cobra pads rubbing

Marvin9075

Established Member
I recently did the cobra brake upgrade on my 99 gt... I bought brand new cobra calipers and new 13 inch stop tech drilled and slotted rotors. While driving it has made a grinding noise and later found out its the pads touching the rotors... the car drives fine, there's no smoking or over heating occurring just the annoying noise... do i just need to wear the pads down a little or is there something else i should be looking too fix... thanks

mnewxcv

Established Member
pads touching the rotors isn't really a problem, they will rest just about on the rotor, but are they 'rubbing' and dragging? can the car move freely?

Marvin9075

Established Member
It’s deffinetly the fronts and everything moves freely ... nothing his hanging it up at all ... car doesn’t pull in any direction when I stop ... soon as I tap the brake the noise goes away .

Marvin9075

Established Member
so it is coming from the rear.... it started happening after I took the brakes off to fix the broken wheel studs... maybe in installed something wrong on there... I ll have to take a look to see what's causing it

Marvin9075

Established Member
If it's a grinding noise it's probably a rock or you got a pad in backwards.

Take it apart and put it back together.

I ll have to take a look to see... its weird because when I put everything back together I drove it to work the next and heard nothing.... then on my way home I did a couple pulls with the car from 2nd to 3rd and then started hearing the noise... its not extremely loud and its not causing any significant issues like smoking or locking up so I am assuming it must be one of the two things you mentioned.

mnewxcv

Established Member
I ll have to take a look to see... its weird because when I put everything back together I drove it to work the next and heard nothing.... then on my way home I did a couple pulls with the car from 2nd to 3rd and then started hearing the noise... its not extremely loud and its not causing any significant issues like smoking or locking up so I am assuming it must be one of the two things you mentioned.

after driving, are your rear wheels hot to the touch? (don't ever touch the rotor)

Marvin9075

Established Member
It’s all fixed ... the caliper bolt on the back left side wasent tightend enough ... it was fairly loose ... snugged it up ... no more noise

Users who are viewing this thread