Dropbox IPO

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
It seems any time there is a hot IPO it drops shortly after. I might watch this one, if it dips I may throw a couple bucks in it.

oooooh snap

Stable Genius
Established Member
Agreed, however I felt this one slipped under the radar a bit.

Also given its platform, the fact that it got in early, and that the moniker given for all cloud-based storage is “Dropbox”, I have high hopes.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Have they changed their policies to make it so that their service is even worth it? You get 15GB free from Google. MEGA gives you 50GB free. Dropbox only gives you 2GB free. I wouldn't invest anything in them without some deep research into what would even make them worth it. They've been around for years and still don't offer anything of value to consumers that others aren't doing better. (Not that I know of, anyway.)

oooooh snap

Stable Genius
Established Member
Have they changed their policies to make it so that their service is even worth it? You get 15GB free from Google. MEGA gives you 50GB free. Dropbox only gives you 2GB free. I wouldn't invest anything in them without some deep research into what would even make them worth it. They've been around for years and still don't offer anything of value to consumers that others aren't doing better. (Not that I know of, anyway.)
The storage cap was a concern of mine but I bet that’s going to change now with the influx of money.

tistan

Established Member
I use them for business 2 terabytes cost $150 a year. It is kind of nice that I can work off any computer and drop the info in drop box and then get it anywhere.

Blown 89

Established Member
That's my thought too. I just don't see what they plan on offering the consumer that everyone else already does for free. Most people i know moved away from dropbox ages ago.

bigmoose

Established Member
There is something shady going on with Dropbox. I have a Dropbox account I don't use. I received an email saying my account has been inactive for a while and it will be deleted unless I log in and confirm to keep. I took no action and shortly before the IPO I received an email saying thanks for confirmation to keep your account. I assume they report user base statistics and they are doing some shady business to keep accounts open to look good.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I think they're doing an IPO just to keep the lights on. They'll probably be filing bankruptcy within 24 months.

1996slowbra

Established Member
I think they're doing an IPO just to keep the lights on. They'll probably be filing bankruptcy within 24 months.

This, I wouldn't touch this stock with a 10 foot pole. This is a incredibly competitive space with much much bigger players in the game that can afford to take bigger losses than an independent company.

Just off the top of my head there is OneDrive(Microsoft), Drive (Google), AmazonDrive (duh) and Box(independant) who are direct competitors for them. OneDrive and Drive are just given to you if you use GSuite or O365 which is going to eat up a hell of a lot of corporate contracts right there and these companies dont even break even on personal accounts. Everyone with an amazon prime account has access to the amazon one.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Your two weeks late on ipo. It did not do much.

1B96BBB9-ED52-40DB-A1C4-3199EBFCA650.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread