one and a bit more capacity I feel is a good compromise for the application.

IMG_0845_zpsgfjhuuk8.jpg

IMG_0861_zps24ha90f3.jpg

I received the battery kit over a month ago, and it spent the beginning part of its life on the charger, waiting for the sneaky one's return.

0602172125-01_zpslekgwfa9.jpg

When I got the car back, I swapped the oem battery out (which was heavy as all hell), and dropped the DSE unit in. The battery is extremely light, yet feels very solid, and the included brackets make the install a breeze.

0602172126_zpspvfjek2z.jpg

0610172001-01_zpsdsouaija.jpg

It's nice to be able to check the battery level with a press of a button;

0610172002a-01_zpsjpfg0if8.jpg

After using the battery for 2 weeks the best compliment I can give it is that I don't know its there. Car fires up as quickly as it did on the oem battery, and with the weight savings, I don't have to feel guilty about eating entire dominos deep dish pizzas during my house of cards binge sessions.

paintless302

Established Member

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I love your car. One of my favorite non-ACR Gen V's. The blue/black/yellow is perfect for the body lines.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Holy smokes that car is gorgeous!!!
Good job man.

whiplash920

Established Member
Very interesting thread...great attention to detail and focus without getting lost in the middle.

I've been in the market for a gen v viper for a bit now, if you don't mind my asking, how many miles were on it when you bought it...and now, lol. I remember how quickly the miles came on in my gt500, unfair really especally for a weekend racer.

Great car, nice work and the only color I'd get.

Users who are viewing this thread