First Shelby!

usaf_branham

Established Member
I just got a ‘17 Avalanche Grey GT350. It’s a certified preowned with 5k miles. I am pretty surprised at how different this car feels compared to the 2015 Performance Pack GT with a Procharger and full exhaust. I was expecting it to be very similar, but in reality it’s a completely different car. Overall, it just feels more balanced. It does everything well. I never knew a mustang could handle like this.

My only complaint is the brakes squeal like hell at slow speeds. I am debating on taking the brakes apart, cleaning everything up, and reinstalling them or just taking it to the closest dealer to see if they will fix it under warranty. Anyone else have issues with squeal?

I am also thinking about cutting the resonators off and replacing it with straight tubing.

Anyway, just thought i’d introduce myself in the 350 forums. Take care!

Osiris

Established Member
I just got a ‘17 Avalanche Grey GT350. It’s a certified preowned with 5k miles. I am pretty surprised at how different this car feels compared to the 2015 Performance Pack GT with a Procharger and full exhaust. I was expecting it to be very similar, but in reality it’s a completely different car. Overall, it just feels more balanced. It does everything well. I never knew a mustang could handle like this.

My only complaint is the brakes squeal like hell at slow speeds. I am debating on taking the brakes apart, cleaning everything up, and reinstalling them or just taking it to the closest dealer to see if they will fix it under warranty. Anyone else have issues with squeal?

I am also thinking about cutting the resonators off and replacing it with straight tubing.

Congrats!

On the brakes....I have 8600 miles on mine..not even a hint of brake squeal...I would definitely have a dealer look at it

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

galaxy

Established Member
Welcome dude! I think we all have the brake squeal. One cure I’ve heard that’s supposed to be pretty effective is applying a small film of anti-seize compound just in the area where the piston contacts the back of the pad. Doesn’t take much. I haven’t done mine yet because 1) May look into painting/powdercoating my calipers to some other color, and 2) EBC is coming out with their Red Pads for our car. Probably gonna swap to those for the street just to beat brake dust! Also keep in mind the caliper bolts are one-time-use items. Look into caliperfexion studs. They’re gorgeous.

Agree with all your other comments on this car!

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
I too thought it was completely different from my S550 GT. Weird how something so similar looking can be wayyyy different.

My brakes squealed at slow speeds, and i’d Read where others did too. I went to a desolate area and practiced some heel/toe and just some rather hard braking and POOF...went away. I have zero technical data for this and it may have just been a coincidence, but i’m Not the only one that had luck doing it this way. enjoy, AG is the color I wished i had!

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
If it was driven like a grandma, the pads are probably glazed. Try some high speed stops down to a very low speed a few times over and see if it helps.

And dealers........suck! 99% of the techs just don't care.

Tom

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
If it was driven like a grandma, the pads are probably glazed. Try some high speed stops down to a very low speed a few times over and see if it helps.

And dealers........suck! 99% of the techs just don't care.

Tom
Exactly what I propose.

frye

I have a 2017 avalanche grey as well and it’s an awesome car, anyways my brakes squeal just like yours

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

usaf_branham

Established Member
Put your seatbelt on first...those brakes are REALLY good! Lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

That’s no joke! This car stops in one hell of a hurry! Still squeaking tho. Oh well... I see a set of red stuff pads in the future.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Squealing brakes is a common complaint for these cars. That's just the nature of high performance brake pads. It's not unique to the GT350.

Welcome and congrats on the new ride!

N9TMARE

Established Member
My only complaint is the brakes squeal like hell at slow speeds. I am debating on taking the brakes apart, cleaning everything up, and reinstalling them
It’s just a ford. If you can’t deal with problems then go buy real sport car.

Zeromaz

Established Member
I had a similar problem with my base 350 before i traded in for the R. I bought it with 13 miles on it and they would squeel nonstop. Quite embarrassing. I cleaned the crap out of them and within 20 miles they would be back to squeeling. Never did figure out what the issue was but i’ve put 3,000 miles on my R and don’t make it a point to clean it any time brake dust gets on it. Haven’t had any squeeling whatsoever

ANGREY

Established Member
http://www.autos.com/aftermarket-parts/why-do-performance-brakes-squeak

You can have them quiet, you can have them dust free, you can have them cheap, you can have them high performance.

You can't have all of the above.

The solution for most "exotics" is to provide more brake than the car really needs and use less squeaky materials. So when you see 8 piston calipers on a 3000 lb car, the brakes could usually perform better with steel components, but they sacrifice a little bit of braking performance for pads that squeak less and create less dust.

The squeaky issue is easily solved by swapping pads. (and less dust) it's just going to come via slightly reduced braking performance (peak and fade).

ANGREY

Established Member
On a separate note, when the E cars finally take over, not only will they have virtually unlimited theoretical power, but they'll also have the advantage of using recharge to aid in the braking process (so they don't have to use bread loaves for calipers)

usaf_branham

Established Member
I want to float something past everyone before I take it to the dealer... I haven’t been overly concerned about this because I assume it is the flat plane crank causing it, but does anyone else’s car feel like it picks up a vibe between 1800 and 2200ish RPM?

I’ve read quite a bit about some people with valve train noise around this RPM, but it’s not valve noise... it reminds me of a bad cv or improperly balanced driveshaft... I’ve deducted that it’s not driveline because it only does it between those rpm’s and it does it in every gear under light pedal. Is this a normal trait of the Voodoo?

Users who are viewing this thread