Flex fuel tunes available for Boosted Coyotes:

Shaun@AED

Flex fuel tunes now available for Boosted 11-14 Coyote application.

*NOTE* Ford did not complete Flex Fuel programming on most Mustang Calibrations. Although much of the fueling changes were completed, Spark strategy changes based on Ethanol do not work properly in all Coyote calibrations (it's hit and miss).
As such I am disabling Spark changes for Ethanol and will be including 2 Flex fuel tunes:
1 with Gasoline ignition timing
1 with Ethanol ignition timing (Race).

It is important to know the difference as running the tune with High or 'Race' ignition timing on gasoline can result in severe engine damage.
To minimize to potential for engine damage all tunes with 'Race' ignition timing for E85 will have Traction contorl / Advance track disabled. This 'Race' tune will show warning lights on the dash for ABS/TC/Advance track and will clue in the driver that the Race tune with high ignition timing is currently programmed and they should be running E85.
The Performance Flex Fuel tune will have Traction control/advance track enabled like stock and have an ignition timing curve for pump gas. Gains on this tune with E85 are still significant over gasoline.

*NOTE* When Keep Alive Memory (KAM) is cleared the vehicle may experience a hard start until the ECU learns the Ethanol content of the fuel.

Till the end of the 1st Quarter 2015 (end of March) Customers currently running an E85 tune thru AED that have been updated or completed within the past 1.5 years will receive the Flex Fuel tune update at no charge upon request. Tunes prior to that would need to be converted to the newer strategies I've been testing with in order to ensure Flex Fuel works properly. There will be a $100 charge to convert older tunes for Flex Fuel use.

dennisn

Established Member
If you don't mind educating me. (I'm sure there are others). So with a flex tune some think you can just put in whatever type fuel and the computer will adjust accordingly. Could be half tank of 93 half e85. Or whatever and drive however you please continuing to put in whatever fuel you want. I've heard others state you should run it as low as possible then fill up with other type fuel and drive at least a min of x miles before going wot. How are the flex tunes intended to be used?

Also if I have a dedicated e85 tune and will stay on it the whole season is there a benefit going to say your race style flex tune? Does this tune then adjust depending on e content any better than say your e85 one was originally tuned on?

92fiveohfox

Established Member
I run your e85 tune all the time right now on my Paxton setup. The flex fuel tune sounds nice but I'm a little confused how it works. You said the first one has gasoline ignition timing. How is it better than a regular 93 tune then? Is the car allowed to add a greater amount of timing depending on the fuel/knock but the baseline timing is just for 93?

Is the ethanol ignition timing tune, the same as the E85 tune I run now?

Very cool product, thanks for putting it out for us.

q6543

Established Member
I'm procharged with a 93 tune from you.

is the flexfuel tune less powerful than a normal e85 tune?
will I have to upgrade fuel from my id1000s 17v b.a.p.?
can I get the flex tune safely without a new round of datalogs back and forth?

Last edited:

4VFTW

Established Member
the timing is fixed in his tunes in so far as on the regular 93 tune if you put e85 in the car it wont add any additional timing , but would adjust fueling to run properly. Now if you put gasoline in the car on the Race tune bad things will happen because even though it will adjust fueling the timing will still be too high.

92fiveohfox

Established Member
the timing is fixed in his tunes in so far as on the regular 93 tune if you put e85 in the car it wont add any additional timing , but would adjust fueling to run properly. Now if you put gasoline in the car on the Race tune bad things will happen because even though it will adjust fueling the timing will still be too high.

If that's the case, why does he say "Gains on this tune with E85 are still significant over gasoline." How would there be any gains if there is no increased timing? Just from the cooler running E85?

helloWorld

Established Member
I currently use Shaun's flex fuel tune on my NA coyote. I can confirm that timing at WOT is maxed out (at least on my car) to 27 degrees on both gasoline and pure pump E-85 (E-70 in the winter time.) I have actually used the flex fuel portion and it works well. I started with gasoline only and when I filled up with pump E-85, the transition was smooth. The only thing I had to do when I did that drastic of a fuel change was drive it around for a bit so that the ECU could learn ethanol content. Other than that, it is a working flex fuel tune.

Now, I run pump E-85 with about 2 to 3 gallons of 91 octane, due to the fact that my car experiences single digit temperatures on cold startups in the morning. I learned my lesson the hard way that the car will not start on its own with just pump E-85 in single digit temperatures. I went to start my car one morning and it died shortly after it fired up. Immediately cranked it a second time, died shortly after. Third crank, I put my foot on the pedal and left it at 1500 rpm for about 45 seconds, and then it was able to idle somewhat okay lol.

* EDIT * I should mention that I am on his performance variant. I have not tried the race variant due to the fact that I need TC for snow and ice.

Last edited:

Shaun@AED

If you don't mind educating me. (I'm sure there are others). So with a flex tune some think you can just put in whatever type fuel and the computer will adjust accordingly. Could be half tank of 93 half e85. Or whatever and drive however you please continuing to put in whatever fuel you want. I've heard others state you should run it as low as possible then fill up with other type fuel and drive at least a min of x miles before going wot. How are the flex tunes intended to be used?

Also if I have a dedicated e85 tune and will stay on it the whole season is there a benefit going to say your race style flex tune? Does this tune then adjust depending on e content any better than say your e85 one was originally tuned on?

You can technically run any mixture of Gas and Ethanol and the ECU will adjust the fueling properly, however I recommend having at least 70% Ethanol when running the Race tune.
The only real benefit I can think of for this style of tune is never having to use the 'Fuel Pump' tune to drain the fuel tank when swapping fuels.

The Flex Fuel 'Race' tune would be equivalent to any E85 tune you currently have from me, however the Flex Fuel tune would be more 'refined' as ethanol blends change over the seasons.

I'm procharged with a 93 tune from you.

is the flexfuel tune less powerful than a normal e85 tune?
will I have to upgrade fuel from my id1000s 17v b.a.p.?
can I get the flex tune safely without a new round of datalogs back and forth?

The Flex Fuel 'Race' tune would perform identical to your current E85 tune. The Flex Fuel 'Performance' tune would be slower, but still FAR more powerful than if you were running gasoline.
All fueling requirements would be the same. IE, you would need to have a fuel system that can fuel the engine properly on E85.
Flex fuel tuning takes careful consideration with fuel trims in a certain area of the maf curve. I would require data logs on gasoline in order to ensure a proper Flex Fuel tune.

Marc is correct. I have fixed ignition timing that will not adjust with Ethanol for 2 reasons, but I'll only list the big one:
In the unlikely event an exhaust leak occurs near the O2 sensors the ECU will infer a change in Ethanol content. A lean O2 reading means Ethanol has been added to the fuel. This means an exhaust leak near the O2 sensor will cause the ECU to ADD Timing if allowed to, and if the engine is running gasoline the results on an 11:1 compression boosted engine can be disastrous, especially when we are talking about an 8-10+ degree change in ignition timing. My solution is to have a completely safe Flex Fuel tune for Gasoline or any blend of Ethanol and a 'Race' tune dialed in for Maximum power only on E70 or higher.

Last edited:

redline5.0

Established Member
I currently use Shaun's flex fuel tune on my NA coyote. I can confirm that timing at WOT is maxed out (at least on my car) to 27 degrees on both gasoline and pure pump E-85 (E-70 in the winter time.) I have actually used the flex fuel portion and it works well. I started with gasoline only and when I filled up with pump E-85, the transition was smooth. The only thing I had to do when I did that drastic of a fuel change was drive it around for a bit so that the ECU could learn ethanol content. Other than that, it is a working flex fuel tune.

Now, I run pump E-85 with about 2 to 3 gallons of 91 octane, due to the fact that my car experiences single digit temperatures on cold startups in the morning. I learned my lesson the hard way that the car will not start on its own with just pump E-85 in single digit temperatures. I went to start my car one morning and it died shortly after it fired up. Immediately cranked it a second time, died shortly after. Third crank, I put my foot on the pedal and left it at 1500 rpm for about 45 seconds, and then it was able to idle somewhat okay lol.

* EDIT * I should mention that I am on his performance variant. I have not tried the race variant due to the fact that I need TC for snow and ice.

Hmmmm I've never had a single issue with my car in the winter on e85 and shauns tune. Last winter I did a cold start video when it was 15* out and e90, it cranks another second or 2 longer but fires right up and idles like a champ.

Fast forward to last week, I got my FF Perf and Drag tune. I will be switching back over to e85 shortly but I was having some ruff starts on both 93 and e85 but he dialed that in for me. I'll let you know how it goes here as it was 1* out a couple of mornings ago.

helloWorld

Established Member
Hmmmm I've never had a single issue with my car in the winter on e85 and shauns tune. Last winter I did a cold start video when it was 15* out and e90, it cranks another second or 2 longer but fires right up and idles like a champ.

Fast forward to last week, I got my FF Perf and Drag tune. I will be switching back over to e85 shortly but I was having some ruff starts on both 93 and e85 but he dialed that in for me. I'll let you know how it goes here as it was 1* out a couple of mornings ago.

Well, I will get into contact with Shaun and see what he can do for me! Maybe get some more fuel in there during cold startups? I don't know tuning much lol.

burke985

Established Member
Got my tunes from you the other day and all i can say is wow, e85 is glorious thank you sir for all your hard work and dedication to your customers it is very much appreciated car pulls like a raped ape even on performance tune.

Last edited:

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
What's needed on a stock 2012 to run the e70 tune? Meaning if I ran my car down to 25 mi from empty then filled up w e85 would I be able to run The AED non race hybrid tune or would I need bigger injectors?

burke985

Established Member
What's needed on a stock 2012 to run the e70 tune? Meaning if I ran my car down to 25 mi from empty then filled up w e85 would I be able to run The AED non race hybrid tune or would I need bigger injectors?

I'm on an 82mm pulley and needed the id 1000 with his tune on pump gas so at a minimal you would need injectors.

Users who are viewing this thread