coilpack to coil on plug

96 cobra pr

Established Member
HI I want to know to some body have or due the swap in 96 cobra to convert the coilpack system in coil on plug and what is the benefits he obtain if gain horsepower and better spark blown ?

98cobra#1222

that's just my game
Established Member
What Tabres said, actually there is a reduction in ignition system performance at high boost/rpm since the wasted spark ignition will be telling the coil to fire every compression stroke and exhaust stroke (wasted spark). Now the coils are designed in the 99+ application only fire on the compression stroke and thus have more time to re-energize before being fired again. In our cars with COP conversion the coils don't get as long to re-energize before discharging again which can lead to weak spark and spark blowout. Typically you can just tighten the plug gap and not worry but if you're shooting for big boost it may be a factor.

Last edited:

nomoretickets

Established Member
As already said, only benefit is a cleaner engine bay. Performance wise, its at best a wash, if not a hindrance.

oooooh snap

Stable Genius
Established Member
What Tabres said, actually there is a reduction in ignition system performance at high boost/rpm since the wasted spark ignition will be telling the coil to fire every compression stroke and exhaust stroke (wasted spark). Now the coils are designed in the 99+ application only fire on the compression stroke and thus have more time to re-energize before being fired again. In our cars with COP conversion the coils don't get as long to re-energize before discharging again which can lead to weak spark and spark blowout. Typically you can just tighten the plug gap and not worry but if you're shooting for big boost it may be a factor.

FYI I've converted to cop and spin my car to 8000rpm, with no issue.

ZeroDCX

Established Member
98Cobra#1222 is right. There's a big difference in cylinder pressures between NA and boosted converting to COP with a waste spark ignition. The stock system is preferred for our cars in boosted applications. But that's not to say that COP won't work, 98SaleenCobra made over 600whp converted to COP with our waste spark system.

Helomech74

Established Member
I'm making well over 700 to the tires using the waste spark converted to coil on plug with no issues at all. I'm not running crazy cylinder pressures either, so that might play a roll in this as well. I'll be converting a coil near plug setup shortly using LS coils, so my conversion harness and OEM coils will be for sale.

98cobra#1222

that's just my game
Established Member
Over 800rwhp here with waste spark COP. Running a pretty tight plug gap at .22, too.

Are you still running TR6's, I am thinking about switching to some iridiums like the tr55ix or tr65ix's. Also are your coils lower mile OEMs, I am thinking of buying some new or really low mile OEM coils to try and help mine out. My plugs are gapped even tighter than yours are and we ran out of steam at 23 lbs of boost. Oddly enough though while playing around with my boost controller to try and help the turbo spool faster I saw boost spikes of 22 or so lbs and never got a hint of spark blowout on the street. Not sure if a loaded dyno can make it more prevalent or not.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Are you still running TR6's, I am thinking about switching to some iridiums like the tr55ix or tr65ix's. Also are your coils lower mile OEMs, I am thinking of buying some new or really low mile OEM coils to try and help mine out. My plugs are gapped even tighter than yours are and we ran out of steam at 23 lbs of boost. Oddly enough though while playing around with my boost controller to try and help the turbo spool faster I saw boost spikes of 22 or so lbs and never got a hint of spark blowout on the street. Not sure if a loaded dyno can make it more prevalent or not.

Yeah, I'm still on TR6's. They've always worked for me. I tried BR7EF's at one point and the car didn't like them. I've also had TR6's gapped tighter down at like .18 before and had more issues than when we opened them back up to .22, go figure...

My coils, I think are low mileage. I bought them from MPS down in Georgia. They came out of what I was told was a low mileage Mach 1. Probably should have just bought new ones if I could do over again but oh well...

What's interesting is when I had my car tuned last we did get intermittent spark blowout on dyno on 22lbs. We took it out on the street and didn't ever experience it. I would guess the loading on the dyno can influence it.

Users who are viewing this thread