Fixing header leak

can04cobra

Established Member
Hey Guys
I have an 04 cobra with AR headers installed myself with stock gaskets. I have a leak.on drivers side I did not use any rtv or ultra copper like I have read of others using. My question is to the guys who know or have used it what do you recommend? Both sides of gasket or just between gasket and header?

Thanks in advance

MG0h3

Established Member
If you are going to use it it a light film in both sides of the gasket is good.

Stock gaskets are metal so you very well may just have a loose bolt you can tighten up.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

can04cobra

Established Member
I'd like to think that was the case they didn't seal.the first time or second time I installed them and both times were out of car. It almost looks as if it's leaking at the header flange itself. This time I have the k member dropped and tackling it that way. Already checked all btw and none are loose.

MG0h3

Established Member
Huh. And you’ve confirmed the leak with a scope?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

can04cobra

Established Member
Sorry checked all bolts not btw

No scop.can just hear it and on dyno a/f is reading lean on drivers bank.

Since I dropped the k member and x pipe I hooked up my air hose and set a regulator at 15psi put hose into header collector and jammed a bunch of rags around air hose. Then sprayed soapy water until I found the bubbling/leak.
Like I said it's hard to tell if it's leaking between gasket and header or the header flange itself

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
I don't use a gasket at all with the copper rtv.
Just a nice bead around each port , let it sit a bit to skin over , then install .same with the collector if it is a 3 bolt flange , or some exhaust sealant on the slip type.
Could also use the copper rtv on the slip joints as well .

can04cobra

Established Member
Thanks for the tips and suggestions guys.
Found the problem it was a small.hole in the header right beside the flange. Gaskets were all good and bolts were all.tight.

Users who are viewing this thread