Finally jumping in.... Track day

chris_302

Established Member
Pads, Dot 4, Oil change. I wouldn't go all out since it's the first HPDE with the boss. Track it, then see what it needs.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Thanks guys for all the info! I'll keep you posted!

IamRacerX

Established Member
Guys.... I ordered new pads all the way around. Brake fluid will be flushed and replaced with good dot 4.
Any suggestions on engine oil replacement? I've been using the Ford synthetic since day one. I have read it's not the best for track duty. While I'm not going to be going crazy on track, I do want the best for the job.
Thanks

'03GTinFLA

Established Member
You may know your track well already but one of the things that helped me the most between my first HPDE at Sebring and my 2nd was watching a video on youtube by randy probst in a Porsche GT3 where he did two laps and talked the whole way through. He explained what he was doing, what he was looking for on the track, apex, etc. I watched it at least twice a night before bed for a couple of weeks prior to track day and it really helped. Knowing the track like the back of my hand, watching it at the speed he was running, which made if feel like slow mo when I was out there, and hearing over and over what to do really helped me. That second HPDE I wasn't worried about what was coming up and didn't have to waist valuable brain power on the track, just focused on driving and my heel/toe work, which is just god awful. Haha. And if any of you are going to Sebring with track guys in May, shoot me a PM. I'll be there with a couple guys. Always good to meet new people.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
I love watching the Pobst videos. Being able to jump into a new car and wring out a great lap right out of the chute is a real talent.

IamRacerX

Established Member
Another question for those that might know......
Will running track wheels/tires without tpms in them have any adverse effects on the car?

IamRacerX

Established Member
Anyone have a suggestion for brake fluid? I seem to be getting a lot of different answers.

IamRacerX

Established Member
Motul RBF600 is pretty much the go-to. A lot of people like the castrol synthetic stuff but it is VERY pricey.
Thanks... That's what I ended up ordering. I used it in my e46 M3 10+ years ago and it was very good.

Last edited:

csvt98

Road Course Ringer
Established Member
Castro SRF is roughly $70, the Motul 600 would be it at around $15. Have fun on track and remember, everything between the walls is considered the track! If you run off the paved road all the way you do have to pit usually. T3 at Road Atlanta is always a fun experience!

Sent from my Grabber Blue Boss 302 using svtperformance.com mobile app

IamRacerX

Established Member
Castro SRF is roughly $70, the Motul 600 would be it at around $15. Have fun on track and remember, everything between the walls is considered the track! If you run off the paved road all the way you do have to pit usually. T3 at Road Atlanta is always a fun experience!

Sent from my Grabber Blue Boss 302 using svtperformance.com mobile app
Thanks for the advise. I was kinda planning on staying on the pavement..... ;)

IamRacerX

Established Member
Pads on, fluids changed.... Just have to get my tires ready to go. Thanks again everyone for all the info.

IamRacerX

Established Member
I got another question for those guys running the track key on track... I have seen a few owners mention the track key might run a little to lean. Am I better off running the regular key on track? I mean it's called the track key so I was planning on using it on track ( I never use the standard key usually)
Any advise is welcome!

Coz

Established Member
Premium Member
Definitely the RBF600 Motul. Wilwood EXP600 is very similar.

I did a few track days with the PowerStop Z26 pads in my non-Brembo 2014 Mustang GT with the RBF600. They did great. And they are quiet on the street. This past weekend I just upgraded to Brembo calipers and installed Z26 pads again. I did buy their Track Day pads too and will probably try them for the next track day. Also installed Vorshlag ducted backing plates but have not hooked up the ducts and the Vorshlag grill inlet ducts. They have a nice setup for the 13-14 Mustangs. It will also work for 13 302s. Not sure about 12 302s.

Mine is not a track pack car and it calls for 5W-20. The same motor on a Track Pack car calls for 5W-50. That spread of weight is subject to more shearing. If you change your oil frequently that should not be an issue. I am running 5W-30 instead. Mine's an A6 so I'm also not revving as high as the 3.73 guys. I'm using 6 quarts of Royal Purple HPS (non-API) mixed with 2 quarts of their regular 5W-30 API. The HPS has more zinc and includes their Synerlec additive. I also have a Ford Racing oil separator so any concern about the additional zinc's impact on the cats is minimized..

_Snake_

Established Member
I got another question for those guys running the track key on track... I have seen a few owners mention the track key might run a little to lean. Am I better off running the regular key on track? I mean it's called the track key so I was planning on using it on track ( I never use the standard key usually)
Any advise is welcome!

I couldn't imagine NOT running the TK. I remember seeing a few posts about potentially lean conditions with it, but left with the impression that there were some people giving the issue way more attention than it deserved. Kind of like how the media hypes things up.

Personally, I'd run the TK and worry more about how to wipe the smile off my face.

IamRacerX

Established Member
Over on another mustang forum they said to add at least a few gallons of 100 octane to the tank as a safety precaution. I'll do that. Surely it won't hurt.

Users who are viewing this thread