Front wheels not centered side to side

boj311

Established Member
I measured the face of my wheels to the fender and found the passenger side sticks out about 1/4" further than the driver side on my 2014 GT. I installed Koni shocks, so I'm not sure if it's always been like this. It's almost impossible to see visually with the stock wheels, but once I upgrade to wider wheels, it's going to be very obvious. Just wondering if anyone has seen this before or has any recommendations on what could be going on. Thanks in advance.

boj311

Established Member
I still need to get an alignment done, I was just wondering if this was a common issue that would be easily remedied by an alignment or if there's something else I can do. I'll try to get it aligned this week and see what happens.

debit_free_2010

Established Member
A front wheel alignment isn't going to center the k-member, sounds like the body panels aren't centered on the frame, Nothing you can really do about that except massage the fenders to close any gap you're worried about people seeing.

noldevin

Established Member
It also depends how you're doing your measurement. If you're measuring at the top of the wheel it could definitely be camber. If you measure at the center it should be the same regardless of alignment.
These cars do have pretty loose manufacturer tolerances so it's definitely not abnormal to have some of the body panels or suspension mounts a bit off.
You'll also want to make sure the springs and mounts on both sides are seated correctly. If you re-used the stock mounts when you changed the struts they could have been damaged on removal (very common).

Can you notice any abnormal driving/steering characteristics?

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
This is not unheard of, the K members are not centered from the factory and there is some play available during install. Use a plumbob and measure accordingly to get it centered and then get your alignment. Unless you plan on really tracking the car or are having interference issues, I would go straight to the front end alignment and not worry about the K member right now and deal with it in the future if you ever end up removing or replacing it.

mavisky

Established Member
Sounds like you may have not indexed the upper strut mounts correctly and have them out of sync. This will give one more negative camber than the other and could be partially responsible for this differing measurement. My guess is that if you got an alignment you'd see drastically different camber figures between the two wheels. Check this first before you spend any money or assume your entire frame is off-center.

boj311

Established Member
How can I check that the upper strut mounts are out of sync? I have maximum motorsports caster/camber plates installed as well, if that matters. They are both similarly adjusted.

I am measuring to the center of the wheel, and getting a 1/4" difference.

The car drives and handles fine, no issues there. I am running Konis with steeda sports.

Is there something I need to adjust BEFORE the alignment?

Thanks again for your help.

mavisky

Established Member
The stock strut mounts have a mark on them telling you which way to align them, if you're on aftermarket plates my advice doesn't matter. I'd move straight to the alignment.

stags

Established Member
I have the Same problem. To the point where only my front passenger wheel rubs. Drives me insane. Subd for fix ideas

Last edited:

lsxjunkie

Established Member
My car is the same way. My front K-Member is about an inch off towards the passenger side. I just live with it.

boj311

Established Member
Update:
I finally got an alignment done and nothing changed. I guess I will just live with it for now.

Bad V2

Established Member
Back from the dead thread. I have this problem, noticed after lowering with wider wheels. Is there a fix? Anyone tried centering the k member? Mine also is favoring the passenger side.

Users who are viewing this thread